View Full Version : Please confirm P2 workflow

Lal Chakraborty
December 4th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a P2. I will be doing a 90 min feature on it. Till date my experience has been limited (a 17 min short on Canon XL2 which was well received). If any of you can comment on my proposed workflow and setup, it will be great.

1. Camera- P2
2. A duo-core pc for editing with 1TB disk space (I am a PC guy)
3. Dual monitor - 19" lcd and Dell 2407 (will double as production monitor)
4. Raylight 2.0 (this seems to be the cheapest lossless route for Vegas)
5. Vegas (I had edited the short on Vegas, so I'd prefer to stick with it)
6. Couple of 500GB external disks

I'll probably rent the lights and mikes like I did last time. Let me know your thoughts.

Also any experience on purchasing from Full Compass in Madison would be appreciated. They are here in town and I can pick the camera up myself. Of course if its a cheaper online, I'll do that.

Lal.

Mike Teutsch
December 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM
The camera you are asking about is the Panasonic AG-HVX200, not a P2. P2 is of course the media it records HD to.

You did not list a laptop to take to the field, if that is where you intend to record. The P2 storage units only hold about 10 to 12 minutes HD each, so you will need to download and clear them to a computer, or you will be very limited as to how long you can record in the field.

So unless you are in a studio, you might need a rally good laptop and some external drives, you have them, to store the footage on.

Lal Chakraborty
December 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks a lot for the addition. Yes I also have a laptop that I'll dump the card. Its not the best, but has a USB2 port which will be connected to an external USB Drive.

Lal.