View Full Version : Help: My UV Filter is stuck on the GL2 - How do I remove it?

Gilbert Labossiere
January 19th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I just bought the GL2 last week and bought the filters a few days ago. The filter has been going on and off with ease until this morning. Now it won't come off. I wanted to take it off to put on my new Wide angle converter WD-58 and now it is stuck?

Any way to loosen it?

Mike Teutsch
January 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I just bought the GL2 last week and bought the filters a few days ago. The filter has been going on and off with ease until this morning. Now it won't come off. I wanted to take it off to put on my new Wide angle converter WD-58 and now it is stuck?

Any way to loosen it?

Sometimes when you try to turn them with a lot of force, you squeeze them harder and that just distorts them and makes them even harder to turn. Look at it carefully and make sure it is not cross threaded. If it is it will be tough, but go gently.

1. Try holding the filter in as many spots as you can, five fingers for example, instead of two, and spread them as evenly as you can around the filter. Hold only tight enough to keep your fingers and thumb from slipping.

2. If that doesn't work, try putting your palm flat against the lens and turn it using your palm. I say this secondly, as it will get oils from your hand on the lens and it will need to be cleaned.

3. If and when you get it off, clean both thread areas with a brush to insure that there is no grit in them.

Wharever you do, don't use WD-40 on you WD-58! :)

Mike

Bob Hart
January 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Second the palm across the front of the filter method.

You could also try a packet of frozen peas across the front of the filter for about a minute to try and shrink it down a bit then try the palm method again.

Another trick, more forcefull is to get a pair of ratnose pliers and some speaker wire. Wrap a turn of wire around the filter and twitch it up tight and hold it wound up with the pliers as it will unwind.

Have somebody hold the camera body by the front as close to the filter as possible.

Using both the pliers to pull on the wire and the palm method, turn the filter in the loosen direction. The pressure from the wire may just constrict the filter frame enough to loosen its grip.

WD40 may not be a good idea, but a small drop of olive oil on a toothpick or satay stick drawn around the junction of the filter ring and the camera will be less harmful. It should wick in under the filter thread in about an hour or so. Clean it out with a tissue afterwards.

With filter threads molded in plastic camera bodies, the threat of wear and crossthreading is a constant companion.

It is helpful when fitting a threaded filter or lens to offer it up to the thread, then turn it gently anti-clockwise until you feel it click when the thread ends register, then commence screwing it in.

Gilbert Labossiere
January 19th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys! I was able to get it off! I was worried about messing up the threads

Richard Alvarez
January 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM
For futurre reference, I use a 'filter wrench' to remove stuck filters. Just like an oil filter wrench. I make one up out of 'tie-wrap' or 'cable-ties'.

Just get an extra long tie-wrap and loop it around the filter. Make sure you tie it so that when you pull it through the 'locking end', it's being pulled in a 'counter clockwise' direction. '

Cinch it tight. Grasp the end with a pair of needle-nosed or regular pliers and pull in a steady manner. (of course, keeping a strong grip on the lens.)

Works like a charm.

Alexander McLeod
January 19th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Richard, great idea.

Greg Boston
January 19th, 2007, 11:06 PM
2. If that doesn't work, try putting your palm flat against the lens and turn it using your palm. I say this secondly, as it will get oils from your hand on the lens and it will need to be cleaned.

An excellent suggestion, Mike. I would add that maybe a latex glove, worn while doing this, would prevent skin oils from contacting the filter and the rubber might even increase the grip strength.

-gb-

Mike Teutsch
January 20th, 2007, 01:02 AM
An excellent suggestion, Mike. I would add that maybe a latex glove, worn while doing this, would prevent skin oils from contacting the filter and the rubber might even increase the grip strength.

-gb-

That would work great Greg! Good one.

Mike

J. Stephen McDonald
January 20th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Some filters come with two notches on their outer rims and there are photographer's tools that fit into them, for an easy removal.

Since my filters didn't come with these, I notched them before I ever put them on a lens. I took a fine-toothed hacksaw blade and delicately cut two notches 180 degrees apart, that go into the rim only about 2 mm. I carry a straight tableknife in my bag and if a filter sticks, I fit the knife across the notches and turn firmly but carefully. If a filter is stuck hard, you could damage the internal lens mountings if you used too much force. Counter this stress by grabbing the base of the lens with one hand, while turning the filter with the other.

Sometimes, if a filter sticks to the backend of an add-on lens, notches will have to be cut on its reverse side. Make sure these notches are not opposite the ones on the front, as the filter could be weakened if they were at the same places. If you ever have to cut notches while a filter is on a camera, make sure that none of the metal filings get into the camera or are left on the glass when you use a cleaning cloth.

Graham Bernard
January 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
http://www.adorama.com/FLFW.html?sid=1169312247187612

One in my "Toot-Bag". One in my Black Fishing Vest. Bought them in UK for £3 a pair. Done worrying.

Duane Burleson
January 21st, 2007, 10:51 PM
Also try a heavy rubber band just smaller than the filter. Put it around the filter and start with a grip it as lightl as possible. Works every time for me.

Duane