View Full Version : Please help ASAP, exporting FCP and DVD studio pro

Clayton Woodley
February 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I have always used Premiere pro and encore to make my movies in the past, this time I'm on a mac and I'm trying to figure out how I would go about making the DvD. In Premiere I would export the sequence uncompressed and then let Encore compress it to Mpeg 2 or whatever

I recently finished my movie in FCP. and I need to know the best way to get the best quality on dvd without compressing too much ect... The movie is under an hour and is ready to be exported.

what settings do I use?

should I export it as mpeg 2 out of FCP?

If not then what?

Whats the best way to get my movie into DVD studio pro and then onto DVD without losing quality.

Thank you very very much

-Clayton Woodley

Gene Crucean
February 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM
What version of FCS are you working with?

This is a pretty big question btw. Start playing with both apps and reading manuals. It's easy if you just put your mind to it instead of posting here for a step by step because you're lazy.

Basically...
- Export to compressor and start with a DVD preset. export 2 separate files, video and audio.
- Import those two files into DVD studio pro and start slapping your dvd menu's together. I'm not about to get into how to use either application.
- Build.

3 easy steps.

Andy Mees
February 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM
3 Even easier steps:
Export a QT Reference movie from FCP (Export > QuickTime Movie w/ Current Settings, Make Self Contained unchecked)
Import that into DVDSP ... add menu's to taste
Build

Clayton Woodley
February 8th, 2007, 12:42 AM
hey I figured out what my problem was. I didnt change the bit rate since the movie was only 45mins

and its not because I was "lazy" it's because I needed the information fast, couldnt find it on the internet, and didnt have the manuals in front of me.

Andy Mees
February 8th, 2007, 07:31 AM
too late ... once a "lazy" always a "lazy" ... its on your permanent record now mate <grin>

Gene Crucean
February 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
hey I figured out what my problem was. I didnt change the bit rate since the movie was only 45mins

and its not because I was "lazy" it's because I needed the information fast, couldnt find it on the internet, and didnt have the manuals in front of me.
Hehe Andy. No really I didn't mean to label you as lazy. I was talking in general because the question was so broad. Typically when people ask broad all encompassing questions, it's because they are lazy to look it up. When they are small specific questions it's usually because they are mid way through hacking some problem down and have a specific question.

Either way I'm glad you got to the bottom of it.