View Full Version : HV10 Update?

Brad Schreiber
January 1st, 2007, 07:03 PM
I was just at Best Buy, and the manager informed me that as of 2-11-07, best Buy will no longer carry the HV10. He said the reason that would be is the product is being discontinued (by Canon) and they are preparing for the next version, which will appear this year sometime. He also said that no official announcment by Canon should be expected until their termination date of 2-11-07. Anybody know what's going on about this? The guy knew his stuff when I talked to him, so this wasn't just some high school kid making things up.

Brad Vaughan
January 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM
Probably a Hard Drive based Canon HDV is on the way.

HV11?
HV20?

Colin Gould
January 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM
Hmm, that seems odd... discontinue only months after announce? It's barely been 3mos. You'd think they need to sell longer to make up R&D and mfg costs... not to mention it's a great camera..?
maybe they just added a mic input :)

I hope they don't ditch HDV for HDD only... great for fast capture but stinks for archiving...? although I can always buy yet another USB2 drive.... DVD format instead?
Does HDV even support HDD-style format, eg just bunch of M2T/MPG2 files on HDD editing programs could use/copy directly, or would it have to be like AVCHD type (new unsupported) thing?

Daymon Hoffman
January 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM
Can someone please clarify... you backwards-american's.. i dont know :P. Is it the 2nd day of the 11th month or the 11th day of the 2nd month? One day you guys will wake up and just go metric some day. :P

I'm hanging out for a HD camera and the HV10 was a nice performace:cost ratio for me. But is kind of lacking in certain areas so i was hoping to wait. if this is true than thank god as i wont have ot wait to much longer. :)

my MVX3i sack of crap was something i new had crap quality footage when i bought it... but now i've got a 154.2cm 1080p TV... it really does scream ugly. lol.

Pete Bauer
January 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
This is one American who shares your frustration with US time standards. FWIW, the first thing I do when I log onto a new computer for the first time is customize the US English settings to date format "dd-mmm-yyyy" and a 24 hour clock. Maybe someday we'll catch up with the rest of the world, but the US uses month-day-year and a 12 hour AM/PM clock. So when someone in the US writes "2-11-07" they mean "11 Feb 2007."

FWIW, I'll be **REALLY** surprised if Canon discontinues the HV10 as soon as Feb 2007. At most, I'd think that perhaps they'd do no more than a minor update, maybe with the same model number, maybe as an "HV11."

Brad Schreiber
January 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM
February 11, 2007 is the date of discontinuation.
2-11-07

Daymon Hoffman
January 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
ah i was hoping (and thought) that was the one but wanted to check.

Pete Bauer, pity you're only one American. thats all i can say. :D

Chris Hurd
January 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM
He ain't the only one... I too prefer it that way, even without a military background. In fact the default board settings just might change to a 24 hour clock and day-month-year. No doubt to the delight of some folks and the chagrin of others!

Oops, I've thread-jacked again.

Ken Ross
January 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
I was just at Best Buy, and the manager informed me that as of 2-11-07, best Buy will no longer carry the HV10. He said the reason that would be is the product is being discontinued (by Canon) and they are preparing for the next version, which will appear this year sometime. He also said that no official announcment by Canon should be expected until their termination date of 2-11-07. Anybody know what's going on about this? The guy knew his stuff when I talked to him, so this wasn't just some high school kid making things up.

Considering that Canon just recently launched full page spreads on the HV10 and it's receiving such positive feedback, I'm somewhat skeptical of his comments.

Fergus Anderson
January 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
maybe there will just be an additional model to compliment the HV10?

I LOVE my HV10 but would be tempted to sell and upgrade for three possible reasons - inclusion of 24/25/30f mode/s, inclusion of HDMI out and inclusion of Mic in (least important)

Simon Fenton
January 2nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Couldn't agree more, they're the exact same reasons that prevented me from getting the HV10.

In addition, would like to see direct to SDHC Card recording of HDV video, 1 x HDV tape = 12 Gig - we're getting pretty close to that now.

Would expect hdmi in the next model, it's pretty much becoming the de facto standard for home cinema connectivity.

Derek Hunziker
January 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
This if from the Canon DV support team :/

Dear Mr. Hunziker:

Thank you for your inquiry on the HV10. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Canon USA has made no announcements regarding discontinuing or releasing
a successor for the HV10.

For information on new product announcements, please visit:
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/CIWPRList.jsp?minisite=10000

Ken Ross
January 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Couldn't agree more, they're the exact same reasons that prevented me from getting the HV10.

In addition, would like to see direct to SDHC Card recording of HDV video, 1 x HDV tape = 12 Gig - we're getting pretty close to that now.

Would expect hdmi in the next model, it's pretty much becoming the de facto standard for home cinema connectivity.

Well with those criteria, expect to get a very large, very heavy, very expensive HDV cam. You won't find those features in any small HDV cam and not even in some of the larger, more expensive HDV cams. In the meantime you're missing out on some superb HD footage!

Marty Hudzik
January 2nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
No offense to anyone who works at these places, but it has long been a BS answer to give when your store stops carrying a product. Most employees at these stores don't know much if anything about the HDV camcorder market. It just doesn't make sense.

Best Buy is probably not going to carry this because it either isn't selling well or there is not enough profit to justify restocking it.

However I would love to find and open box version at my BB for about $500!

Marty Hudzik
January 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
In addition I checked BB website and the HV10 is on sale for $1235.00. You can get it form several reliable online vendors including BH photo for $949. That's darn near $300 savings. No wonder they are not going to carry them.

Daymon Hoffman
January 2nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Damn i was hopeing there was some reality in this. Like a couple of others i really would like a mic input (plus a better on board one to begin with) and HDMI out (before HDV conversion, but i think i can kiss that one good buy). Those are the main couple of things holding me back. ARGH!!

One thing is for sure, these camera companys know perfectly how to NEARLY create the perfect camera. :(

Robb Ware
January 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Best Buy is probably not going to carry this because it either isn't selling well or there is not enough profit to justify restocking it.

I was at the Best Buy this weekend in Delaware and about 90% of their display models were sold for Christmas. The HV10 was still there. Not sure I'd buy a display model camcorder with people fingerprinting and/or scratching the lenses, etc.

Peter Ferling
January 3rd, 2007, 03:24 PM
I bought a 3 month old HC1 display from BB, not a single issue. I got it for a few $100 less since it was the last one. I usually try stuff at the store, then buy online.

I purchased an HV10 from B&H Photo, and purchased a few spare batteries and tripod with the savings.

Jonathan Phillips
January 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM
This is just my take on why your shop are not stocking the camera;

This like some other cameras fall into the Prosumer market not the Consumer market, they are the in between
for people who want quality, but not broadcast type / size cameras.
Because of this I have always found shops in the UK don't tend to stock cameras in the Prosumer range because
most people who go to the local shop for a camera are only interested in taking video and showing it on the TV.
Not many people would be interested in how / why the picture from this camera is any better, cetainly in the UK
HDTV is still slow on the uptake because of how expensive the TV's and the premium channels are.
I suspect that Canon are working on a replacement model, but I would be surprised if it arrived as quickly as
your store is expecting. I'm sure Canon are still only just collecting the sales figures for the HV10.

So in short I would say, if you are prepared to wait, see what Canon do bring out in a few months time.
I personally can live with the Mic and HDMI (don't have any need for it) as if I'm looking to video anything
more than a holiday video I will buy a portable audio recorder (had bad experience of external plug in Mic's where
the audio sounded worse than the built in Mic).
I may only have a SD TV, but the picture quality from this camera is worth it.

Mike Brown
January 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM
What we all hope is that Canon does not follow in Sony's footsteps ... meaning dumbing down the next revision by eliminating even limited manual controls, and making it more of a fully-automatic consumer camcorder.

It would be really refreshing for Canon to go in the opposite direction, and add features such as a mic input. Or -- introduce a more pro-oriented model within the same form factor.

Fergus Anderson
January 4th, 2007, 07:56 AM
For me the only biggie is frame mode
I can live without a mic input (you can use an external recorder)
hdmi is nice but not essential.

Peter Ferling
January 4th, 2007, 08:32 AM
What we all hope is that Canon does not follow in Sony's footsteps ... meaning dumbing down the next revision by eliminating even limited manual controls, and making it more of a fully-automatic consumer camcorder.

It would be really refreshing for Canon to go in the opposite direction, and add features such as a mic input. Or -- introduce a more pro-oriented model within the same form factor.

This is exactly why I bought the well used demo HC1 at BB. They had new HC3's there, and reports from Japan about highly compressed models coming next. (A warning about lower quality for same money). When the HV10 arrived with positive reviews, I didn't hesitate to get one. It's a good deck/HDV b-cam for my G1, as I'm only concerned with the image.

My gut feeling is that Canon may create something similiar to Sony's, only because that's what consumers want and that's what these cameras are geared for. If you need a cheap B-cam/deck for your A1, I wouldn't wait.

Paulo Teixeira
January 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Like I mentioned in other threads, CES is just around the corner. The date is from January 8 to 11. New camcorders are expected to be shown and who knows, maybe Canon will also show something.

CES will definitely be massive this year will all the new electronics coming out.

Marty Hudzik
January 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Like I mentioned in other threads, CES is just around the corner. The date is from January 8 to 11. New camcorders are expected to be shown and who knows, maybe Canon will also show something.

CES will definitely be massive this year will all the new electronics coming out.

Canon "could" announce something new in this line. I really, really doubt that they will replace it. The unit was just announced in July and shipped in what, September? So 4 months is the product cycle for them now? I just don't see that happening.

Having said that I'd be glad to see a updgraded model.........but I'm not expecting it.

Peace!

Chris Hurd
January 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM
CES is just around the corner. The date is from January 8 to 11.
If you look at the history of digital video camcorders, CES is indeed the event at which most of the new consumer models of the year are announced by all of the manufacturers.

Jonathan Phillips
January 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Hope they don't.. I love the manual controls. It's like the functions on my SLR camera, yes they take a little learning but can be very useful to get effects that the Auto mode would not allow. Such as slowing down the shutter speed for a cool effect :)

Marty Hudzik
January 4th, 2007, 12:07 PM
If you look at the history of digital video camcorders, CES is indeed the event at which most of the new consumer models of the year are announced by all of the manufacturers.

Chris,

Isn't Canon known for "not" following that trend so much?

XL2 Announced in July? Shipped first week of Sept.
XLH1 Announced in Sept? Shipped in Late nov-early Dec
XH-A1/G1 Announced July Shipped Nov
hv-10 Announced July? shipped september?

I realize that there are other Canon cameras that were probably announced here. But I just have hard time thinking Canon will announce a replacement for the HV10 already. Maybe something else.......

Edit: Just noticed you said "consumer models" so that makes this post a little less pertinent. Sorry!

Paulo Teixeira
January 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=601011#post601011