View Full Version : The Best Filmlook settings for HVX?

Mike Quick
November 30th, 2006, 11:46 PM
So I have the camera,redrock adpater, nikon lenses(28,35,75-150,300). I shot something for a friend, to help me learn the camera. Got the P2 cards and away we went. Everything we shot looked great, damn close to 16mm maybe even super 16(after some color correction in FCP). However, there was one one scene, in a kitchen, at daylight, that looked VERY video. So I cracked open the book panasonic is giving away when you register and am looking at the fine tuning of the film look settings. So my question is: Do I need to adjust anything other than having the camera on cine D, filmcam, and of course 720pn 24fps? I'm not a shooteer first, but I am learning.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Sam Jankis
December 1st, 2006, 07:12 AM
Get Barry's book.

Robert Lane
December 1st, 2006, 09:51 AM
Mike,

The "film-look" - like anything else to do with visuals - is very subjective. Some like myself, prefer high-chroma (saturated colors and deep contrast) whereas others prefer a more neutral and flatter response.

However, I did a color-comparison on the HVX between the default camera settings and my own version of a "film look". Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73572&highlight=hvx+color+test

The camera settings used and a link to a downloadable clip is there. Consider this a jump-off point for your own testing/tweaking and you'll find a setting that works best for you.

Barry's HVX Book is also a great resource for understanding how each camera setting affects images.

Andy Nickless
December 1st, 2006, 10:01 AM
Get Barry's book.
Wow - if that's the best a "Major Player" can come up with, I guess I'm in the wrong place here.

I thought this forum was different - maybe I was wrong.

Andy

Mike Schrengohst
December 1st, 2006, 10:14 AM
It is different...
Try this....
FILM CAM
SYNCHO SCAN - 200.0d
Detail - 0
Chroma Level +2
Master Ped -4
CINELIKE V
MATRIX - CINE-LIKE

These settings will get you in the ball-park.
e-mail me to find out how to win Barry's Book.....

Leonard Levy
December 1st, 2006, 12:13 PM
Robert is right, This is incredibly subjective, I have a completely different idea of filmlike that Robert or Mike.
For a start, I can't stand cinelike V
You've just got to figure this out to your own taste.

Mike Schrengohst
December 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM
And Leonard is right....
I can't stand CineLike D - too noisy.
I end up doing CC on most shots anyway.

Chris Li
December 1st, 2006, 01:34 PM
Whoa! Who doesn't like Cine-D or is it Cine-V? One is noisier than the other, but I can never remember which.

Mike Schrengohst
December 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Cine D is great for outdoors scenes with lots
of contrast. As Barry explains it D = Dynamic
Cine - D will flatten your contast but the picture
is a little noisy.
Cine - V is puncher, more contrast....
I will use this setting indoors under lower lighting conditions....
These are personal preferences not gospel...
Some shooters do not like the Cine Gamma settings at all.....
And I have seen some great scenes shot with B-Press Gamma....

Sam Jankis
December 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM
Get Barry's book.
Wow - if that's the best a "Major Player" can come up with, I guess I'm in the wrong place here.

I thought this forum was different - maybe I was wrong.
It was not a brush off statement. That book is a tremendous resource for HVX settings. It would take just as many pages of posts (and pictures) here to describe what you can do with the HVX...

Andy Nickless
December 1st, 2006, 04:19 PM
It was not a brush off statement. That book is a tremendous resource for HVX settings. It would take just as many pages of posts (and pictures) here to describe what you can do with the HVX...
I don't doubt it's a great book - in fact I intend to buy it myself.

But it was a brushoff statement.

What's the point of this forum if you're just going to tell everyone to read the book?

Andy

Sam Jankis
December 2nd, 2006, 01:58 AM
I don't think we're allowed to scan and post copyrighted material on this forum.

"Best Filmlook" means almost nothing... film doesn't have ONE look. The Matrix looks quite different from Charlie's Angels, no? The settings you use will vary depending on EXACTLY which film look you're wishing to emulate. There are many examples in Barry Green's HVX Book. It's free (unless your cam is gray market)... just get it. You can always come back and argue with me that it was a waste of your time. :)

Andy Nickless
December 2nd, 2006, 02:27 AM
I don't think we're allowed to scan and post copyrighted material on this forum.
Did anyone ask you to?

"Best Filmlook" means almost nothing...
So why does Barry's Book have "many examples"?

It's free (unless your cam is gray market)...
Or unless you live anywhere in the world apart from the USA or Australia.
(Check your facts before you post)

Andy

Kevin Railsback
December 2nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
That's like asking a question about what's the best car.
What we like you may not. It's all subjective.

We've all started with out cameras set to the factory default and we've all played around with the settings until we found a look we like for a situation.

Barry's book has many film look settings that you can load into your HVX to enable YOU to decide what is the best film look.

Mike gave you his settings but I like to drop the master ped even farther like -8 and punch up the chroma.

We have no idea which of the two you would like better. So the best thing to do is to experiment and find the settings that look best to you.

Robert Lane
December 2nd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Andy,

With very few exception those of us who post on the DVinfo.net forum do so with the intent to share information and help others. Period. None of us claim to know everything and often will post what we think is correct information and later retract it when we learn otherwise (I'm guilty of this myself). It's called responsible posting, and I stand behind both the original forum mission as stated by Chris Hurd and, the "regulars" herein that I've come to know in the past year.

From the get-go your posts on this thread have had a provocative and even angry tone and smacks of someone spoiling for a fight rather than a person willing to glean whatever information is shared.

Sam's original post - albeit short - has merit. Barry's book is worthwhile reading regardless whether it's free or if you have to purchase it.

The method in which anyone shares information on this forum is based on 3 things: 1) Their own knowledge and experience; 2) Their personal communicative style; 3) The time that person actually has available to share information - and for most of us working pro's time is money so we tend to make forum posting a fun thing in our work week.

Your original post: "...if that's the best a major player can come up with..." has no valid purpose. It's not asking a question, it's not sharing information and it's not doing anything but showing arrogance, ignorance and just being rude. "Blatherskite", is a good term for it.

In short, your attitude needs adjusting, and if this is the best you have to offer our community then take it elsewhere because I for one won't stand for it. First and last warning.

Andy Nickless
December 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Robert,

If my post appeared provocative or suggested an angry tone, then I humbly apologise - it was certainly not intended. I wrote what I thought was a light-hearted dig at someone whose reply to a genuine question from a poster was in my opinion, a cop-out.

Please take a few moments to re-read the original post . . .
So I cracked open the book panasonic is giving away when you register and am looking at the fine tuning of the film look settings
I think you will find the poster had already been reading Barry's book (surely don't need to register before you get the User Manual)?

Please compare the "Read Barry's Book" remark with your own reply to the same topic . . . helpful, informative, friendly, polite. In short, the essence of what a forum is for.

I was merely trying to point out that to simply say "Read Barry's Book" is not (at least, I thought it wasn't) in the spirit of forums such as this.

Forums as I know them are places where people seek and offer help - as well as discuss topics which are relevant to the forum.

Those who are seeking help are often at their 'wits end' having tried everything they know to find a solution to a particular problem. How often we hear of looming deadlines, when some piece of soft or hardware refuses to 'play'.

I have an appointment with my Panasonic dealer on Monday morning. When I return home, I will be (hopefully) the proud owner of an AG-HVX200.

I'm neither a beginner, nor an expert in video, so I anticipate fairly heavy use of forums such as this one over the next few months - but I hope that I will be able to more than repay the excellent advice I'll get, with advice I can give in return, as I learn to use the HVX200.

Andy

Leonard Levy
December 3rd, 2006, 12:36 AM
Mike, to get back to your original question. If you liked the look of everything except one scene in a bunch of stuff you shot, the first place to look at the problem would be the lighting that's always more critical than the camera set-up. The look has to be in sync with the lighting. Sometimes it can compensate for things you can't control, but generally a "film-look", means well lit for a start.

Mike Quick
December 4th, 2006, 09:58 PM
WOW! I didn't mean to start a huge fight between two posters. But thanks everyone else for your input. And by the way I have Barry's book, but it's a lot to ingest. I was hoping for some more practical experiences from those who weren't so glib in their remarks. This camera is a scaled down version of the Vari-cam and it's a beast. I'm not a shooter first so I'm a little behind the curve when it come to the technical language. I have read every post and appreciate the actual helpful responses.

I agree that it really needs to be well lit. That's one thing I did learn on this shoot. The M2 adapter really cuts out a lot of light so you almost have to approach it like film. Hell, you are using film lenses so why would you?

Live and learn.