View Full Version : Split wmv into 4 parts then render each. How best?

Ian Stark
February 27th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Hi all,

I have a 100mb wmv file that I wish to split into four roughly equal size separate files.

What is the best render setting to use so as to not further compress an already heavily compressed file? I want the resulting files to be in wmv format too.

Perhaps there are better tools for simple splitting of files and if so would someone be kind enough to give me a heads up?

Many thanks!

Ian . . .

Douglas Spotted Eagle
February 27th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Boilsoft makes/made a tool called AVI/MPEG Split that is a non-recompressing split tool for virtually every format the world has ever seen. Cost is around $50.00, if I recall correctly.

Ian Stark
February 27th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Yep that did the trick. Thanks Spot.

www.boilsoft.com for anyone else that's interested, and the product is now called AVI/MPEG/RM/WMV Splitter (how elegant) and costs $34.95.

The fact that you recommended a third party product suggests that there is no way of doing this within Vegas without re-rendering and presumably therefore adding a further generation of compression, am I right?

Thanks again for the timely advice.

ian . . .

Douglas Spotted Eagle
February 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Vegas will recompress any non-avi file, and any file that has been modified in any way. GOP without recompression isn't a simple thing to do well, as evidenced in the community posts related to the few NLE's that do edit GOP without recompression.