View Full Version : It this right?

Gareth Watkins
March 21st, 2007, 04:07 AM
Hi there

I've been messing around to find the best workflow for the software I've got available at the meoment, and have a few queries, which perhaps someone can help clear up.

I've been shooting in HDV, importing HDV and now trying various ways of downconverting to SD using Premiere. ie. Rescaling in an SD timeline, and saving an uncompressed version and resizing in Vitualdub....

However when I save an uncompressed file in avi, either HD or SD it comes out square, and this for all the settings in Permiere..

DV avi doesn't do this, keeping it's widescreen aspect!!!

I know I can interpret the footage after Virualdubbing it, as this is always square..

So is this normal to get square (as opposed to 16:9) uncompressed files from Premiere? Or am I missing something here?

Cheers
Gareth

Robert Garvey
March 21st, 2007, 06:13 AM
Hi there

I've been messing around to find the best workflow for the software I've got available at the meoment, and have a few queries, which perhaps someone can help clear up.

I've been shooting in HDV, importing HDV and now trying various ways of downconverting to SD using Premiere. ie. Rescaling in an SD timeline, and saving an uncompressed version and resizing in Vitualdub....

However when I save an uncompressed file in avi, either HD or SD it comes out square, and this for all the settings in Permiere..

DV avi doesn't do this, keeping it's widescreen aspect!!!

I know I can interpret the footage after Virualdubbing it, as this is always square..

So is this normal to get square (as opposed to 16:9) uncompressed files from Premiere? Or am I missing something here?

Cheers
Gareth

Just right click on the image area in VD and take it off automatic.

You should find an option that will make it look right.

Cheers,
Robert