View Full Version : Thumbnail question:

John Greenwood
January 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Have a problem with ragged borders on thumbnails in Vegas 6 and DVDA 3. In both cases, my thumbnails show thin strip of black on left edge and ragged color on bottom edge. Top looks fine.

These are not seen when actual movie plays in final dvd, but they do show in all thumbnails. Although I've yet to figure out how to add a frame to cover the edges of thumbnail, (appears this would mask/hide the problem), I am trying to understand the reason for the problem first.

Capturing VHS tape via firewire and canopus dv converter. Any advice greately appreciated. Thanks all!

Jason Robinson
January 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Have a problem with ragged borders on thumbnails in Vegas 6 and DVDA 3. In both cases, my thumbnails show thin strip of black on left edge and ragged color on bottom edge. Top looks fine.

These are not seen when actual movie plays in final dvd, but they do show in all thumbnails. Although I've yet to figure out how to add a frame to cover the edges of thumbnail, (appears this would mask/hide the problem), I am trying to understand the reason for the problem first.

Capturing VHS tape via firewire and canopus dv converter. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

I had a sony super8 that distored the far left 10 or so pixels and the top 5 with horrible color problems. the ccd was probably just shot because it was old. i imagine that vhs might suffer the same problems when played back through DV because a TV don't display the whole image.

jason

John Greenwood
January 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks Jason! Perhaps this is the case with vhs. I did discover this morning before work that by using a different background with framed thumbnails, it would cover the flaws. Looks as though I will proceed down this route until I discover other avenues.
Again, thanks.

John

David Jimerson
January 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
That's exactly what VHS will look like when you capture it digitally -- it's got stuff in the edges you never see on a TV because the TV overscans the image, cutting off all of the edges.

John Greenwood
January 16th, 2007, 08:56 PM
David, I appreciate your input regarding the VHS transfer. Learn something new everyday! Thanks guys. There's a tremendous amount of knowledge available by reading the posts on this site, and I try to do so daily!

John