View Full Version : A music video I recently made and submitted to Spielberg's reality show...

Jeff Ray
March 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hey guys,

So like most young filmmakers out there I submitted whatever my last project was and was hoping to see if there are any other filmmakers who submitted their stuff as well. I'd love your thoughts and opinions, and I'm looking for to get reviews on the site as well. The aspect ratio got messed up, so if you want to watch and rate it on the site but want to see a proper quicktime version, I'll post one below.

Thelot.com link: http://films.thelot.com/films/24451

Quicktime link: www.suitedproductions.com/dynah_promise_video.mov

Douglas Villalba
March 1st, 2007, 10:46 AM
Very nice!!!
I couldn't ope your page to comment on it.

Phillip Palacios
March 1st, 2007, 09:24 PM
link worked for me,
i liked it alot actually. the only thing is the mask effect: i didn't understand it, so it got old, other than that it was nice, your pacing carried the song as by itself it doesnt have much dynamics.
nice

Derek Elkins
March 3rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
VERY nice!!

My only critique is that the audio in your introduction was so poor that I assumed the video itself would be of the same caliber. Luckily, it was not.

Dante Waters
March 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Hey guys,

So like most young filmmakers out there I submitted whatever my last project was and was hoping to see if there are any other filmmakers who submitted their stuff as well. I'd love your thoughts and opinions, and I'm looking for to get reviews on the site as well. The aspect ratio got messed up, so if you want to watch and rate it on the site but want to see a proper quicktime version, I'll post one below.

Thelot.com link: http://films.thelot.com/films/24451

Quicktime link: www.suitedproductions.com/dynah_promise_video.mov

Well done Jeff... I guess it's safe to assume that you used the HVX 200
I'm interested to know if the native res looks as smooth or if it's just the resized version. Also did you rent any equipment for the shoot or was all of it yours?

Jeff Ray
March 4th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Well done Jeff... I guess it's safe to assume that you used the HVX 200
I'm interested to know if the native res looks as smooth or if it's just the resized version. Also did you rent any equipment for the shoot or was all of it yours?

I've been quite happy with the performance of the HVX. I'd say there's only a minor degradation in quality, simply due to the fact that I have to downconvert to SD in order to play on DVD players. I've yet to try burning to a HD-DVD and playing on a HD player. But yeah, only a slight loss in quality, but other than that, the smoothness and what not remains intact.

I have my own HVX, a dolly and about 12 fluorescent lights. I have to rent everything else (arri lights, metal track for dolly, etc.) All the outdoor stuff was lit naturally, no artifical lighting.

Thanks for the comments guys. I respect the opinions on this forum, so it means a lot.

Jeff Ray
March 4th, 2007, 02:01 AM
double post

Dan Brockett
March 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hi Jeff:

Wow, really nice work. You have obviously watched a lot of music videos and have a good feel for pacing, abstract visual ideas, etc.

1. I really dug the face being ripped apart by the text effect. Cool stuff and it definitely took the video out of the realm of the normal.

2. Song is good, very good but the band seems somewhat generic. Would be nice to have a few more band shots that establish each member better.

3. Your black and white conversion and vignettes were perfect, very tasteful.

4. My only critique is that I can go through many of your shots and match them back to music video cliche's...the backlit silhouette of the singer is from NIN "Closer" and about a million other music videos. The homeless man dying is also pretty common. I loved the composition of the little girls with the guys and the red balloon but the solo color object in a B&W comp is kind of tired as well.

You are young and probably haven't seen the sixteen trillion music videos that an old geezer like me has seen since I watched MTV continuously for years when they actually played videos. Hence, I am probably more sensitive than most to music video cliche'. If you haven't seen it, get the Mark Romanek director's DVD from Palms Video, it's on Netflix. Romanek was and is the best music video director by far, no comparison to anyone else is possible. Some of his more famous and iconic videos are Madonna's string of Rain, Bedtime Stories and bunch of others, NIN Closer, The Perfect Drug, you have definitely seen his work but you may find some interesting influence if you watch the DVD and learn how he functions, where he gets his ideas and how he develops them, all much more important than mere technique.

That said, you have a LOT of talent, a great eye and have directed a much video than I ever did when I was interested in directing music videos. I would just say to keep it up, keep refining your craft and art and perhaps you will get chosen.

All my best,

Dan

Jeff Ray
March 4th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Hey Dan,

Appreciate your in-depth analysis. A lot of great points there. Yes, I've got both Director's Label series, and yes, Mark Romanek, as well as Jonathan Glazer, are my favorite music video directors. I guess it's just hard at this point in time to really try any creative ideas that I'd really like to explore because a) Unsigned bands (and there are PLENTY in Austin) can't afford much for a video, and b) At 20 years old, I'm still trying to convince bands, labels, etc. that I can make a quality product from a technical standpoint. And again, with such a low budget, those two things sometimes contradict.

But regardless, thanks for all your comments. I agree with everything said and I've got another video coming up at the end of the month which I'll be sure to link to you for your thoughts.

Thanks again Dan.

Jimmy McKenzie
March 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I have to say that this is a cinematic jewel. The only music video I have ever done is organic stage stuff sans le storyboard. Do music videos no longer get played on tv? If they do, the studios could use your talents.

That was nice to watch. Good luck on the lot.

George Huczek
March 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM
To me it looked like the drummer was not in synch with the drum beat.

Jimmy McKenzie
March 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
To me it looked like the drummer was not in synch with the drum beat.

Sure George. Hardly a comprehensive review. If it was out of sync, perhaps the producer was using something called "style".

This is referred to as undercrank, something that allows HVX200 users to utilize when creating slo-mo in the camera....

Now if his non-linear editing system is completely on the blink, then I stand corrected...

Jeff Ray
March 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Sure George. Hardly a comprehensive review. If it was out of sync, perhaps the producer was using something called "style".

This is referred to as undercrank, something that allows HVX200 users to utilize when creating slo-mo in the camera....

Now if his non-linear editing system is completely on the blink, then I stand corrected...

I find with slow-mo that you can either try to match it perfectly beat for beat, or simply try to focus on one note to match, which is what I did. It's more about that one beat than anything else.

Dennis Hingsberg
March 10th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hey Jeff, looks great... I wonder what a color version would have looked like? :)

What dolly did you use? Very smooth, cheers!

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky
March 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Why a color version? I thought it looked GREAT in B&W! I voted as such. I also liked the song.

If you like black & white, please take a look at my film, also on the same site - and mostly black & white.

http://films.thelot.com/films/23105

Its cut from footage from a full length feature.

Brian

Dennis Hingsberg
March 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Like I said, I wonder what a color version would have looked like - I didn't say it should have been done in color... great either way.