View Full Version : Frame mode on XL1, XL1s, XL2, XLH1, Gl1, Gl2

Norman Woo
February 7th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Hi Folks

Not sure where to place this post but since I have the XL1 and we cannot cross post ...

My friend recently purchased a GL2 and we were hoping to match our footage for a rock concert (using Frame mode on my XL1 and his GL2).

To my amazement, the Frame mode of the two camera does not match. The Frame mode of the GL2 looks a bit more "video" like than the Frame mode footage from my Xl1. I double cheked with him to make sure he did set his GL2 to FRAME and he confirmed that he did.

So my general question is has anyone compared the Frame mode look of the Canon 3CCD lines of cameras (Xl1s, XL2, XLH1) and confirm whether they are different or should be the same? Is there something we missed in the setting up of the GL2?

I do prefer the Frame mode look of the XL1.

Regards

Holly Rognan
February 7th, 2007, 04:29 PM
They should be very similiar. The Gl2 will be sharper than the XL1, but the cadence will be the same. You may have exposure and color differences that make them appear different, but the motion will be the same, unless a different shutter speed was used and you can see dramatically different cadence.

Dan Keaton
February 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM
In a project that I did previously, we used some XL1s's and some GL1s. The frame mode on the XL1s was much better than on the GL1's.

I realize that you were referring to GL2's. I just wanted to share my experiences.

Alex Sprinkle
February 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'm about to shoot this exact thing (Xl1s and GL2) in about a week and a half. I'd love to know if something was not going to look good.

Dan Keaton
February 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Dear Alex,

I recommend that you run a test.

The XL1s and the GL2 frame mode should be close.

We used an XL1s and a GL1 and there was a difference.