View Full Version : Live capture with FCP? HELP HELP!!

Michael Rapadas
November 25th, 2006, 05:23 PM
OK, I shoot in 720p uncompressed through firewire 400 straight to FCP caputre. Many times, I have to restart my computer or restart the program because it won't sync correctly with my camera. I check all connections and everything is fine! Is it a certain setting I need?! HELP PLEASE!!!

Leonard Levy
November 25th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Michael, you need to be far more detailed in describing your problems and your set-up to get any help with this. As much detail as you can humanly provide as this can be complicated.

Gene Brockhoff
November 25th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Use "Non-Controllable Device" in your firewire settings.

Guy Hamlin
November 25th, 2006, 09:32 PM
The only way to get uncompressed hd video from an hvx is to go out of the cam via the component output and in to a video card...you can capture via firewire in any codec that the cam and fcp support, but thats it...

Michael Rapadas
November 26th, 2006, 02:31 AM
MORE DETAILS ABOUT MY PROBLEM!

Connect through firewire.
I log and capture at 720p 24p
And my camera is set to 720p at 24fps
I use 'non-controllable device' as my firewire setting.

The problem:
The log and capture won't show or recognize the camera. I even reopen the log and capture and the program itself. EVEN IF I RESTART THE COMPUTER, IT DOESN'T RECOGNIZE!!!! I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I must just p2 cards, so much easier and convienient!

David Saraceno
November 26th, 2006, 11:48 AM
You are supposed to open the log and capture windows, but you don't log and capture.

You can only use capture now and escape with non controllable device.

Leonard Levy
November 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Have you tried changing the firewire cable?

Also there are settings in the "Other Functions " menu which I can't remember in the HVX related to the 1394 output, those could be off. Sorry i don't have the camera with me now.

There is also a "user file" reset that brings you back to the default settingscalled "INITIAL" I have used that for other problems in the "capture scenario"- (if the data rate is inexplicably 60 instead of 24 this will fix it.) its very easy to plug in your favorite settings manually after a reset so i suggest that.

Also an interesting test of this could be to use your camera as an ordinary DV playback device. play some miniDV tape in the camera and see if you can capture that in the log and capture window (with the right settings). This will eliminate HD issues. If you can't capture this way - get a new cable for a start. Those firewire cables do go bad .

Garrison Hayes
November 26th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Before yous start you computer to begin working hook up your cam and get everything ready...turn the PC on...everything should be pretty synched up...then open your editing program and get to gettin'!

Works for me and my "Capturing Camera". Avid wont detect you camera if the computer didnt detect it first...Thats Step 1 in capturing for sure...

Hope that was Helpfull

G. Hayes

Michael Rapadas
November 26th, 2006, 05:07 PM
ok, now i feel stupid. I had to shoot my project in SD onto tape. (turned out not so bad) I plugged my camera to import and it still didn't recognize my camera! HERE'S THE BEST PART!! everyone that said it might be my firewire cable, YOU WERE RIGHT!! My cable was faulty from the get go, the connection only went through sometimes! I used a different cable for import, and it worked just fine. I guess i learn something, no matter how big or small, everyday. Thanks everyone for the support and advice! Good luck with your current projects.