View Full Version : Ok once Im done creating all my files, how do I burn them?

Tony Jucin
December 31st, 2006, 01:52 PM
I have vegas 6.0. Basically Im doing a racing video and Im doing each one at a time, then Im going to save them all in .avi files(since its the best quality) and then basically create one big file being the final master. Now how do I burn that onto a CD and how do I know my storage limits? I try to go into Tools, Burn CD, but anyone I select it doesnt recognize a drive?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Jamie Hellmich
December 31st, 2006, 03:34 PM
Tony,

I just spent a half hour writing a reply, I don't know what happened when I hit submit reply, it just logged me out.

Quickly and not near as specific:

You need to render the files on the timeline to mpg1 for video cd, or to mpg2 for dvd.

Once rendered, it has to be authored to disk with appropriate disk authoring software. Do you have DVD Architect with your Vegas installation?

If not, Window Movie Maker may author it. I have not tried.

Jamie

Mike Kujbida
December 31st, 2006, 09:03 PM
To expand on Jamie's reply, if you want to maintain decent image quality in your rendered master, then make a DVD. Video CD quality may be OK for the web but, IMO, that's about it.
As far as storage is concerned, buy a 250 GB hard drive and an external case and, assuming you don't already have a 2nd drive, use this as your render drive. USB connectivity is fine. Then you won't have to worry about storage.
Rendering to DV-AVI is (approx.) 13.5 GB/hr. so you could store over 18 hr. of video on that 250 GB drive before you need to think about another one.

Tony Jucin
January 11th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Ok so I thought it is better to save it in a .avi file then it is mpg2 because avi is the best?

How do I get windows movie maker or does someone else have a better Idea?

Also how do I go about creating a menu and what not?

Edward Troxel
January 11th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Tony, do you have DVD Architect? You want to use DVD Architect to create a DVD. You do NOT want a VideoCD if your goal is quality.

You might want to look over my newsletters that talk about creating a DVD. Specifically Vol 1 #7 and Vol 4 #1 would be good starting points.

Tony Jucin
January 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM
That I dont does it come with Vegas?

Mike Kujbida
January 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Sorry but no. DVD Architect is a separate package.
An upgrade path (USD $249.95 boxed or USD $234.95 download) is available though.
Upgrade to Vegas+DVD from Vegas (https://www.sonymediasoftware.com/shopping/item.asp?PID=416&cid=111&disp=1)

Tony Jucin
January 12th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Will this allow me to create menus too?

Edward Troxel
January 12th, 2007, 12:57 PM
With DVD Architect, you can create fully functional DVDs just like you rent - complete with menus and many other features.

Tony Jucin
January 12th, 2007, 01:34 PM
How easy is it to use?

Tony Jucin
January 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Also a few post up it said it was 249.00

this one is 49.99

is this the same?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Media-Software-SDVDAS4000-Architect/dp/B000JX3OD8[B]

Edward Troxel
January 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM
The one you linked to is the "Movie Studio" version (which is, essentially, the "lite" version).

The other option is probably to upgrade from Vegas 6 to Vegas 7+DVD A 4 (the FULL versions)

Tony Jucin
January 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Ok would that work though? Im not looking for anything crazy for the menu, just your basics.

Brian Luce
January 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I always thought it was better to render to avi. Why is mpeg2 better? more efficient?

Edward Troxel
January 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I always thought it was better to render to avi. Why is mpeg2 better? more efficient?

DVDs are MPEG2. You can either render to MPEG2 directly from Vegas or you can render to DV-AVI in Vegas and let DVD Architect render to MPEG2. Either way, you'll end up with MPEG2.

Edward Troxel
January 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Ok would that work though? Im not looking for anything crazy for the menu, just your basics.

Yes it would work. It just has fewer features than the full version.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM

MPEG 2 is a delivery format for all DVDs at this point, and rendering to AVI first costs you quite a bit of color information.
I address this to an extent in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N_Tg0PT9yc

Brian Luce
January 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM
MPEG 2 is a delivery format for all DVDs at this point, and rendering to AVI first costs you quite a bit of color information.
I address this to an extent in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N_Tg0PT9yc

Okay, so what are good uses of videos rendered to AVI? for viewing on a computer?

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM
AVI or AudioVidoInterleaved, is a packaging format that allows for a wide variety of compressed and uncompressed formats. It's easy to move from place to place while maintaining quality. It *generally* requires less horsepower from the CPU (depending entirely on the codec packaged in the avi, of course), while MPEG 2 is a fixed format codec that has bitrate limitations. MPEG 2 is designed as a delivery format while avi is designed as an editing/archiving/transport/sharing format.
If you're printing to tape, you must use an avi format on the pc platform. if you're printing to DVD, you must use an mpeg format.
Hope this very brief explanation helps?

Brian Luce
January 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
AVI or AudioVidoInterleaved, is a packaging format that allows for a wide variety of compressed and uncompressed formats. It's easy to move from place to place while maintaining quality. It *generally* requires less horsepower from the CPU (depending entirely on the codec packaged in the avi, of course), while MPEG 2 is a fixed format codec that has bitrate limitations. MPEG 2 is designed as a delivery format while avi is designed as an editing/archiving/transport/sharing format.
If you're printing to tape, you must use an avi format on the pc platform. if you're printing to DVD, you must use an mpeg format.
Hope this very brief explanation helps?

Thanks DSP, I never knew rendering to AVI puts you back in the 4.1.1 world. I watched you video, you mentioned hdv has the best "error correction" of any format. What is error correction?

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM
*All* digital mediums have errors. Those errors are detected, compared, and corrected. Error correction provides some redundancy to protect against dropouts.The data travels in small packets, and in those travels, sometimes the data can (and often is) corrupted. Error correction looks at various aspects of the data via code, that ensures a clean signal, barring any total failure of a frame.

Brian Luce
January 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM
*All* digital mediums have errors. Those errors are detected, compared, and corrected. Error correction provides some redundancy to protect against dropouts.The data travels in small packets, and in those travels, sometimes the data can (and often is) corrupted. Error correction looks at various aspects of the data via code, that ensures a clean signal, barring any total failure of a frame.

That's interesting because HDV naysayers often condemn HDV for its propensity to artifacts and dropouts.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 13th, 2007, 06:35 PM
There are a lot of misinformed measurebators in the world. The bottom line is whether it performs well for you or not. With significantly more HDV camcorders than any other format in the HD world..., there are a lot of users that would disagree with that condemnation.
If you don't own an HDV camcorder, perhaps you should borrow/rent one if you're in the market for an HDV camcorder. Otherwise, I'd invite you to read the other forums here on DVInfo.net for more information.
Let's not turn this into an HDV discussion in the Vegas forum, please?

Tony Jucin
January 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM
DSE, now you mention this for all of the HDV, what about regular DV like Im using with my GL1s and just your normal DV Cameras, do I still want MPG2 no matter what?

PS Thanks for all the info!

Mike Kujbida
January 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM
As Edward Troxel said earlier:
DVDs are MPEG2. You can either render to MPEG2 directly from Vegas or you can render to DV-AVI in Vegas and let DVD Architect render to MPEG2. Either way, you'll end up with MPEG2.

I personally create my MPEG-2 files from Vegas so that I have more control over the final quality but a lot of users (especially beginners) simply render to AVI and let DVD Architect do the rest of it for them.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
DSE, now you mention this for all of the HDV, what about regular DV like Im using with my GL1s and just your normal DV Cameras, do I still want MPG2 no matter what?

PS Thanks for all the info!
If you're going to DVD, yes. you always want MPG2. Always.
Vegas can encode it straight to MPEG 2 which is the *best* option, or Vegas can create an avi that DVD Architect (or other tool) will turn into MPG 2, but rendering as avi and then transcoding that to MPG2 is costing you quite a bit of color and some sharpness.
You might as well just do it right from the start.