View Full Version : New cpu, mac guys what do you think?

Joe Riggs
January 31st, 2007, 11:06 PM
Building new cpu, strictly for editing, no gaming or internet. I plan on running both Windows and Osx on it. I will mainly be working with Premiere, After Effects and Final Cut (my school uses it). Below are my planned specs so far, would love to hear thoughts and suggestions.

E6600 core 2 duo
Asus P5W DH Deluxe - is this board overkill?
Raidmax 630w PSU - any good?
2 gigs of Ram - Any brand recommendations?
4 sata drives- 2 for each OS
Graphics card - need some help here, I don't plan on doing any gaming, Ati or Nvidia?
Case Antec p180 vs. p150, or something else? I would like it to be reasonably quiet.

Thanks

Harm Millaard
February 1st, 2007, 04:23 AM
If you really want to run both Windows AND OSX get a Mac and use Bootcamp. If you build your own PC, chances are OSX will not work at all.

Lindsay Bruce
February 1st, 2007, 05:57 AM
I know it's possible to circumvent OS X's security check to see if it's running on Apple hardware - there's videos posted on the net that show various PCs booting into OS X - but I wouldn't know how to do it myself. I think this is pretty much a Unix-geek knowledge thing. Probably best not to mess around with OS X innards unless you really know what you're doing, besides which, you'd be breaking the EULA :-) Harm's right - buy a Mac and use bootcamp instead.

Chris Luker
February 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
I would read the Mac OS license agreement before trying to install it onto your new box... they don't let you install it on anything other than a Mac. Sure you CAN, but you CAN rob a bank or illegally download music too...

Cliff Etzel
February 1st, 2007, 01:42 PM
If you want some feedback for a hackontosh, you might try going to the osx86 Forums - http://forum.insanelymac.com/

Boyd Ostroff
February 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM
Chris is right, Apple has been very clear that they aren't licensing OSX for non Apple hardware. You definitely will not receive any tech support for the operating system and applications if you build your own box. Considering the investment involved, it seems like a bad idea. If you want to use your machine for Mac applications it would make a lot more sense to buy a Mac...