View Full Version : Making a ring light with LED's...some advice

David Delaney
January 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I want to make a ring light for the front of my HC1 camera. I have a bunch of LED lights from the electronic's store and I want to fashion them in a series with a battery pack (maybe 2 AAA's) for the off/on. Is there anything I need to know about setting these up in series? Is a plain soldering job with copper wire going to do?

Thanks in advance.

Greg Boston
January 13th, 2007, 06:23 PM
You don't wire them in series, you wire them in parallel. Check the data sheet for the LEDs that you have. They usually require an inline resistor on the anode side for current limiting.

-gb-

David Delaney
January 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM
They didn't come with any data sheet. Just the little lites. I have wired them in parallel with a battery casing with 2 AA batteries. They seem to light up well, but I think they aren't quite as bright as they should be. I am probably doing something wrong....

Rush Hamden
January 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Generally, LED circuits require a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) driver circuit to modulate the voltage and keep it at a steady frequency. That way they don't flicker with changing voltage from the batteries, until the batteries are almost dead. That's the little IC board you see in all the LED flashlights.

Connecting the LED's in parallel is necessary so that you can use a simple AA battery pack at 3V, and draw more amperage from it than voltage. Otherwise, in series, you would have to keep adding 1.5V battery per LED light.

One more piece of advice: make sure the LED's are 5000K white with a high CRI, otherwise people's skintones will look awful and purple.

David Delaney
January 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
The store owner told me they come in micro candles instead of wattage I believe./..

Also just went and bought a slew of dollar store LED key chain lights because the electronic store is closed. They are cheap and pretty bright. Going to see how they turn out...