View Full Version : Doritos Contest Top 5!

Dale Backus
January 5th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Hey guys,

My friends and I shot a 30 second spot for a Super Bowl contest sponsored by Doritos and learned that we were selected into the Top 5 submissions!

We shot is using the JVC HD100 with the Letus HD100 (great adapter, thanks Quyen!).

The next phase is up to a vote by the public and will determine which of the 5 will be aired during Super Bowl XLI. Any and all support would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Check it out at www.crashthesuperbowl.com

Our spot is "Live the Flavor" - Help us if you can (if you like ours the best, that is :)

Thanks a lot guys!

Dale

Gabriel Yeager
January 5th, 2007, 12:27 AM
haha! Wow! that was awesome man! Great job Dale! That one so deserves to be aired! You really did a nice job. You have my vote!

I loved everything about it! Kudos to you! Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more from you.
~Gabriel

Dale Backus
January 5th, 2007, 01:17 AM
thanks so much for the encouragement. In a time like this when youre facing such good opponents, you really start second guessing. Thanks a lot for your support, tell your friends!

Dale

Lorinda Norton
January 5th, 2007, 02:30 AM
LOL!!! You got my vote, Dale. That was a great idea and so well done--very funny! :)

Meryem Ersoz
January 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM
very professional and witty. good luck!

Walter J Walsh
January 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Dale,
In all fairness I had to watch all of the videos to make sure I voted for the best one. You got my vote. It was brilliant. Great work.

Dale Backus
January 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks a lot guys - i really appreciate the kind words, means a lot. Spread the word!

Paul Cascio
January 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Do you at least get to attend the game, or are they just going to let you watch it on TV?

Paul Cascio
January 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM
A show called "Press Your Luck." I lost, got 3 whammies in my first 4 spins, if you're familiar with the show. Anyway, one of the consilation prizes was about a year's supply of Doritos.

Good luck.

Dale Backus
January 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
The party is in Miami. Not sure really what it involves, but i do know it involves a good deal of media and press... I'd rather watch the game in the comfort of a room anyway!

Scott Ellifritt
January 5th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Thumbs up! Voted yours #1.

Paul Cascio
January 6th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Others advertiisers are paying big bucks for creative and commercial production. Frito-Lay is getting thiers for a song. Plus all the PR from the contest.

Scott Ellifritt
January 6th, 2007, 12:25 PM
It's a double-edged sword, yes, but the rewards can be helpful if the top 5 and or winner plays their cards right.

Paul Cascio
January 6th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Prospective Client: What's your credentials?

Scott: I wrote and produced Frito-Lay's Superbowl commercial.

Prospective Client: You're hired!

Dale Backus
January 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Haha, that's the hope! We've seen an impressive amount of PR from this already, and it really has only begun - it's been quite a ride...

Scott Ellifritt
January 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
- it's been quite a ride...

Hang on to your hat!

Gary Hanna
January 11th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Outstanding - great idea too!

Would be funny if the car blew up, then they can both be BBQ

No offense to the others but you blew those losers out of the water he he.

See you in the SB along with the Eagles

Dale Backus
January 21st, 2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks so much Gary - very very encouraging. Voting is closed so time will tell!

Garrison Hayes
January 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM
Wow, that was pretty funny...sad to say it. But Mouse trap got my vote. But you were a close second man! Gotta love the crunch...

Garrison Hayes
January 21st, 2007, 11:05 PM
See you in the SB along with the Eagles

Ha! Too bad the Eagles got beat in the mouth by the Saints

Go Colts!

Mike Schrengohst
January 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Loved it!...Has that Frito-Lay zest to it....

Alex Sprinkle
January 22nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Wait a tick ... that's Waverly Place! Good video, too.

Greg Boston
February 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM
You did a great job of incorporating the theme into your 30 second spot.

Congratulations on the win!

So does this mean you're going to Disneyworld? (hehe)

-gb-

Lorinda Norton
February 4th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I didn't read that you had won, yet told practically everyone I knew to watch for "a Doritos ad that had a car in it." At my house you should have heard the cheer that went up when it aired. Everyone said it was the funniest of all the Super Bowl ads.

Tell us about the big day, okay? :)

Brian Luce
February 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Congrats! let us know how this changes your life and what opportunities fall in your lap. Awesome!

Mark Holland
February 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Congrats on your win. I was pulling for the "home team"!

BTW, I liked the spot! You for hire?

Jonathan Jones
February 12th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Dale, that was awesome. Congrats.
-Jon

Dale Backus
February 13th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks so much, everybody!

You know - we were a small video production company from Cary before, and we're a small video production company from Cary today - and we're still just 5 people trying to put food on the table... but this, if anything, has been a very good confidence boost, reputation builder, and conversation piece!

Thanks to all who voted - not even for us, but who just participated in general.

Thanks again!

Dale

Neal Metzler
April 16th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I just saw a snippet of the spot on the Apple NAB 2007 Reel, about 3/4 of the way in....congrats!!!