View Full Version : Best Tripod for these little cameras

Michael Barrette
March 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM
What would you suggest as the best tripod for an HC20?

My situation is, I recently purchased an FX1, and basically, I am considering moving over to canon instead because I want to shoot in 24P and I feel the FX1 is a little limiting considering it is a very big camera but doesn't have necessarilly a lot of features to show for it. I was thinking about the Canon A1, but now I am thinking about getting going with the HC20 because it's a heck of a deal, and it sounds like in well lit situations, it's pretty much as good as it's bigger brothers. Personally, I love the candid shots, so a small camera is definitely best for that. I'd probably add an A1 to the mix when funds permit.

So my question is, I am using 351MVB sticks with monfrotto 503 head for the fx1, and I am not a fan of lugging around this monster everywhere I go. I like to be mobile.

What tripod would you recommend that doesn't have the weight that is capable of professional shooting with these cameras?

I'm still very newbie with the big tripods, so I am assuming maybe a big tripod is pretty much required to ensure a rock solid shot, but I'll let you guys answer for me!

thanks
Michael

Peter Rhalter
March 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
For portability I am using a Gitzo 2180 head (1.26 pounds) on a Manfrotto 442 Carbon (3.8 pounds) combination. I find this to be a good compromise between weight and quality for use with small cameras. Up to medium tele I don't believe there is any difference between the results from this compared to a heavier support. The Gitzo has an interesting but effective balancing mechanism, very smooth movements plus I no longer grimace at the thought of carrying a tripod on a serious hike.

Best wishes,
Peter

Joe Busch
March 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM
That head/tripod combination is more than the camera!

Bruce Allen
March 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
> That head/tripod combination is more than the camera!

True, but it won't go out of date, either!

That's the beauty of buying an HV20 instead of a Red or 3CCD "Pro" cam... it leaves you with money to spend on stuff that doesn't go out of date.

That's my plan anyway - with the money I save not going for a high-end cam I'm going to buy a nice tripod, some lights, a Schoeps hypercardiod mic and a nice mixer, purchasing on a gradual basis as funds permit... in 5 years time I'll just drop in a HV60 (or a used higher-end cam). But then, I'm going the 35mm adapter route, so the base weight of my HV20 package will be somewhat higher than average ;)

The HV20. It's like a Honda Civic. Except that all of those stupid aftermarket parts you buy for it will work fine in that Porsche you buy in 5 years' time...

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Joe Busch
March 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM
The way I treat my stuff I'd break it ;)

I film paintball... my $20 tripod gets shot atleast 5 times per game... luckily my camera only got hit a couple times...

Steve Szudzik
March 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
The way I treat my stuff I'd break it ;)

I film paintball... my $20 tripod gets shot atleast 5 times per game... luckily my camera only got hit a couple times...

I was wondering about that after seeing some of your clips. Do you have any extra protection around it at all, or is it full exposed to the paint rounds? I showed my kids your sample clips and now they keep hounding me to take them! Not quite old enough yet though (7 & 5). It was actually your footage that helped convince my wife to let me spend the money to get my HD camera next month! Many thanks!

-Steve

Joe Busch
March 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Haha, I'll have another video in the next couple days...

Tripod and camera are basically completely exposed

http://www.lousyheros.com/pics/cam.jpg

Is what I did to help w/ the rain... the first event I filmed the camera would stop playing back after I was done... sent it to canon and got it back in a week.

The next event I covered it in a garbage back, ducttape, and cardboard (the footage you saw)

The most recent event looks like that picture up there... cardboard + ducttape... it didn't rain hard though...

Haha just noticed you're from sammamish too... where at? I'm on the plateau...

C.S. Michael
March 15th, 2007, 10:47 PM
You guys may laugh, but my HV20 will spend a lot of time on this ingenious $17 product: "The Pod." It's outrageously useful.

http://www.thepod.ca/home.html

I also have a Miller DS10 that will be used when the HV20 is mounted to my Redrock M2 (alas, The Pod can't handle that much weight).

Bill Busby
March 16th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I'm laughing, but not at you. It's those before & after photos. Are they kidding?

I want one, but it's not because of the demonstration pics http://www.thepod.ca/content/advantage.html

I've used wrist & keyboard pads before from IMAK Ergobeads products & this Pod thing seems like a more efficient way to go about it.

Bill

Joe Busch
March 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM
lol that looks like a bit of photoshop + gaussian blur action there ;)

Peter Rhalter
March 16th, 2007, 02:52 AM
That head/tripod combination is more than the camera!

Michael asked, "what is the BEST tripod for an HC20?". I agree it's not the cheapest, but it would be hard to beat for performance/weight. He also wants to eventually buy an A1 and this tripod is a good match for that, too. I would think twice, though, before using it at a paintball match.

Best wishes,
Peter

Joe Busch
March 16th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Haha, which is why I'm looking for a cheap but better than my $20 vanguard... ($100-300) with a relatively smooth head... I'm not looking for perfection...

Steve Szudzik
March 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Haha, I'll have another video in the next couple days...

Tripod and camera are basically completely exposed

http://www.lousyheros.com/pics/cam.jpg

Is what I did to help w/ the rain... the first event I filmed the camera would stop playing back after I was done... sent it to canon and got it back in a week.

The next event I covered it in a garbage back, ducttape, and cardboard (the footage you saw)

The most recent event looks like that picture up there... cardboard + ducttape... it didn't rain hard though...

Haha just noticed you're from sammamish too... where at? I'm on the plateau...

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your footage. Are you putting any basic filters on the lense for extra protection there?

Yeah, I'm up on the Plateau as well, up near the fire-station on 228th.

--Steve

Ben Troxell
March 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM
In his other thread he said he used a UV filter.

Michael Barrette
March 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks,

This actually looks like a pretty sweet setup:

Gitzo 2180 head (1.26 pounds) on a Manfrotto 442 Carbon (3.8 pounds)

Being mobile is where it's at... lugging around too much equipment causes shoulder pain!

Cheers,
M

John Godden
March 16th, 2007, 01:37 PM
What would you suggest as the best tripod for an HC20?

My situation is, I recently purchased an FX1, and basically, I am considering moving over to canon instead because I want to shoot in 24P and I feel the FX1 is a little limiting considering it is a very big camera but doesn't have necessarilly a lot of features to show for it. I was thinking about the Canon A1, but now I am thinking about getting going with the HC20 because it's a heck of a deal, and it sounds like in well lit situations, it's pretty much as good as it's bigger brothers. Personally, I love the candid shots, so a small camera is definitely best for that. I'd probably add an A1 to the mix when funds permit.

So my question is, I am using 351MVB sticks with monfrotto 503 head for the fx1, and I am not a fan of lugging around this monster everywhere I go. I like to be mobile.

What tripod would you recommend that doesn't have the weight that is capable of professional shooting with these cameras?

I'm still very newbie with the big tripods, so I am assuming maybe a big tripod is pretty much required to ensure a rock solid shot, but I'll let you guys answer for me!

thanks
Michael

Don't buy somethg "too big". These little cams need a lightweight head. I'm asuming you're referring to the HV20 camera here.

I purchased a Bogen 701RC2 (for a similar sized cam) and will probably downsize to the 700RC2.

I'd HIGHLY recommend the Feisol CT-3401 or CT-3402 carbon legs. You can purchase them directly from Feisol or through the US distributor. These legs plus the 700RC2 would be a perfect setup for a light/small cam.

Regards
JohnG

Joe Busch
March 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your footage. Are you putting any basic filters on the lense for extra protection there?

Yeah, I'm up on the Plateau as well, up near the fire-station on 228th.

--Steve

Ah, go through the round-about and turn right... Actually right next to Beaver Lake not on it but within 2-300yds

Just a plain UV Filter I grabbed for like $20...

Camera got hit once so far, where the camera meets the tripod, no damage to either ;)

Paintball isn't as damaging as people think it is...

Geoff Murrin
March 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Steadicam Merlin! I know, I know, different tools for different purposes. But I think a Merlin would be a nifty thing to use with the HV10 and HV20.

Fergus Anderson
March 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I have just received a glidecam 2000 on loan so if anyone give me any tips on setting it up I can give give some feedback on its use with the HV10!

Mike Burgess
March 17th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I too am looking for a good tripod fluid head. Do alot of outdoor panning of moving objects. Must be smooth, and must have a leveling bubble on the tripod head. Don't want to spend too much money and overdo it. Also, does anybody know if the HV20 will have any kind of a remote for controling the camcorder?

Mike

Luis A. Diaz
March 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I too am looking for a good tripod fluid head. Do alot of outdoor panning of moving objects. Must be smooth, and must have a leveling bubble on the tripod head. Don't want to spend too much money and overdo it. Also, does anybody know if the HV20 will have any kind of a remote for controling the camcorder?

Mike

I've used the Manfrotto 560B Monopod with very good results on the HV-10 particularly for panning outdoors and for boom type shots overhead or obstacles.
Very light, compact and has swivel at the feet that is very smooth, also small spring out tripod feet for very steady shots on tele. with no wind or indoors supports the HV-10 very well with no hands, has a quick release clamp which will be better to use on the HV-20 because you don't have to load from the buttom.

Luis

Steve Szudzik
March 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Ah, go through the round-about and turn right... Actually right next to Beaver Lake not on it but within 2-300yds

Just a plain UV Filter I grabbed for like $20...

Camera got hit once so far, where the camera meets the tripod, no damage to either ;)

Paintball isn't as damaging as people think it is...

I played it a few times back in my early 20's in NC and always had a ton of fun with it. A few good welts, but lots of fun. Just got too busy after we moved up here and haven't done it since then.

-Steve

Oliver Reik
April 13th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Hi!

I've used the Manfrotto 560B Monopod with very good results on the HV-10 [...]

I use exactly the same combination - it is very mobile. When there ist no wind and the monopod is in the lowest position it will even stand on its little tripod. When you remove your hands or start the recording using the remote control (what I do, same with the zoom), you get perfect shakefree shots. I also tried to lean somewhere against to get stability into the system. However - when I had nothing to lean against and there was no way to let it stand by itself I wished to have a tipod with a fluid head. Even though the 560b has a fluid part for smooth sideways movements I found it extremely hard to do smooth moves, because the there is no arm to turn the camera.

Yesterday I have posted a short movie with some of the shots I did with this combination:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91366

Regards,

Oliver

Robert Ducon
April 13th, 2007, 01:29 AM
My Manfrotto 501 head with 755B legs arrived today - it's fantastic!! Smooth as butter, despite being built for larger cameras. I bought the tripod to last, and to be compatable with larger cameras such as the Z1U - but it works and feels just great with my little HV20.

Ray Bell
April 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM
One option would be the Bogen 3001 with the Bogen 3126 head....

that combo is $170.00 at B&H.... its a very sturdy tripod/head combo and
you can add options later if you want to make it even better for your requirements...

If you search on the B&H site with Bogen 3126 you will see many different
combinations to choose from...

hope this helps you out...

Robert Hicks
April 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned a gorillapod. Anyone using one of these with the HV20 and if so which version?

Austin Meyers
April 13th, 2007, 10:42 AM
i got the bogen 700RC2 and a set of induro ax214 legs, i'm very happy with this setup, the induro's center column can be articulated in almost any direction, so it's a nice addition for my hv20 and for my still cams for doing macro stuff when shooting at the ground etc...

Larry Horwitz
April 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Since I got my new HV20 a week ago, and disposed of my bulky FX-1 and heavy tripod last week, I posed the very same question on a couple video production and professional newsgroups to get other people's recommendations for a light and cheap tripod with a good smooth fluid head.

A couple people recommended the Velbon Videomate 607 at around $79.

After Googling the reviews and comments, I ordered one and should receive it in the next few days. I will be glad to offer opinions.

Given it is very inexpensive, relatively light and small, and apparently does have good smooth fluid head I figured it was pretty much a no-brainer, but time will tell.

Larry

Peter J Alessandria
April 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
A couple people recommended the Velbon Videomate 607 at around $79.

I had one of these sitting around in my closet unused for years (needed more stability with my DVX100). Now with the HV20, it's perfect combination of weight and stability with a very nice (for $80 at least) fluid head.

But I am thinking that for most of my non-filmmaking stuff (e.g., family videos), I am going to go with a small table top tripod. I'm currently using the little stand that comes with this flash and it's perfect : http://www.adorama.com/SUDFK.html?searchinfo=sunpak%20digital&item_no=2

Mike Dulay
April 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I got lucky today and was just in time to pickup one of five HV20s that literally just came in to B&H. I was originally there to buy a tripod/monopod (my previous noname didn't survive abuse). Walked away with a Manfrotto 560B Monopod. Yes, I know its not a tripod. The three leg base and the panning action worked well for my skittish run-and-gun style. On hardwood floors and little movement it appears it can stand on its own (discount that if you have children in the premises). At $150 its not cheap for a hunk of aluminum. But it's light and short enough to fit in a suitcase or sports bag for travelling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84946364@N00/460626929/

Larry Horwitz
April 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM
My Velbon Videomate 607 arrived today and I am almost entirely thrilled with it. The fluid head works very well in both pan and tilt, the extended size of the tripod is just right, and the quick release, leveling, and spike / rubber feet are very nice as well. It collapses and extendes very smoothly and easily.

My only disappointment is with the size when it is collapsed. Unlike some models which telescope 4 segments per leg, this one has 3, and therefore the collapsed size is pretty big, approx. 27 inches. It thererfore is not an easy matter to stuff it into a piece of luggage for traveling. The weight is pretty light and the size is not terrible, but I wish it were a bit smaller when collapsed.

Considering that it cost $69 including shipping, I would say that the recommendations made to buy it I received on other forums and newsgroups were excellent, and I would buy it again for sure, unless for some reason it breaks easily. It does appear to be well made and sturdy, but time will tell...

Larry

Peter Moretti
April 25th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Anyone try using an HV20 with a Sachtler DV6-SB? The camera is only 1.2 lbs and the head is rated for a minimum weight of 2.2 lbs.

That being said, I might be able to get a pretty good deal on some equipment, in which case I'd be willing to buy a tripod I can use down the road with heavier cameras, ala H1 or G1.

Another option is the DV2 II but even that is rated at 2.2 lbs on the low end.

And finally, there's the DV1 SL MCF tripod system which IS rated for one pound cameras.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne Brennan
May 7th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Hello all,
I have an interest in the Manfrotto 560B Monopod with the HV20. But I wonder how stable it is on full zoom...
I like it because of the fluid head and that I can throw it into my suitcase when travelling.
Any thoughts on its stability over a lightweight tripod?
thanks,
Wayne

Toenis Liivamaegi
May 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I must admit that this mentioned Gitzo G2180 head is the true king of small portable fluid heads when it comes to light loads like fully loaded HV20. It has even adjustable counterbalance spring system to adjust front or back load compensation. But I must admit that Canon`s A1 is the max load for it and it`s not that great for fluid curved diagonal pans. This G2180 head when combined with Hakuba/Velbon ElCarmagne (CF) 645 legs weights only 2,2kg/4,8lbs and is the shortest and lightest long tripod combo out there. This combo will serve as shoulder support too as the QR plate and pan handle are reversible.
Not that cheap tough.

Cheers,
T

Larry Horwitz
May 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I'd also be interested in hearing other people's experiences with monopods.

My first impression would be that a monopod cannot be nearly as stable as a tripod, given only 1 versus 3 legs.....but maybe my intuition is wrong. A person who has used both should hopefully be able to tell us.

Larry

Peter J Alessandria
May 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM

My first impression would be that a monopod cannot be nearly as stable as a tripod, given only 1 versus 3 legs.....but maybe my intuition is wrong. A person who has used both should hopefully be able to tell us.

Larry

How about a monopod with three feet? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=92847

George Ellis
May 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Larry
Your impression is right. A monopod tends to Yaw (left-right motion) with your hand in the strap. It takes practice to avoid the tendency. Pans can be a little rough as your "head" is the foot and it is not very fluid. So, it too takes practice. But, for action sports and quick sets, it is really good. I shoot a tripod when I can set it up, a monopod when I move a lot, and a Glidecam when I want to follow the action (this was with my VX2100 - switching to a HC7).

PS - a really good trick with a monopod is using the handstrap. I hold the camera with my right hand and put my left through the strap near the top. I grip the shaft and apply pressure down with the hand strap. That makes the monopod less likely to shake. OIS/EIS is ON.

Ajit Bikram
May 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I purchased a Bogen 701RC2 (for a similar sized cam) and will probably downsize to the 700RC2.

I'd HIGHLY recommend the Feisol CT-3401 or CT-3402 carbon legs. You can purchase them directly from Feisol or through the US distributor. These legs plus the 700RC2 would be a perfect setup for a light/small cam.

Regards
JohnG

Hi John,
I found your suggestion for Feisol CT-3401/02 to be a great one. Going to have one soon!
However 700RC2 head seems to be much worser than 701RC2 (info from a review). In case you have used both can you comment?

Can anyone suggest any other cheaper head that can be used with hv20?

Mike Dulay
May 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Hello all,
I have an interest in the Manfrotto 560B Monopod with the HV20. But I wonder how stable it is on full zoom...
I like it because of the fluid head and that I can throw it into my suitcase when travelling.
Any thoughts on its stability over a lightweight tripod?
thanks,
Wayne

The zoom is as stable as you are. I deploy the three legs on the bottom and step on one (pay attention to that leg if it will shift a lot) while looking through the viewfinder for stability. Then I do a slow zoom while moving the the body. Keeping a firm (keep position) but loose enough (not transmit nervous motion to camera) grip appears to take practice if you intend to keep the position long. If you're absent minded like me you may brush or pull the monopod as you let go or try to go beyond the range of the ball base.

I like the 506B now that I've had practice. It's light enough to carry around. It fits in a suitcase/duffelbag. And it can stand on its own on level surfaces.