View Full Version : RED Zoom and XDCAM HD

Jeremiah McLamb
December 29th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Would it be possible to use the RED Zoom lens (when it does come out) on the 330/350? It's only $10,000 and surely it is of HD quality...in order to produce the 4k and under images...i know it doesn't zoom in all that far but...just wondering...

Chris Hurd
December 29th, 2006, 07:28 PM
The RED zoom is a 35mm PL mount, while XDCAM HD is a half-inch B4 mount. So you're looking at a significant change in the apparent field of view in the RED lens, plus the hefty cost of having an adapter milled which would allow you to mount the lens to the camera. You're probably going to be better off with a half-inch HD lens by the time it's all said and done.

Jonathan Ames
December 29th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Or any one of the number of fine 2/3" zooms and primes available with an adapter using a multilpier; a $700 solution that works incredibly.

Matthew Ernest Adams
February 4th, 2007, 01:46 AM
The RED zoom is a 35mm PL mount, while XDCAM HD is a half-inch B4 mount. So you're looking at a significant change in the apparent field of view in the RED lens, plus the hefty cost of having an adapter milled which would allow you to mount the lens to the camera. You're probably going to be better off with a half-inch HD lens by the time it's all said and done.

I'm surprised there is not already a stock 35mm to 1/2 inch B4?

Brian Drysdale
February 4th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I'm surprised there is not already a stock 35mm to 1/2 inch B4?

There's also the problem of using lenses designed for film (or single sensor) on a camera that has an optical block with 3 CCD.

The market for 1/2" CCD cameras is much smaller than the market for 2/3" CCD or 1/3" CCD cameras. The manufacturers of the 35mm adapters like the Mini 35 & Pro 35 have concentrated on these larger markets.