View Full Version : choosing proper scene file

Andzei Matsukevits
January 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
im still learning how to use HVX and can't handle it very well. i have some projects coming up and i thought how i would set the best scene file settings for each scene.

I thought about using Barry Green's scene file settings, which came with a book on a cd. I would put it on SD card. Instead of EXTREMES i would randomly make up my own scene files(coz extremes are probably too extreme to use). So before shooting new scene, i would just go through all 24 scene files and find most proper one, then tweak it a bit and i should be set. Has anybody tried this before, is it working?

I made a test shooting and realised that i just can't rely only on my guessings, so i thought about useing this method

Robert Lane
January 20th, 2007, 05:35 PM
The simplest method is to start tweaking each camera setting individually and watch how it affects the image you're looking at. It's best to do this in a controlled environment of some sort, either in a studio with a good external monitor or, on location with subjects you are familiar with and have shot before and know what kind of output you prefer.

The nice thing about the HVX is that it is capable of simulating many different looks - as described in Barry's book - but chances are you'll find a setting that is specific to your needs and won't exactly replicate anyone elses settings.

Sam Jankis
January 20th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Andy, I use Barry's scene files as ballpark shortcuts and tweak from there, too.

Andzei Matsukevits
January 21st, 2007, 02:33 AM
yeah, i will try it out soon, hope it works...