View Full Version : Bringing 60p footage back to 24p

Daniel Cegla
January 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I don't mean slowing it down to playback at 24p; I mean cutting frames out so it is standard 24 frame shot again.

Is there a way to do this? If you capture something at 60p but decide you don't want the slow-motion effect to it, is there an easy way to make it play normal 100% 24fps?

Sam Jankis
January 15th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Yes. Speed it up in post 250%.

Daniel Cegla
January 20th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Ah, easy solution.

So would you say then that any shot that I think I may want to have in slow motion, even if I am not sure, should be shot in 60p? And then if I decide no slow-mo, just speed it up 250% and then back to normal speed? Or does this cost any loss of quality or weird, unwanted effects? Would it be best to shoot two versions of the shot, one 24p and one 60p? Or is that just reduntant and unneccessary?

Robert Lane
January 20th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Daniel,

Yes, there will be a distinct difference between footage shot in normal speed 24fps and over-cranked footage that's been ramped-up to normal speed in post - motion blur.

In normal 24fps you get noticeable motion blur, just as film does at that speed. When you overcrank to get slow motion the motion blur is *almost* non-existent (depending on the motion of the target subject), so if you then speed up that slow-motion footage you'll be devoid of the normal 24fps motion blur - and it will look more like it was shot in 30 or 60p.

Depending on your project look and feel this may or may not be an issue, but if you need to keep a motion-artifact match throughout a scene then you should plan on keeping things at the same frame rate.