View Full Version : Problems making DVDs

Corey Welch
March 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM
My company has been making DVDs by an external burner unit for a while because of the fact that it can be done in realtime, but we cant seem to make discs that are compatible with clients players. We output from the computer, through the break out box, and into the burning unit with RCA. Most-All clients have problems with the DVDs either not playing, skipping, or not reacting correctly after a fast forward of rewind. Is this being caused by the process of burning with an external unit? We've tried different burners and different discs (including Taiyo Yuden).....

If the current process is the issue, we'll have to make them within the computer. If so, how can this be done quickest. I understand that transcoding will take extra time, as well as using a software to set up the process. We have DVDit and an older version of Nero Vision. Which of the two would you suggest? I have the adobe collection on my computer at home, so if the project requires more complex menus, I can use encore.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Tim OBrien
March 16th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I would suggest you look into Sony's DVD Architect.

With Taiyo-Yuden or Phillips discs I've NEVER had a problem, but there is one big BUT:

Nothing you do will help if the clients have old DVD players that do not properly handle computer-burned discs. (Most commercial discs are PRESSED, not burned and the depth of the pits in the material is different.)

Luckily most of the DVD players (even the cheapest $30 models) manufacturered in the past handful of years will play burned dvds properly, but once its out of your hands there is nothing you can do if the recipients don't have compatible equipment....