View Full Version : ME66 Mic -- Bests levels for onboard Sound...?

Justin Connor
December 22nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
I just got the ME 66 for my onboard camera mic.

I'll be mostly doing MOS shots for awhile, but will also be using some of the sound before using a sound guy here in LA for the narrative portion of my film.

My question is: What is the best way/levels to set-up in camera and the volume levels on the back of the camera, so as to get the best sound levels for some sound controlled interviews, and random sound -- basically -- the best levels to get great sound.

Any ideas?

I am a newbie, so I apologize in advance for helping walk me through this.

Dick Campbell
December 23rd, 2006, 08:58 AM
This is all somewhat subjective, but you want make sure the audio does not clip. I use the ME66 onboard and set the level to a dot or two below 0 db with an "average" level sound. You will have to decide what "average" is for your situation. This gives me enough head room in normal circumstances. Besides, the ME66 is very sensitive, and has great side rejection. Experimentation always helps, also.

Justin Connor
December 24th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Thanks Dick.

I'll play around with it from scene to scene -- mostly doing MOS shots right now, just want to prepared for the random audio ones...

cheers,
jc

Peter Jefferson
December 26th, 2006, 03:54 AM
within the camera itself, set the db to -50db, this will ensure the pickup of the cam isnt as hot at 60db
Make sure the low freq rolloff switch on the K6 is off
I always use ALC/AGC and am ye tto have an issue, but many will say dont use it.. i say work with what works best for you and your recording needs.