View Full Version : vegas 6 plus HD100 for capturing dv footage

Brian Luce
December 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I've been trying to use my HD100 as a passthrough deck for capturing a dvd into vegas. No luck so far. Although Vegas is doing a fantastic job of seeing my webcam...

At any rate, does the hd100 even have this capability?

I've got the analog outs of my dvd player going into the JVC hd100 and firewire connecting the hd100 to the computer/vegas 6.o. HD100 set to "VTR" and "DV". DVD set to "play". So far just a black screen.

any ideas?

Jamie Hellmich
December 28th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Brian,

I am using Vegas 7 now and can't remember if 6 would, but you can go to:

File>Import>DVD Camcorder Disc...

and 7 will pull the video off of a DVD in your pc DVD drive. I have only tried this on home DVD recordings, and not copy protected stuff. It works on recordings from my DVD recorder deck, and DVDs I have authored.

Edit: I have a Sony TRV-22 camcorder which has pass-through. If I recall correctly, you have to set that function to "on" in the menu system of the camera.

Jamie

Brian Luce
December 28th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Brian,

I am using Vegas 7 now and can't remember if 6 would, but you can go to:

File>Import>DVD Camcorder Disc...

and 7 will pull the video off of a DVD in your pc DVD drive. I have only tried this on home DVD recordings, and not copy protected stuff. It works on recordings from my DVD recorder deck, and DVDs I have authored.

Edit: I have a Sony TRV-22 camcorder which has pass-through. If I recall correctly, you have to set that function to "on" in the menu system of the camera.

Jamie

I've got file>import but nothing specific for DVD after that...

Mike Kujbida
December 28th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Do you not have a DVD drive on your computer?
It's much easier than the way you're trying to do it.
BTW, the File>Import>DVD Camcorder Disc feature was added in Vegas 6.0c and 6.0d was the final version of 6.0.

Brian Luce
December 28th, 2006, 08:44 PM
BTW, the File>Import>DVD Camcorder Disc feature was added in Vegas 6.0c and 6.0d was the final version of 6.0.

AH okay. I'm using 6.0a. I'll try and upgrade.

It's still worth knowing how to use an hd100 as a passthrough. Old vhs tapes etc.

Jason Robinson
December 29th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Would the PC method still work with an encrypted commercial movie? I somehow doubt that, but I could be wrong.

jason

Jamie Hellmich
December 29th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Brian,

I just looked through the HD100 manual and it looks like you'd have to record from a DVD player with firewire to the camera and record it on tape, then transfer it. The camera doesn't appear to allow an analog signal in, only firewire.

I believe how to do it was on page 57 of the manual I was looking at.

Jamie

Brian Luce
December 29th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Brian,

I just looked through the HD100 manual and it looks like you'd have to record from a DVD player with firewire to the camera and record it on tape, then transfer it. The camera doesn't appear to allow an analog signal in, only firewire.

Jamie

What started me on this oddysey was Ed Troxyl's outstanding webpage (www.jetdv.com) which suggests a deck passthrough as the best means of capturing dvd footage into vegas. But it seems this file>import>dvd might be the simpler solution.

Thanks for the info.

brian

Jamie Hellmich
December 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM
File>Import>DVD works great for me.

Jamie

Brian Luce
December 29th, 2006, 03:11 PM
File>Import>DVD works great for me.

Jamie

What are the limitations of this feature? the HELP menu doesn't say much about it other than it's supposedly for the sony dvd disk cameras.

Mike Kujbida
December 29th, 2006, 07:30 PM
What are the limitations of this feature? the HELP menu doesn't say much about it other than it's supposedly for the sony dvd disk cameras.

Even though it says it's for miniDVD discs, it'll work on regular discs as well.
The only hitch is that it does take some time to import an hour (or more) long disc.
BTW, the discs have to be copyright-free (i.e. non-commercial) or this feature won't work.