View Full Version : Perplexing Issue With XL1 - distorted playback

Charles Culpepper
March 8th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Very odd issue that has me baffled.
I have a used XL1.
If I record on the xl1 and play back straight from the camera image quality is fine. If I record from the xl1 and try to play the tape on any sony product that I have (a mini dv player and also a Sony 950 camera) the image is heavily distorted. I tried a tape made by canon and same thing.
I should say anything I record with the 950 plays back fine on the 950 and the sony mini dv player.
I have sent the XL1 to Canon and they replaced the drum but that has made no difference.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Boyd Ostroff
March 8th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Sounds like the XL1 is out of alignment. Several years ago I recall reading that this was a common problem with that camera. But it's odd that a trip to Canon didn't fix the problem. But I've also read that you need to be careful about fixing the alignment because tapes which were previously shot may no longer be readable.

Charles Culpepper
March 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Sounds like the XL1 is out of alignment. Several years ago I recall reading that this was a common problem with that camera. But it's odd that a trip to Canon didn't fix the problem. But I've also read that you need to be careful about fixing the alignment because tapes which were previously shot may no longer be readable.

When you play back what you've recorded, what do you play your tape on?

Don Palomaki
March 10th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Also, avoid LP speed it you want to reliably playback on other machines.