View Full Version : Firewire network in XP?

Alex Taylor
April 9th, 2003, 08:46 AM
I just had an interesting thought the other day. If I get a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable and hook it between two computers, will I be able to make a firewire connection between the two so I can transfer files?

Rob Lohman
April 9th, 2003, 09:57 AM
I've heard from people who just plugged the cables in and had
a 400 mbit connection (they also claim there is a special firewire
driver in their network configuration screen). I've also heard
people who claim it didn't do nothing. Personally I have only
one machine with firewire and that machine is running Windows
2000. So I can't try it out for myself....

Let us know if you test it what happens!

Bill Ravens
April 9th, 2003, 10:01 AM
I do exactly that, however, I use some software from UNIBRAIN to manage the interface. It works excellently as for a small LAN system, allowing file transfers between nodes at 400 Mb/sec. No routers or hubs required.

Joe Carney
April 9th, 2003, 12:54 PM
I have firewire via my Audigy card and it includes firewire networking drivers.

Alex Taylor
April 9th, 2003, 04:22 PM
I tried it at our school lab today between two XP computers, nothing seemed to happen. However, when I unplugged the cable it gave me a network connection unplugged warning, so obviously it recognized it but didn't really do anything with it.

Bill Ravens
April 9th, 2003, 07:58 PM
The setup between two computers with Win XP ad firewire ports is fairly involved. Open the CONTROL PANEL/NETWORK CONNECTIONS icons and select NETWORK SETUP WIZARD. Then follow the prompts.

Jeff Donald
April 9th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Just for reference, you do it on a Mac by turning off one computer, hooking up the cable and then starting up the computer and holding down the T key. This is called FireWire target mode and the internal hard drives of the second computer will show up on your desktop.

Garret Ambrosio
April 11th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Bill is right you will not need anything more than what's in XP Pro, not home edition, though (sorry). Just set it up like any other TCP/IP network. Create the network using any of the reserved or internal IP addresses, ie.10.1.1.0 (subnet 255.255.255.0) or 192.168.1.1(subnet 255.255.255.0) and just remember to assign a unique address to each machine and XP will do the rest. Oh, be sure to enable File Sharing service in order to share files across the LAN. Remember: Without a repeater IEEE1394 has a cable limit of 15ft of maxiumum length.

David Hurdon
April 12th, 2003, 05:35 AM
After I put my firewire network in place about a year ago I did a "how to" video, which Unibrain bought. It's at
http://www.unibrain.com/1394_products/1394_networking/firenet_pc.htm
I should mention that WinXP wasn't involved. The two pc's run Win2KPro and Win98SE.

Alex Taylor
April 13th, 2003, 12:50 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Just for reference, you do it on a Mac by turning off one computer, hooking up the cable and then starting up the computer and holding down the T key. This is called FireWire target mode and the internal hard drives of the second computer will show up on your desktop. -->>>

Ah, Macs make it so easy!!