View Full Version : Same Day Edit - Feb 12

Pages : [1] 2

Jason Magbanua
March 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Hi all.

If you have time to spare, kindly check out this video.

http://ipodweddingvid.com/videos/charisse_jon.wmv

Thanks for watching.

Shot with FX1s and edited on Prem Pro on a Dell XPS 1210.

Sheldon Blais
March 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Wow Jason....that was like watching a movie. Your presentation is so unique and so different than stuff I've seen before. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed watching it....

Joe Allen Rosenberger
March 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Jason,

You ROCK!

I loved all of it.....you have an awesome eye, definately some of the best stuff I've seen around.

Thanks for sharing.....and give yourself a pat on the back.
Joe

Bob Thieda
March 3rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Outstanding!!

Very, very nice......

Bob T.

Jason Magbanua
March 3rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
thanks for watching :)

Kit Hannah
March 3rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah, that was really good - your framing on shots is excellent, almost looks like you had a professional DP planning all the shots. Keep up the incredible work.

Bill Anciaux
March 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
Jason,

I watched it once alone, then called my wife and son (6yrs) over to see it. We were riveted. It is truly breathtaking and inspiring work. This is the kind of film I love to study over..and over...and try to learn from.

Thanks,

Bill

Ben Lynn
March 3rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Wow Jason, that was great.

It wasn't the shots that grabbed my attention, those were great, but it was your audio track. That was a great remix track. And editing wise, I love the straight cuts. Very clean. Good stuff.

Ben

Jason Magbanua
March 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM
The track is Wonderwall as sung by Ryan Adams. :)

Mark Morikawa
March 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
wow... really cinematic.

now was that a same day edit right before the reception? (holding my breath)

thank you for sharing

Franklin Bencosme
March 4th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Very Very Nice Jason....

Jon Omiatek
March 4th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Amazing, truly one of the best i've watched. How many cameras did you use for the shoot?

Thank you for sharing!

Jon

Victor Kellar
March 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Just adding to the chorus of superlatives. I totally loved the track and the fact that it obviouslly had personal resonance with the couple is terrific.

Beautiful filming technique, very emotional. I seemed to be seeing shots from the reception .. generally our same days include material up to the reception .. we show it just before couple enters hall.

Demo quality stuff indeed

Jason Magbanua
March 5th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Thanks guys.

It was shot with two cameras and yup it's a same day edit for the reception dinner. The only time we can put reception footage on an SDE is if they choose to do the first dance upon entering the ballroom. We ask about it and plan ahead of time so I just leave blanks on the timeline where I decide to put the dance shots.

Here in Manila, it's ususally shown after dinner and before the games.

Cheers!

Mark Morikawa
March 5th, 2007, 01:38 AM
wow... i can't believe thats a same day edit... unreal

Peter Jefferson
March 5th, 2007, 05:13 AM
i'll just be a parrot and repeat everyones praise :)
awesome stuf

Richard Wakefield
March 5th, 2007, 06:00 AM
love it!

the colouring is especially impressive and consistently good from your previous demos too... do you saturate the colours to get them that striking, or is it another method (magic bullet etc)?

anyway, well done, a pat on the back for you!

Victor Kellar
March 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Kind of a funny thing: Last 4 same days I cut here in Toronto were with Fillipino clients .... interesting coincidence

Alastair Brown
March 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
You just make it look so effortless time after time. Truly Inspiring!

Tom Tomkowiak
March 5th, 2007, 03:04 PM
...Here in Manila, it's ususally shown after dinner and before the games...

For me this would've been a Same Week Edit. Great job!

So what are the after dinner games you mentioned?

Jason Magbanua
March 5th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Richard
We utilize the picture profile features on the FX1. IN post we grade some more with Filmfx. Its several times faster to render than MB.

Tom
Usually the bouquet and garter toss and sometimes games for long time married couples happen after dinner. Most of the time, instead of the actual toss, games are done like, musical chairs, limbo rocks, dating games, etc.

Cheers!

Nicholas Valentine
March 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Amazing work. Just one question. Did you shoot in 24p? 30p? or 60i?

Jason Magbanua
March 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Nicholas. The fx1 can only shoot 601. I just have the faux progressive mode (cineframe) on. :)

Billy Mallari
March 6th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Jason man!..Can you show me some of your video techniques next time I visit our homeland? I would love to train with you even for a day....very nice video.

From a big Pinoy fan in Canada

Patrick Moreau
March 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Good stuff Jason.

Considering this is an SDE, its shows how much time you can cut down on editing when you shoot it well. How much time did you spend actually edited, not including exporting and what not?

I normally am not a big fan of the hand held type of footage that you have a lot of here but I think it looks excellent with the style of music and editing you went with as well as the toning of the shots.

Patrick
www.still-motion.ca

Mark Holland
March 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Let's see, how do I say this...WOW !

There's no other word for it!

And Same Day Edit too?!

WOW !

Michael Y Wong
March 28th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Not to bring up a dead horse but that was definately fantastic.

Your 2 shooters (I assume you and a colleague of yours) really took advantage of 2 cams, giving the illlusion of some great & extensive coverage. Your subject framing and editing choices are also excellent.

Coincidentially I was just looking @ filmFx myself these past few days. I may give it a try but I 100% do love magic bullet.

May I ask how long it takes to render that ~4 min highlight video in 1080i HDV?

Many Congrats!

Peter Jefferson
March 28th, 2007, 10:41 PM
micheal with MB2 and a decent nvidia card, you can get faster than realtime rendering (HDV) or 2.5times realtime on DV
Im using a 6800GT (512mb 256bit) on my desktop and a GO7300 (256mb 128bit) on the duak core laptop
Both perform extremely well
MB2 was oen of teh reasons i upgraded the desktop GFX card after seeing MB2 run full frame full res HDV (cineform actually) on the laptop

Michael Y Wong
March 28th, 2007, 10:54 PM
MB2 was oen of teh reasons i upgraded the desktop GFX card after seeing MB2 run full frame full res HDV (cineform actually) on the laptop

AHHHHHHH cineform, now that would explain it!!! 100% explain it! my 7950gx2 is a gig of memory (dunno whether it fully utilzes the full gig) and is basically 2 7900gt's in sli, so it is definately a decent card.

Thanx for the help Peter!

Peter Jefferson
March 29th, 2007, 12:25 AM
AHHHHHHH cineform, now that would explain it!!! 100% explain it! my 7950gx2 is a gig of memory (dunno whether it fully utilzes the full gig) and is basically 2 7900gt's in sli, so it is definately a decent card.

Thanx for the help Peter!

well dude, its also the actual version youre running, if ur running MB1, then theres no point, however with your set up, MB2 should fly.. even with HDV
Also im not sure what bitrate your cards are running (128/256/320), as the memory wont mean much if your bandwidth is low, and the bitrate is what will bottleneck the processing of the plugin

Dana Salsbury
March 29th, 2007, 09:55 PM
It's time to quit your day job if you haven't already. You make our industry better through your talent and dedication.

I did my first SDE today and it went beautifully, although it was just one camera. Oh the anxiety! The frustrating part was the groom didn't want me to play the audio because he didn't want to distract the guests!

Jason, I'm assuming you played it from your laptop to a projector. What app did you use to play it?

Jeffrey Butler
April 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Did I say really well done? Really. Well done.

Chris Rodgers
April 7th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Very nice. I edited my own wedding video to that same song back in October. Nice work.

Jason Magbanua
April 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Not to bring up a dead horse but that was definately fantastic.

Your 2 shooters (I assume you and a colleague of yours) really took advantage of 2 cams, giving the illlusion of some great & extensive coverage. Your subject framing and editing choices are also excellent.

Coincidentially I was just looking @ filmFx myself these past few days. I may give it a try but I 100% do love magic bullet.

May I ask how long it takes to render that ~4 min highlight video in 1080i HDV?

Many Congrats!

hey Michael. I only shoot SD wide (not HDV). With filmfx on all the clips, a minute clip will render at around 6-8 mins (using a dell xps 1210. 2.0 core 2 with two gigs of ram, 256 vid card).

Jason Magbanua
April 9th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Jason, I'm assuming you played it from your laptop to a projector. What app did you use to play it?

Hey Dana. If I have enough time. I burn a DVD in encore. Otherwise, I record onto DV tape using a dinky handycam and playback from there.

On occasion, when time is really running short, I play back from the timeline using the camera as pass through device.

Cheers.

Ron Anderson
April 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM
When I try to view the video I am being asked for a network username and password, why?

Ron

Dana Salsbury
April 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Jason,

It sounds like you come to the wedding with the timeline started and mapped out, then pull in clips. How long does it take you to render? I imagine that since you use widescreen SD instead of HD, it would shorten that time significantly. Was any of the footage taken before the wedding day?

I'm curious why you wouldn't play it from the laptop if you didn't have enough time to burn a DVD.

Jason Magbanua
April 13th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Dana,

There render times are very short. Around 8 to ten minutes for a one song video with filters. All shots in this clip was taken during the day.

Just a personal preference I guess, I trust an rca/cmposite connection more than a vga one.

Cheers.

Patrick Moreau
April 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Hi Jason,

I posted this a while back but never got a reply. Curious how long you took actually editing this piece and if you had anything laid down before hand, such as the song?

Jason Magbanua
April 14th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Hi Jason,

I posted this a while back but never got a reply. Curious how long you took actually editing this piece and if you had anything laid down before hand, such as the song?

Hi Patrick, didn't meant to not reply. :)

Nothing was laid down prior to the wedding day. The disc of songs was actually given during the bridal prep. Even so, I was familiar with the song structure.

I believe I took around 3-4 hours editing this piece. Not a straight 4 hours, but broken down into segments whenever editing was possible. It was a 4pm ceremony and reception started at around 730p. By the time ceremony was over, I was 2/5 done with the timeline.

Some parts where I get down to editing:
in transit
group picture taking at the church altar (30+ minutes, a big thing for Filipinos)
outdoor portraits before the reception
cocktail hour
dinner.

hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jason

Dana Salsbury
April 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Your a rock star Jason. Thanks for sharing.

I guess the one thing that I'm still wondering about is capturing and knowing from where you want to pull clips. I would think that this would be the biggest timesaver. Do you use Firestores? Do you jot down the timecode when you have a good shot and go straight to those places or just look at the thumbnails on the timeline?

Vincent Oliver
April 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I enjoyed the video, great stuff.

Is this the only clip that will be shown on the day, or do you do the full edit?

How long will your final video last and how long will that take?

I generally put together a 1 to 1.5 hour video, but this will take me about a week to compile.

Vincent Oliver
www.photo-i.co.uk

Vincent Oliver
April 14th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Just as a footnote to my previous post and indeed others who have posted on this thread.

My intial message saying it is a great video still stands, Jason has put together a superb wedding sequence.

However, I do question the statement that this was put together on the same day. I counted 64 individual shots that make up this 3.50 minute clip, together with a music track. I work quick, but not this quick, in fact I don't know of anyone who could put together such a polished video, from capture to dowloading, sorting and editing in the same day. Yes, I know many guys who can knock together a draft "sneak preview" in a copuple of hours, but not to this standard.

I also question the reason behind putting together a Same Day Edit, surely the day is still in progress, so why would any newly wed couple want to see events that took place a few hours ago, events of their day are still unfolding.

As I said, a nice well shot video, but I get the feeling that this is not the clip that would have been shown on the same day.

Vincent Oliver

Patrick Moreau
April 14th, 2007, 06:08 PM
If you had experienced showing a well-done same-day edit, you would understand what it is all about. It is a very emotional thing to share and is amazingly well received by the couple and the crowd. Go to a wedding in which a good SDE is shown and your question will sound silly.

The fact that you find it hard to believe that this was put together on the same-day, I think speaks to how well it was done. Jason really did a stellar job on this one. Putting a highlights together in 3-4 hours is not that crazy when your effecient though.

Vincent Oliver
April 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM
If you had experienced showing a well-done same-day edit, you would understand what it is all about. It is a very emotional thing to share and is amazingly well received by the couple and the crowd. Go to a wedding in which a good SDE is shown and your question will sound silly.

I can see the reason for stills photographers showing their proof prints at the reception i.e. try to sell as many prints as possible, but this is not so commonm these days.. Perhaps I am missing an oppertunity to generate a few extra DVD sales by not offering a SDE, but generally I find the people are busy enjoying themselves and I try to capture as much of this as possible. Jason says he spent 3-4 hours editing, I would rather spend this time shooting.

The fact that you find it hard to believe that this was put together on the same-day, I think speaks to how well it was done. Jason really did a stellar job on this one. Putting a highlights together in 3-4 hours is not that crazy when your effecient though.

I totally agree with you here, Jason has put together a stunning production - but was the clip we see here the same clip that was shown on the day. I know plenty of guys who can knock up something quickly but not to this standard.

Perhaps Jason could enlighten us here, did you show this 3.50 minute clip or did you show a draft version?

Jason Magbanua
April 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I appreciate your bluntness.

Yes it is an SDE.

Why do one?

1. Perhaps the best marketing tool available for us wedding videographers. (the wedding video will be viewed by the couple and at most, their family, the SDE is screened in front of hundreds). You don't miss a couple of DVD sales, you miss a chance to sell your services to a lot more poeple.
2. It's a moment where the couple can take a break and relive what's happened (the day was a blur for them, it's nice to watch it in slo mo this time).
3. It's a good piece of entertainment (if done right)
4. On my part, it's very fulfilling once I see the audience response especially the couple's.

Yes this was shown on the same day. The exact version. I would have noted so if I made any amendments. It's quite difficult to convince a person who believes otherwise but the closest thing to proof I have is this...

http://jasonmagbanua.com/blog/2007/02/25/honey-and-gj-bora-baby/

Julie Hill of Elysium Productions was around the whole time to see how we do an SDE.

Here's some more of our work ...
http://jasonmagbanua.com/blog/2007/02/12/kristine-and-willen-stolen/
http://jasonmagbanua.com/blog/2006/12/27/ivy-and-chris/
http://jasonmagbanua.com/blog/2006/11/19/minerva-and-andrei/
http://jasonmagbanua.com/blog/2006/11/04/shy-and-martin-massive-attack-on-the-senses/

These are all SDEs.
We are able to produce such SDEs because of practice (we've been doing this for 4 years) and an intense drive to impress our clients and their guests.

Jeffrey Butler
April 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
However, I do question the statement that this was put together on the same day...I work quick, but not this quick, in fact I don't know of anyone who could put together such a polished video, from capture to dowloading, sorting and editing in the same day....As I said, a nice well shot video, but I get the feeling that this is not the clip that would have been shown on the same day.

First of all, the photography and the angles are superior. That already puts 95% of you wedding photogs behind. Second - there is a clear, homebrew formula that Jason can, and clearly does, follow - one that will you may see more clearly, Vincent, once your eyes dry out after realizing that there are multiple levels of genius above you (and me). This "formula" isn't necessarily one on paper, but it's certainly there. I agree that this is stunning - and the star light/ceremony edit was really sweet - but come on, man. You doubt that you could pull it off, not that it couldn't be pulled off. Kentucky Fried Chicken or Morton's Steak House? McDonalds or Fuddruckers? Motel 6 or The Homestead....Jerry's Home Video Weddings or a JasonMagbanuaVideo...The Vinings Mall Surgery Center or John's Hopkins...

You're wrong about not being able to do this as a SDE - but you're right that it's rarely done.

Vincent Oliver
April 15th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Jason,

1. Yes, of course showing your work to the guests is a good marketing tool, and no doubt you will pick up some extra work. From a clients point of view I wouldn't like anyone pitching for business on my day. But I am sure that your not doing a hard sell.

2. Take a break on your wedding day? Surely, talking to guests, enjoying the day has to be the important element of the day.

3. Yes, it's a good piece of entertainment, but then so is the father-in -law doing his John Travolta dance.

4. I'm sure it is a very fulfilling for you to see the audience, but that's a bit self indulgent.

Jason, I do not wish to undermine your work, as I have said it is excellent.

This question is not aimed specifically at Jason.

What I question is the showing of a video on the same day, by videographers in general. Is this a wide spread activity, or are only a few people doing it?

Looking at this from a client’s point of view. Yes, the day has so many exciting elements, and if an opportunity to see footage is presented on the day then I doubt whether many couples would say no to a showing.

However, a lot of excitement must also be in the anticipation of seeing the video/stills after the honeymoon.

Jeffrey,

Jason’s film has been well shot, nice angles, great use of selective focus etc. But don’t undermine 95% of all wedding photographers. There are a lot of excellent guys out there – and there is also a lot of visual sewage too (stills and video).

“one that will you may see more clearly, Vincent, once your eyes dry out after realizing that there are multiple levels of genius above you (and me).”

We all look for inspiration from many sources, it’s what we choose to expand on or incorporate in our own productions that give each of us our individuality. This is nothing new or bad in this, Beethoven drew some of his inspiration from Haydn, but still kept his own stamp on his own compositions.

Jason’s work has been an inspiration to me, and no doubt many others, I doubt whether there will be anyone who has seen this video, that will not incorporate one or two elements in their own production.

Jason,

Well done, you have made me take a fresh look at wedding video. I will be shooting one this afternoon and will subconsciously incorporate one or two of your ideas.

Best wishes

Vincent Oliver
www.photo-i.co.uk

Vincent Oliver
April 15th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Jason,

I have just seen your other clips. I take my hat of to you and eat my words.

Best wishes

Vincent Oliver
www.photo-i.co.uk

Dana Salsbury
April 15th, 2007, 04:52 AM
It looks to me that the biggest timesaver is shooting SD widescreen and shooting to a Firestore rather than capturing tape.

I love SDEs because they give me an excuse not to tape the reception. The lighting is almost always poor, sound is a challenge, and I feel far more intrusive with my video light than by presenting the video.

People don't have to watch the SDE video, but they will. Some people may not have heard a thing at the ceremony, but can hear it crystal clear on the video. The same is true for their visual experience.

Projectors are not that expensive, and people need to see how far video has come.