View Full Version : VariZoom... Which one?

John Locke
September 19th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Does anyone have any opinion on which Varizoom controller is better? The VZ-Pro-L with the toggle switch for zooming, or the VZ-Pro-LX with the dial and push button combination for zooming.

I've heard people complain about being able to control toggle switches. The toggle on the XL-1 can be difficult to control, too. But I read an opinion from someone recently that the Varizoom controller with the toggle button is better than the other.

Any experience or input?

Chris Hurd
September 21st, 2001, 09:28 AM
Hi John,

<< The VZ-Pro-L with the toggle switch for zooming, or the VZ-Pro-LX with the dial and push button combination for zooming. >>

Actually both have a speed dial. The Pro-L has a rocker & speed dial, the Pro-LX has buttons & speed dial.

<< I've heard people complain about being able to control toggle switches. The toggle on the XL-1 can be difficult to control, too. But I read an opinion from someone recently that the Varizoom controller with the toggle button is better than the other. >>

The deal is, with *pressure-sensitive* zoom rockers on all these DV camcorders, not just the XL1. It's very hard to hold just the right amount of pressure. They're a lot worse than the feathered rockers on expensive pro broadcast lenses.

The Pro-L's rocker isn't pressure sensitive. Mash it down as hard as you want, it's only going to go as fast as the speed your dial is set to. Want to go faster or slower during a zoom, just roll the dial at the end of your index finger while holding the rocker down with your thumb.

The Pro-LX works exactly the same way, except with push-buttons instead of a rocker (more room for extra features on this controller).

It's mostly a form-factor issue. Some people find the rocker more intuitive than the buttons. They're used to rockers. No difference in function, however.

Ask me anything about VariZoom. I am the VariZoom King.

Ed Frazier
September 22nd, 2001, 08:10 AM
Hi Chris,

I read somewhere on your website that you will be posting a review of the new Stealth controller from VariZoom. When can we expect to see that?

Chris Hurd
September 25th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Hi Ed,

As soon as I can get one in my hands, I'll let y'all know. By the way, it's comforting to have someone else in the community who knows where the apostrophe goes in "y'all" -- I certainly do appreciate that!

;-)

John Locke
September 25th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a South Texan comment to me!

I beg to differ...in the Panhandle it's usually "ya'll." And we all know that West Texas English is the standard by which ALL other Texas dialects are measured.

But we West Texans will forgive you this time, Chris, seeing as how this is your message board and site.

On that same note, how do you say "pecan" (that's a word that'll give away where you're from right away).

- PEE-can (West Texans who've been isolated from TV most their lives)
- pe-CAHN (South Texans)
- pe-can (Yankees...anyone north of Dallas)

Okay...I'll shut up now.

Chris Hurd
September 25th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Ehh... John... I can throw you an argument here...

The word "y'all" needs that apostrophe between the Y and the A, my friend, because it's a contraction of "you all." When you cram those words together they way we do down here, I think it's obvious that it's "y'all" (you plus all equals y'all).

Of course, I bet you already know that "y'all" is the singular form and refers to just one person. F'rinstance, if I invited you over for dinner (you're welcome any time, by the way), I'd say:

"John, y'all come over for dinner."

But if that invitation was extended to include not only you but your entire family (which it is, by the way), then I'd use the plural form, which is "all y'all" as in:

"John, why don't all y'all come on over for dinner."

You raise an interesting question regarding the word PECAN. Down here pecans are regarded as some sort of highly revered food source... thought of, spoken about, and consumed in high degrees all around. You said...

<< - PEE-can (West Texans who've been isolated from TV most their lives)

- pe-CAHN (South Texans) >>

... quite right. As for myself, I hear it both ways all the time, but I say it "pe-CAHN." Then again I ain't exactly what y'all would call a Native Texan. I'm a transplant from Kansas (pecans were import items up there).

Tom Mckay
September 30th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Re: StealthZoom report

This is Tom from VariZoom. We will be shipping Chris "The VariZoom King" Hurd the first StealthZoom production unit very soon.

We too are awaiting to read the upcoming report. Chris has already tried the first prototype version of this control. Of course being a true dedicated professional he will not, publicly, comment until seeing the actual unit that will be sold in stores. I know, I tried.

We are already taking orders, mostly, from people that already own some of our other gear. Details are on the site now.

See it here: http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/stealth.htm

Chris, I hope it's okay to plug the product here?

Thanks

MSBSaude
October 12th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Is the zooming automatic accelerated/decelerated or i have to do so by chaging the dial positon while zooming?

With Pro-LX i have to hold the push buttom while zoomig or a single touch is enough?

Is it possible to set the final focal range or varizoom will only stop by releasing the buttom/rocker?

Varizoom controls focus and iris too?

Thanks for your help
Marcelo.

Chris Hurd
November 2nd, 2001, 01:13 PM
Howdy from Texas,

Ed Frazier asked:

<< I read somewhere on your website that you will be posting a review of the new Stealth controller from VariZoom. When can we expect to see that? >>

Just posted it today -- thanks for your patience,

Adam Wakely
February 5th, 2002, 12:31 AM
There seems to be a few VariZooms to choose from. Is one much better than another? The stealth seems pretty cool! I know the answer may be posted throughout this site somewhere but I can't find it and can't wait as I want to order one.....Now! :)
(as long as it's better than the on-camera zoom, which is still pretty good!) I wish there wasn't so many accessories for the XL1 because my wife doesn't like my Visa bill!

Thanks....

Vic Owen
February 5th, 2002, 12:38 AM
Check out Chris' review of the Stealth model on the XL-1 Watchdog page -- look under articles.

Remember, he who dies with the most toys, wins!

Adam Wakely
February 5th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Thanks, I should of read it better!

I'm sold!! Where's my Visa?????

Chris Hurd
February 5th, 2002, 09:49 AM
My favorite actually is the PG-L model. Not yet reviewed on my site but you can find it at www.varizoom.com -- the new ones have a rocker switch, not buttons. Hope this helps,

Bill Ravens
February 5th, 2002, 10:22 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Vic Owen : Check out Chris' review of the Stealth model on the XL-1 Watchdog page -- look under articles.

Remember, he who dies with the most toys, wins! -->>>

a common misconception amongst baby boomers

Edward Troxel
February 5th, 2002, 01:30 PM
It also depends on what you want it to do. Not all models offer all functions (such as turning on or off the display or cueing).

Adam Wakely
February 5th, 2002, 05:59 PM
The Steath seems to do everything I need and it's a good price (even after our stupid Canadain dollar!) I also like the VZ-LSP
Professional Shoulder Support System as I do alot of camera work off the tripod. Anyone actually use it? Does the camera still 'rock around' while you walk?

(topic change a bit...)

I'm actually still waiting for a friend of mine to finish a 'steady cam' idea that he has been working on for a couple of years. It's basically a round ring that goes around the camera (just bigger than the XL1) and the camera sits on a swing like base. Then there's handels on the sides with some bearings inside. You can let go of one handel and drop the camera near the ground and will still keep the camera upright.
I plan to share the info here if he ever finishes it and it works!

Vic Owen
February 5th, 2002, 06:54 PM
The one feature that I wish the Varizooms had is the on-screen information display button, such as the Canon controller has. Having to reach for the remote is inconvenient--with the Varizoom, you might need a third hand!

Ed Frazier
February 5th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Vic, there is at least one model that does have a Data button. It is the VZ-Pro-LX. This one also has Rec Search + - buttons for cueing the tape when in Record Pause.

Adam Wakely
February 5th, 2002, 08:53 PM
How come the most expensive is always the best?!!!
I think I only care about zoom, focus & stop/start without touching the camera,( eg: Reception speeches at a wedding.)
probably the "Stealth" for me anyway. It appears better for using the zoom (which I like the slider style!) and the focus at the same time compared with reaching on the bottom to focus! One could rest the hand on the tripod handel while using 2 fingers for zoom & focus.
But I'm glad to read the comments! I'll wait a few days before I order "just in case" I change my mind....:)

Ed Frazier
February 6th, 2002, 07:37 AM
I have noticed two annoying problems with the Pro-LX model and am considering exchanging it for the Stealth or Canon ZR-1000.

1. The XL1S will not go to Standby mode when VZ is connected. This is being worked by Varizoom but I haven't heard anything from them in several weeks.

2. The zoom buttons need to be firmly depressed before zoom starts. This is not a problem, but when fully depressed, if the button is moved from side to side without lifting the finger, the zoom may stop and start unpredictably. Has anyone else noticed this?

My first Pro-LX was replaced by Varizoom with both problems noted. The replacement has the same sticky button problem but I'm waiting until they get the Standby problem fixed before assuming this is a feature rather than a problem.

Vic Owen
February 6th, 2002, 05:14 PM
The more I read about these puppies, the more I'm inclined to stick with my ZR-1000. Once you've mastered the "feel" of the zoom rocker, it works pretty well and has all the required features.

The only issue I've had with mine was needing to fabricate a different clamp when I moved to the Bogen 503 head -- the handle is larger than the design of the controller can accomadate.

bingalls
February 7th, 2002, 12:07 AM
I am a real fan of the VZ-Pro-LX. It was the 1st investment I made after buying my XL1 and I use it on every shoot. Granted the layout of the buttons could be better, but standby, data buttons (onscreen), zoom, focus, all work great. With the new rocker arm it should be even better.

Adam Wakely
February 7th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Yes, a rocker arm! I could handel buttons for focus but I need that rocker arm for zooooooooom!

David Phillips
May 11th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Hi, can anyone reccommend a UK stockist for the VariZoom lens controller?
I'm interested in the Stealth. Ayone had any good or bad experiences?
Regards David

Chris Hurd
May 11th, 2002, 07:16 PM
For a list of authorized dealers, see http://www.varizoom.com/uk/

Marcus Farrar
May 13th, 2002, 05:51 AM
I have had the stealth zoom controller. It is nice. It works well. The only problem I had with it which will seem odd b/c that was it's main purpose. It is to small. The buttons are to close together. I personaly prefer the controls that have buttons a little larger.

If that is an issue for you check out studio1store.com. There control is a little larger. For me that is nice b/c it made it easy to learn the buttons without looking. With the stealth control the buttons are so small it was a little funny. I must all for how small the stealth control is it could be the best unit for you is size is a big issue.

Chris Hurd
May 13th, 2002, 07:00 AM
If the VariZoom Stealth is too small, then I suggest the VariZoom PG-L which is a bit larger with a full-grown handle but still very compact. It has the intuitive rocker instead of buttons, full variable speed control with the ability to lock in any speed, plus focus controls up on the top side. I can use mine without having to look at it. Currently my favorite of the VariZoom line.

David Phillips
May 14th, 2002, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the help. The size seems to be the common problem.
I'll take another look and let you know what I go for.
Many thanks David

Robert Bobson
March 31st, 2003, 06:32 AM
Is the PD150 equiped with control-L (LANC) control, so that you can use the VariZoom stealthzoom controler?

Has anyone used it with the PD150?

never mind - I found my answer at the varizoom site - http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/dvx.htm

Yes, it does work with the PD150.

Bob

Don Bloom
March 31st, 2003, 01:03 PM
I got it when it 1st came out and I LOVE it. I might marry it. No my wife will get mad, but I use it everytime I'm on a tripod and a lot of times when I'm using my shoulder brace. Sometimes I don't attach it to the tripod handle but hold it in my hand to control zoom, focus and recording. That way I don't have to touch the tripod at all. Can you tell I'm a fan!
Don

Marco Leavitt
March 31st, 2003, 07:11 PM
How's the rocker on that thing? You do smooth, slow zooms? I've been debating whether to get the Stealthzoom or one of Varizoom's beefier models. I like the small size. My bag's stuffed as it is.

Wayne Orr
March 31st, 2003, 07:25 PM
There are other manufacturers of controllers besides the heavily advertised Varizoom line. You might check out my review of the Zoe unit at my website:
http://www.digitalprods.com/zoe.htm
BTW. I get nothing from this endorsement. I just feel it is a very high quality product.

Don Bloom
March 31st, 2003, 10:18 PM
I have found the rocker to be quite decent. It's a variable speed type and frankly after a couple of minutes with it, the days of fast zoom were gone. A little practice with any piece of equipment goes a long way but this was so easy to master. I really like using it.
Just MHO
Don