View Full Version : Can grey card be used to set up white balance?

Rami Golan
March 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Usually I set up the white balance focusing on A4 white paper. Yesterday my photographer suggested to try and do it with Kodak Grey Scale card. Its wasnt big enough to focus on it, but I did the maximum and pressed AWB button.The result looked somehow even better that my usual WB. Can grey card can be used instead of white? I mean do they neutral same?

Bill Ravens
March 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!!
The only difference between 18% gray and white is the luma signal. IN fact, in many ways an 18% gray card is better suitted. In fact, the camera's exposure meter is probably calibrated against a gray card.

Greg Boston
March 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I have one also and I use it to WB with. I agree with Bill, many camera metering systems are calibrated to an 18% gray scene.

-gb-

Rami Golan
March 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys, so my "subjective" preference for that kind of WB is approved..:-)
Need to buy big grey card, its difficult to focus on the photo small card.

Mark Holland
March 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Need to buy big grey card, its difficult to focus on the photo small card.

Let us know where you get one in the size you need. I'd like to try it, too.

Mark

Dean Sensui
March 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM
You can use a white card and set the camera's exposure to a point where it's about the same brightness as a grey card. Use your camera's "marker" feature to confirm the exposure level if necessary. The results will be identical.

Matt Burton
March 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I use grey all the time, it gives a nice warm glow to the image :O)

Bill Ravens
March 9th, 2007, 08:39 PM
A grey card should add NO coloration to the white balance. If, in fact, you're getting a warming effect, either your process is flawed or your grey card ain't gray.

Thomas Hartz-Olsson
March 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I'd like to get my hand on a grey card. What's the exact term for the card? Grey card?

Mark Williams
March 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Here you go.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=213276&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Regards

Thomas Hartz-Olsson
March 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Thank you. Grey/gray. That's why I couldn't find it on B&H ;)

Tom Hardwick
March 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM
You know it all now, but of course you can white balance on anything from pure white through to jet black.

And if you haven't a clue what setting to use (sodium lighting in a street scene at night, say) then go to wide angle and push the manual white balance button - like me you could well be surprised art what a huge range of colour balance options are built into your camera, and how well it copes. It could well make post CC unnecessary.

tom.