View Full Version : 2 new music vids for MTV, HVX+M2

Andzei Matsukevits
March 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Sorry, my servers limit is exceeded. Youtube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySSe8ud4Oy8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efinish meoff%2Ecom%2F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBwajSGMrg4

Both videos were shot with HVX+M2. I had only couple of days for setting up M2 adapter, so thats why picture is not sharp all through, but i still havent got it(im sick of unscrewing GG and putting it back again and so on). While filming, we had pro DP, DP assistent, make up artist and gaffer. I was directing and later on editing.

In metal video we used Tamron's 14mm and Canon's 50mm lenses. Suprisengly the room was tiny and luckily 14mm lens saved us. During film session we had tons of problems. First, we discovered that the room is way too small. Then, the owner of place told us that we have to be done by 18.00 a clock. We didn't have time for about 1/3 of scenes. Because of that, i had to shoot kitchen scenes at home and those dark scenes in random place. The worst thing was that I didn't have light and DP anymore. I had to do all by myself. I lit the room with those halogen lamps, which everyone could get from Wal-Mart. During shooting, the adapter run out of battery and i didnt have extra one. My wrenches were at home also, so I had to go home and grab them. I learned a lot from this project.

In Agent M video we used Canons 20mm and 50mm lenses. We shot it two days after filming the previous project. That was actually worst thing. I didn't have time to analize my mistakes and storyline wasn't complete either. Agent M video was much harder to shoot. We had to move from one room to another with no lunch pause. We were filming for about 14hrs and by the end of day everyone was so tired that we didnt even care about it anymore. Thats actually why that last killing scene is so cheesy.

While editing I discovered again that I suck in color correction. Next time if budget allows I'll hire someone else to do that. I edited it on PC, so Mac users might see video washed out and lacking of contrast. I don't know how to color correct so, that it looks good on both, PC and Mac?

Anyway, im not very satisfyed with results, but im happy that i had chance to do that. Now im much smarter, at least i think so. Although Im happy with camera and adapter, the picture came out better than i expected.

Please let me know what you think of them.

thanks,

A.

Jaadgy Akanni
March 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Good work Andzei. I've always said that of all the Adapters in it's price range, the M2 has the best image, the nicest bokeh. I liked both videos, although the Finish me off one was too video-y for my taste-I take it that was 30p. I prefer the 24p look for music videos. You know where to improve, so I don't have to tell you. You're on the right path. I found the colors were pretty good too. Keep it up. What kind of lighting did you do on the band? on her face close-ups?

Andzei Matsukevits
March 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
thanks Jaadgy,

I live in PAL country and it was shot 25p. In finish me off video we used HMI lights. In Agent M we had couple of kino flos, fresnels and dedo lights. Sorry, cant tell you exact position of lights, coz im not good at it at all.

Peter Jefferson
March 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Dude, the colour was thick and rich and it did indeed look like film.. the DoF with this M2 setup really polishes it off.. despite the tunage not being to my taste, the "looks" and smoothness around the image which youve got here had me wondering whether these were shot in 720p or 1080?

It didnt look supershapr like video save for some of the motion on the latter clip, but thats forgiveable

Andzei Matsukevits
March 20th, 2007, 12:50 AM
it was shot in 720p/25pn. The only reason why I chosed 720 instead of 1080 was variable framerate. But i realized that I film most of projects in 25fps and only sometimes Im using something different than that, so now Im thinking to go for 1080 in future. Maybe I'll get sharper picture then.

Peter Jefferson
March 20th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I think image sharpness is fine