View Full Version : Erhan Gucel, Istanbul, Turkey

Erhan Gucel
March 14th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm from Istanbul, Turkey. Age 23. I'm going to a cinema school for become a director. Actually I was a Business Administration student last year but I left the university and decided to do what I love: Cinema business. I told this to my family and told them "I want to learn it in England or USA but they shocked when they heard I want to leave the University :D So they didn't send me abroad, instead they send me 1 year cinema school in istanbul. Schools are really bad here. (for example I'm trying to shot a short thriller here with HD camera, they say "why a HD camera? use a MiniDV, what is the difference?" they compare a JVC HD111 and Sony PD150). The school is a part of a big movie production company.

So, maybe next year I can go to England for a real education. But untill then, I will do my best with my projects.

Hello again everyone.

Rob Lohman
March 15th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Erhan, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

To some degree your school might be right. Sure there is a (technical) difference between a SD or HD camera, but the skill is with the director, cinematographer, camera operator etc.

28 days later was shot on a Canon SD camera and was released world-wide into theaters.

People can do great things with limitations. See it as a challenge and work with what you have. I've seen a lot more movies placed in England/London or USA/New York/LA than I've seen cities or the country side in Turkey! Use unique locations to your advantage.

Good script, good acting, good directing, good editing and good sound & lighting will get you much further than a HD camera!

No doubt you already know all of this, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded of this every once in a while :)

Good luck with school and your projects!

Meryem Ersoz
March 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM
merhaba, erhan

(okay, that's most of my turkish, so don't be fooled by my name....)

you're going to get a way better education at DVInfo than you will in film school.

you should enter this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=100

and this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=144

and you'll get feedback from far more seasoned shooters than you will in most film schools.

best of luck!