View Full Version : So What's the verdict on Monopods?

James Harring
February 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I took my hiking stick (which is threaded) and stuck my HDV cam on it to simulate a monopod. My conclusion is it seemed likely it would be too hard to keep level, and possibly use a LANC controller without incurring excessive motion, specifically rocking.

I've not been able to actually try a real one one out, due to where I live. Is my hunch correct, or is it stable enough?
The ones with the fluidhead and feet in the bottom intrigue me.

Don Bloom
February 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
When I shoot with a small camera I use my Bogen 682B whenever possilbe. It has the "legs" and I put a 501 head on it with out the panhandle so when using a small camera I can still have tilt and pan but use the camera as a handle. I also use a LANC controller for zoom and focus.

When using a monopod you have to know and understand it's limitations. Even with the feet I would be very wary of leaving the camera by it self without my being really close just in case. Also you're right it will rock and sway a bit IF you touch it. Remember it's only a small center pole with a lot of weight at the top so it's like an upside pendulum. I will say this - if I'm shooting my PD150 I use the monopod whenever possible. I can't hold a camera that still for that long (maybe my age has something to do with it) but honestly, when I used the 150s as my prime cams for weddings I used the monopod for the entire reception.
Like any piece of gear you have to practice with it and know what it's capable of doing and what you CAN'T do with it. There's a right way and a right place for using a monopod and there are times when it just isn't right and you need to use a nice sturdy tripod.
Don

Harold Schreiber
February 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Hi James,

I've added an articulating head mount and a removeable handle to my Bogen unit. You don't say what kind of Video you plan to do, but Don's got it right,
it works for some and not for others. I find it can be very useful with practice.

Check out my Pics in the "Hows about a Mono-Pod with a Handle and an Articulating Head Mount" thread. I also use either a Lanc Controler or a custom made Infrared Remote set up for the Zooming.

Harold