View Full Version : Bought an A1 and now wish you bought...

David Grant
February 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I was given a package price from a local dealer on the A1 and have until early next week to make up my mind. This is my first step into the higher end of Video. Last camera was a consumer 3 ccd SD. I'm not exactly sure what I'll be doing with it. I've done still photography at weddings and thought I'd also try video.

I just thought I'd find out why people have buyers remourse before I buy. I didn't want to spend much more than $4kUSD and I want HD.

Signed
Sleepless in Ottawa

Dave Stern
February 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM
another. .

Alastair Brown
February 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Ditto! seriously thinking about number two already.

Bill Pryor
February 11th, 2007, 05:56 PM
My only remorse is that B&H now sells the camera for $3500. I paid $4K. Still, it's the best thing on the market for that price, in my opinion. No regrets whatsoever.

Bogdan Tyburczy
February 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I took my XH A1 for the trip just 2 days after I picked it up from B&H. I was afraid it wouldn't arrive on time but it did. No regrets either. Remorse? None whatsoever :) I'm glad Canon pushed most of the XL H1 contents into smaller form factor.

Insung Hwang
February 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Just got mine recently. Loving the camera as I get to know more about it. LOOOVE the pre-set (rack) focus feature! Wish I had a second one of these.

David Grant
February 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I guess since I don't know what I'm getting into, it's a big chunk of change to spend on a tool I've never made a dime with. The camera is also a bit more expensive in Canada. Thanks for the feedback

Holly Rognan
February 11th, 2007, 10:36 PM
If you dont plan on making money from it, I would suggest the HV20. It presumably has the same quality, 24p and manual control. It will give you near the performance for only a grand. I am planning on a few to supplement my A1.

My current HV10 is amazing!

David Grant
February 11th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I did say I haven't made a dime in video, but I forgot about a job I did a year or so ago. It was a SD 3 ccd and I bought a nice Rode mic to go with it. It was about $1200 then, and EVEN I could tell it wasn't a great picture. I would like to get into video as a part of my career over the next year or so. I know you need professional tools if you are going to be taken seriously, but are you trying to say the image is as good out of the HV10 in most shooting situations as the A1?

Holly Rognan
February 12th, 2007, 12:13 AM
YES, the hv10 is almost as good in picture quality. It has a nice big 1/2.7 sensor for decent DOF and crisp colorful images that definately rivals if not surpasses the A1 in instances. Now the HV10 isn't a miracle worker, especially in low light and manual controls, but once you understand the limitations, the sky is the limit.

I can't say enough about the HV10, the HV20 will be better in lowlight more accessible controls and 24p! This cam is going to be fabulous, building upon the HV10, and rivaling the big brothers the H1 and A1. If you plan on doing serious commercial work, then you can't really get by with a consumer looking cam, but for semi-pro, documentary, and home videos, this cam will be stellar.

I plan on using my HV20 as a pro-backup tool and behind the scenes cam, as it makes people less intimidated and they can act more natural around a small cam.

I dont want to deter your XH-A1 purchase, but you may be able to get by with the HV10 or Hv20. I still love my A1 as much as the day I bought it, but I love the HV10 as well.

Insung Hwang
February 12th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I guess since I don't know what I'm getting into, it's a big chunk of change to spend on a tool I've never made a dime with. The camera is also a bit more expensive in Canada. Thanks for the feedback

Hi David, I can certainly relate to the money situation. It certainly IS a lot of money as far as money goes. But for what it does, it's actually pretty affordable! Think of it as a small fish in a big (professional) pond. If you're sure about getting into professional video, I might suggest getting some sort of film/media education, if you haven't already done so (not to sound condescending or anything like that!). Reason I say this is, is that once you know what you need to make a professional product, you'll realize that the offerings of this camera aren't luxury items, but necessities. Sure, any cinematographer or videographer worth their dime will make a beautiful picture out of anything whether it's the latest 4K Red Camera or an old Super-8 Sankyo. Basically, invest in yourself first, then the equipment.

oh, by the way, don't let the pressure of the "package price" rush you into a buying decision. With digital technology, you'll likely have a better deal the following week than the current week anyway! Research, and know what you want to use the camera for. As Holly mentioned, if you're doing documentaries there are advantages to using a smaller form-factor camera.

Alastair Brown
February 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HV20-Yes-Its-True.htm

The HV-20 does sound as if it could be a nice static/2nd or 3rd camera. Would be nice to have two XH-A1's and an HV-20 for family stuff and occasional static/third camera work. From my point of view, I'm talking wedding shoots.

Tony Tremble
February 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM
I am seriously considering the HV20 to use on my Merlin and as a deck for the XH-A1.

TT

Alex Leith
February 12th, 2007, 06:45 AM
The HV20 does look pretty appetising, although I love the compact tidy lines of the HV10.

Michael Wisniewski
February 12th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Same feelings here from another very happy A1 owner. Wouldn't hesitate to buy a second. I'm just coming back from several weeks overseas in rugged locales, and I'm extremely pleased with it's performance. Definitely getting that falling in love feeling.

My only remorse is that I wish I could find a custom hiking backpack with a good waist belt. (And of course it's only now that I see the Camrade advert at the top of DV Info.)

Philip Williams
February 12th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Remember that camcorders like the XH A1 hold a fairly good resale value. If you buy one and use it for even one gig and sell it you'll probably not lose a dime.

Unfortunately, the reality is that it can be difficult to get paying gigs with a camcorder like the HV20. In every other technology sector the typical consumer has embraced the fact that products get smaller, better and cheaper. Unfortunately, that mindset simply has not translated to people's perceptions of camcorders. Show up at a wedding gig with an HV20 and the last thing you want to hear from the bride's parents is "Hey, we've got one of those." At that point, its an uphill battle. People don't understand that the PERSON behind the camera is what they're paying for.

I witnessed this when I went to the Atlanta aquarium with my XH A1. When I go somewhere with my Optura people just jump in front of me and no one notices or cares that they might be totally blocking my shot. When I had my XH A1 with me, people were moving out of my way, ducking and even dragging their kids out of the way.

Mark Fry
February 12th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I have no regrets over buying the XH-A1: Lovely pictures, understandable controls, sensible auto settings that are easily over-ridden. However, it was a close call between it and the Sony FX7 and V1. It is worth trying the Sony, especially if you think the Canon may be a bit too big. There are a few small features on the Sony that are missing from the Canon, such as HDMI and S-video output (Canon has Firewire, componant and composite), which may or may not be important to you. On the other hand, the Canon has a choice of balanced or unbalanced audio, stereo mics that are surprisingly good for built-ins, bigger chips and other advantages. There are lots of posts discussing the relative merits. My best advice is to get your hands on them both.

Given that there are issues with the progressive-mode of the Sony V1 (discussed at length elsewhere on DVi), if progressive is not important to you, you should be able to haggle the price down. OTOH, if progressive is your thing, you may prefer to leave this cam alone. At least be sure you understand what the problems with the Sony are and whether or not you can get them fixed later. Last I heard, there was confusion, but I'm not up-to-date.

If you like the sound of the Canon HV20, also consider the new Sony HC5 and HC7 (I think those are the correct numbers) and the current HVR-A1 ("pro" version of old HC1 with balanced audio, etc.) I'm guessing that the Canon will have the edge, but none are in production yet (except the HVR-A1). The current Sony HC3 is probably not "serious" enough for someone attracted to the XH-A1 - IMHO!

Alastair Brown
February 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Seeing as we are all making nice noises about the HV20/HV10, how well do they comapre to a normal SD 3 chip prosumer camera?

Me personally, I have a Panasonic GS400 that I love. Would I see much of a difference and if so....in favour of which camera?

Meryem Ersoz
February 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM
if you seriously plan to try weddings or any event video, you'll most likely want the audio features and tweakable low-light capabilities of an A1. also, its nice, fat wide-angle lens... if you're just wanting a consumer-grade camcorder with some flexible features, then the HV20 would be an awesome choice, and there is no point in paying up for features you would not really use.

another idea: used FX-1s seem to be coming available periodically at prices between the A1 and the HV20. which, minus the progressive feature, is a lot of camera for an excellent price.

if you can pinpoint your identity as a video producer, you can probably pinpoint your camera. are you a high-end consumer, or are you serious about getting paid? if you can definitively answer that question, then the camera choice should follow the question, not the other way around.

Barry Gribble
February 12th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I bought two, and no regrets.

David Grant
February 12th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I didn't mean "Did anyone wish they spent $1000 on a consumer cam instead of $4000 on an A1".

I decided I "needed" a semi-pro/pro camera. Maybe I do, maybe I don't - We'll find out in 6 months or a year at the latest (my wife is very good at finding all the things I bought and didn't need).

I intended - Do you wish you had the FX-7 for the HDMI or the HVX200 for the more customizable audio or the G1 for the extra's or the "..." for the Low light performance or I should have saved for a 2/3" sensor camera.

From the responses of this tread, I think I should have asked the "FX-7 Guys" the same question - and see how many answered an A1 with an HV20 for HDMI out.

Insung Hwang
February 12th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Haven't had a chance to use the Sony, but I have shot with the HVX. Here is why I chose the A1 over the HVX.

With all features aside, the bottom line is that I prefer the image quality of the A1 over the HVX. This isn't to say that the HVX is anything to sneeze at. It's a great camera with amazing pictures. But two things that kept me away from it (actually three). #1. the picture, 'though less compressed is soft compared to the Canon. To be fair, you would have to 'up-res' the image from the HVX and then compare THAT DVCPro HD codec with the full res Canon hdv-compressed image. When all is said and done, the Canon has a superior image in terms of clarity and aesthetics (aesthetics is subjective, but I prefer it, especially the film-like 'grain'). The HVX is not far behind though. Again, I'll hire a great DP with an HVX over a lousy one with an A1 #2. The P2 workflow is both an advantage and a disadvantage. In the not-too-distant future, this is the way to do it. Right now, I don't want to carry an extra laptop or harddrive to my locations. For production, it's a hassle. For post, it's a dream. #3. Bang per buck. Even if the two cameras were the same price, I would still get the A1. My only 'regret' is that I wish I had the cash to get the XL H1, but the money I save from that will go towards production. So, no regrets.

Steven Davis
February 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I bought two, and no regrets.

Hey Barry, did you buy the two to go with a third(other model cam)? I have a Sony Z1u atm, and am looking at that A1, two of them actually, to give me the three angles I like to use. Btw, if you get to Richmond, I'd love to see one. :}

Marty Hudzik
February 13th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I sold my H1 and bought an A1. I promptly sold the A1 and bought a used H1. I could not live with the ergonomics of the camera and the lack of certain features that are buried in menus on the A1. I would have felt the same for any of the "handy cam" format cameras. So that is not Canon's fault. I just thought I could live without the form factor and all of the controls at my fingertip. But I couldn't.

I still read how people love the A1 because it has so many manual controls. Maybe compared to the SOny offerings, but in comparison to H1 it seems limited.

And, just to clarify, a large part of my bias is because I still do not particularly care for Canon Servo lenses. I use the 16x manual a large amount of the time and I rely on the tactile feel of a real manual control focus too much to give it up.

and one more note......I'd love to have an A1 to complement my H1. But I could not "replace" my H1 with an A1.

Peace!