View Full Version : Z1U wide angle: 16x9Inc or Century Optics?

Hans van den Nieuwendijk
February 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hi,

Looking for a wide angle lens of 0.7 for my Sony Z1u.
In the 600 dollar region I have the choice between the:

* 0.7X Wide Converter from 16x9Inc
* Century Precision Optics VS-07CV-HDS 0 .7x

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Hans

Boyd Ostroff
February 24th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Hi Hans and welcome to DVinfo. You might find the following threads interesting:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=77240
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=67014
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72949

Patrick Moreau
March 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Get a redeye lens for less than those at vfgadgets.com. It is the size of a uv filter so it is great if you ever need to use it on a stabilizer.

Carlos E. Martinez
March 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Where are you Tim Dashwood?

Have you tried these aspherics and compared it with your Switar?

http://www.vfgadgets.com/RedEye.htm

Seems interesting, but I am worried about aberrations, both optical and color.

Justin Carlson
March 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM
If it helps, I just picked up the Century Optics 0.7x lens last week and used it for a wedding. It worked great. My only complaint is that it doesn't come with a lens hood. Other than that, I'm very happy with it.

Boyd Ostroff
March 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Century makes a hood (I have one) which is compatible with that lens but last time I looked it wasn't listed on their site. It also has a filter slot and looks pretty much like a mattebox without a rotating stage. It cost me ~$150 a year ago. Give them a call to find out about availability.

Carlos E. Martinez
March 13th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Century makes a hood (I have one) which is compatible with that lens but last time I looked it wasn't listed on their site. It also has a filter slot and looks pretty much like a mattebox without a rotating stage. It cost me ~$150 a year ago.

If I remember well, B&H also had them. It's worth a try.

Carlos E. Martinez
March 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
If it helps, I just picked up the Century Optics 0.7x lens last week and used it for a wedding. It worked great. My only complaint is that it doesn't come with a lens hood. Other than that, I'm very happy with it.

Did the camera get front-heavy with that lens?

Justin Carlson
March 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM
It definately got front heavy. Even more so when I put on the Century Optics 2.0x teleconverter.
It was ok though as I used it with a tripod or shoulder mount.

Boyd Ostroff
March 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM
If I remember well, B&H also had them. It's worth a try.

Yes, they had them, but Century was offering a lower promotional price for people who had purchased their lenses. I would check directly with them if you're interested.

Carlos E. Martinez
March 14th, 2007, 06:46 AM
B&H is not listing those shades anymore, so Boyd is right in trying Century.

Boyd Ostroff
March 14th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Actually B&H does still list them although they're out of stock. I should point out however that they are no longer a DVinfo sponsor. But if you search for CEVSSS05 on their website, you'll find them.

Carlos E. Martinez
March 14th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Actually B&H does still list them although they're out of stock. I should point out however that they are no longer a DVinfo sponsor. But if you search for CEVSSS05 on their website, you'll find them.

Wow, it's really hidden!

I looked for it on both Century WA lenses and the sunshade was not listed as an accessory there, where it should be.

Myles Williams
March 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM
(my first post) Hi everyone !!

I have had my Century wide angle for 1 month. I love this lense. I used it to shoot some footage for SpeedTv.com at Sebring this past weekend and it proved to be worth its weight in gold when in the pits and when doing interviews. I didnt have the hood in time for the event but overall I am very happy. Yes it is super front heavy with this lense, but I compared it to the Sony wide angle and for my needs the Century was the only way to go.

Myles

Bankim Jain
June 4th, 2007, 01:06 AM
does the century optics .7x lens gives the feel of using a J11 lens on pro camers like when panning tilting etc the different feel is what i expect fropm the .7x lens.

Tom Hardwick
June 4th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Carlos - it looks to me as if RedEye have come up with a new design of lens. They say:

''The Red Eye FX uses a high grade glass with low dispersion qualities, reduced barrel distortion, improved resolution, AR coatings and contrast.''

Now this is interesting, as the 58mm 0.7x and 0.5x RedEye's I tested on a VX2000 were very disappointing in the barrel distortion stakes. They were aspherical high pressure injection mouldings, so the move to glass and hopefully a more complex aspherical surface may well have put these lenses in a different league.

But showing pictures taken into the corner of a room like that is the way to disguise barrel distortion, as any straight line passing through the centre of the frame will be undistorted however poor the correction. I'd very much like to see and test the new 0.5x on my Z1, and put it up against the Bolex Aspheron.

tom

Carlos E. Martinez
June 4th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Now this is interesting, as the 58mm 0.7x and 0.5x RedEye's I tested on a VX2000 were very disappointing in the barrel distortion stakes. They were aspherical high pressure injection mouldings, so the move to glass and hopefully a more complex aspherical surface may well have put these lenses in a different league.

But showing pictures taken into the corner of a room like that is the way to disguise barrel distortion, as any straight line passing through the centre of the frame will be undistorted however poor the correction. I'd very much like to see and test the new 0.5x on my Z1, and put it up against the Bolex Aspheron.

Yes, that comparison with Aspheron lenses might be great. Pity the Bolex (Switar?) are so expensive and difficult to find.

I supposed the RedEyes were glass, not plastic.

Tom Hardwick
June 4th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Nothing wrong with plastic lenses. Their refractive index will never match glass, but all this means is that generally plastic lenses are thicker and lighter, that's all. Once the hugely expensive injection moulding tool has been beautifully polished, the aspheric elements pop out quite cheaply.

I've met many who refuse to believe that they already shoot through plastic aspherical lenses in the 12 to 15 element line-up inside a modern camcorder's zoom. As far as aspherical surfaces go, glass is exorbitantly expensive. It may well be less prone to scratching than plastic (though the multi-coating won't be) but deep inside a multi-element zoom that's not a problem in the slightest.

tom.

Myles Williams
June 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Ken Jan of CTL in Silver Spring who does my editing, thinks so yes. They do offer one that has limited zoom capabilities, but is 10% wider and THAT is what I will use for all my wide shots from now on.

Myles

Carlos E. Martinez
June 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
They do offer one that has limited zoom capabilities, but is 10% wider

Limited zoom capability, after enduring it with my Century 0.6X, is not something I quite like to live with.

Myles Williams
June 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
thats why I like the Century i have, ,as it has full capabilities. But sometimes , for example when I shot this small piece for Speedtv.com I needed more.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid340473122/bclid595226652/bctid909937486

Myles

Myles Williams
June 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM
When I shot this I was jammed in the ceiling ( i aM 6.3) and couldnto get back enough to get a wider view of her. I really needed my old HC3 for this one.

Myles

Bankim Jain
June 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM
J11 someones knows about it ,... does the century .6x zoom thru thing gives similar effect when panning or tilting etc @ widest end................................................................................................. ..........

Greg Patch
June 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I have the Century .7x and I love it. It does make the camera nose heavy but its worth the extra weight...

Carlos E. Martinez
June 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I have the Century .7x and I love it. It does make the camera nose heavy but its worth the extra weight...

Its diameter is also larger than the .6x. It won't fit my matte-box.