View Full Version : Good Backpack for HVX + gear

Phillip Palacios
January 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM
O.K.
I am doing some hikes soon with my camera and gear:
HVX200
P2store
5 Batteries
Monitor (deciding between Swit and Marshall)
A few screw on filters
mic and cables
tripod
Rain slicker

I bought the petrol bag said to fit the hvx and gear, and am a little concerned with how little room there actually is for the gear. everything is cramed in it seems, since this is baisically just a storage/light duty bag it is fine, BUT I am concerned that the packs that claim to fit the HVX will do just that, fit the HVX and not much else.

What packs have you all used WITH gear?
I am looking for somthing that will withstand actual trail use, fit all my gear safely, be water resistant, and have a proper fit (on me)

Suggestions?

Phillip Palacios
January 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
I found this on B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=422739&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

does ANYone have input on this?

Phil

Kevin Railsback
January 3rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Usually out in Yellowstone I take along a Lowe Super Photo Trekker.

Robert Lane
January 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Philip,

I recently went pack-shopping myself but didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a "camera specific" pack and came up with a very cost effective solution:

REI has a variety of general use backpacks that will work very well. I found one (can't remember the model name and it doesn't say anywhere on the bag) that has room for the following:

- HVX mounted on Zacuto base-plate with extended rods fore & aft
- Panasonic BT-LH900 monitor
- (2) Endura 10s V-mount batts (for monitor)
- (3) HVX batts
- Matte-box and 2 square filters
- Varizoom ROCK-PZFI controller

Unlike the packs that come with built-in separators like camera cases do, I've just wrapped each item in either foam or bubble-wrap to keep them from bumping into each other in each compartment. I was most concerned with the monitors' face being scratched by something during transport so I taped a piece of cardboard over the face and then wrapped it in foam with a rubber band to hold the foam in place.

The REI bag was $100 and has 6 layered compartments

Michael Younger
January 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Id stay away from that KATA one from BH. Its good with pockets, protection, etc, but its huge! Its like having a giant turtle shell on your back. I had mine, used it once, ended up selling on ebay last year when I was using a xl2 with it. I second the REI bag idea, I use a Northface bag, that was around $100-$125 or something and its great. And there are so many levels-sizes-colors-types of those type of packs, I am sure you can find something that works best. And in the end of the day, you still have a pack that can be used for other purposes outside of camera use. I usually put most my extras, filters in front or side pockets, and carry my SLR and HVX200 together in main area.

Phillip Palacios
January 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys,
I will be heading to my local hiking gear shop to check out what they have.
I will probably end up puting all the gear in sealline saks inside the pack for water protection (tropical downpours and such).

Thanks again,
Phil