View Full Version : Monitoring with the HD100.

Michael Maier
March 27th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Has anybody found a solution for monitoring out of the HD100 with two monitors? I’m growing sick of this limitation, as I need double monitoring on a daily basis basically. It’s really unfortunate the HD100 only gives you the option of monitoring with one monitor. I didn’t even need two sets of component outputs. A proper separated composite or even a S-video like ALL other HDV cameras have would already suffice. I still scratch my head as of why JVC did it that way while ALL other 1/3” HDV cameras have more options (which basically eliminates the usual “to keep costs down” excuse). So has anybody found a solution to connecting two monitors at once when using the HD100?
I was thinking of maybe using the firewire out. But is there such thing as a portable firewire to component converter? Any other alternatives?

Matthew Rogers
March 27th, 2007, 07:14 AM
You can get either a RCA male to two females splitter, or you can buy this for s-video: http://www.vpi.us/vsplt-sv.html

Maybe I am confused at what you are wanting to do...

Matthew

Michael Maier
March 27th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I need to find a way to send a video signal from the HD100 to two monitors simultaneously. Since the HD100 has no S-video out, the splitter you recommended wouldn’t work. But thanks anyway.

Brian Drysdale
March 27th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I don't know what kind of monitors you're using, but many monitors have a video in and a video out, so that you can connect them in series one after the other and then you terminate on the last one.

Michael Maier
March 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Yes, but that doesn't work for me. I need to send a signal "from" the HD100 to two monitors.

Bill Ravens
March 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM
i'm not exactly sure what your problem is. why can't you use a splitter on each of the component signals

Stephen L. Noe
March 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Why not get the marshall monitor for the top of the camera which connects with shorties and then run component out from the marshall to some other source?

Or as Bill writes, get an A/V splitter. They are available everywhere.

Boyd Ostroff
March 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM
But is there such thing as a portable firewire to component converter?

You could get a firewire box like this and figure out a way to power it from batteries instead of the supplied AC adaptor... http://www.adstech.com/products/API-557-EFS/intro/api557_intro.asp?pid=API-557-EFS

Matthew Rogers
March 27th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I need to find a way to send a video signal from the HD100 to two monitors simultaneously. Since the HD100 has no S-video out, the splitter you recommended wouldn’t work. But thanks anyway.

Try this instead: http://www.casecooler.com/rcasplitcab1.html

Matthew Rogers

Michael Maier
March 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM
The RCA splitter besides weakening the signal, it limits you to two component devices only. If you need to send one signal to a component monitor and another to a composite or YC monitor, like when using my Jib arm, the splitter solution doesn’t work.
The Marshal is out of question as I already have many monitors. Before paying for a Marshal because JVC couldn’t put another video out connector on the camera, I buy another that has the video outs, like a XL-H1 or HVX200 or something.

Stephen L. Noe
March 27th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I found this little splitter (Click here) (http://www.vpi.us/vsplt-hdtv.html) which keeps the signal in tact to two displays. There are a lot of A/V splitters which keep the signal in tact.

good luck.

Michael Maier
March 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Just tired of every time I shoot I wish I had got another camera or had researched more about the HD100 before buying it. Don’t get me wrong, I love the camera part of it. I just never thought that something as simple as a video out jack would be a problem since every and all cameras I ever had had more than one video out. Since I need multiple monitors (and most times with mixed connection types) it has become a pain.

That splitter seems to solve the problem of the weaker signal, but being limited to component devices only still a problem. Thanks for the link though.

Antony Michael Wilson
March 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Yes, it's a small DA you need rather than a splitter.

Brian Luce
March 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM
if you have laptop you can use it as a monitor with the fire wire connection.

Boyd Ostroff
March 27th, 2007, 11:44 AM
being limited to component devices only still a problem.

The box in my link above has firewire input with composite, s-video and component output....

Michael Maier
March 27th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Boyd, I'm pretty sure that firewire box is for SD only, like most DV to analog converters out there. But I may be wrong.
A laptop is not an option Brian. Here's the thing. My main monitor is a HD component monitor. So no matter what I need a component signal to feed to this monitor. The other signal I need is when I use a jib or stabilizer for example. In these cases, it's a composite/YC monitor and it's for framing reasons only, so no need for a better quality one. No need to dump a load of money on a Marshal. I already have a HD monitor for focusing etc. Since I still need to have the main HD monitor too, I need a way to get another signal out of the camera and this signal needs to be either composite, YC or converted to those. The reason I thought of a firewire to component was that that way I could send the firewire converted to component to my main HD monitor and use the component/composite output to send composite to the other monitors. A laptop could only replace the HD monitor, which besides not being a good idea since the HD monitor is a real video monitor rather than a computer monitor, I already have a HD monitor anyways, so it doesn’t solve my problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far by the way.

Boyd Ostroff
March 27th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Boyd, I'm pretty sure that firewire box is for SD only

Oh... you've got me there, that's true!

Stephan Ahonen
March 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM
All professional monitors I've seen have the ability to loop a signal out of the monitor.

Michael Maier
March 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM
All professional monitors I've seen have the ability to loop a signal out of the monitor.

Yeah, but can you imagine the hassle of looping the signal back to a jib or steadicam monitor? The situation I explained above is why I need another solution.

Stephan Ahonen
March 27th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, but can you imagine the hassle of looping the signal back to a jib or steadicam monitor? The situation I explained above is why I need another solution.

On a jib or steadicam even with two outputs on the camera you would have to tether your rig with cables anyway, by looping off the monitor you're just changing where you're tethering from. In either case the best option would be a wireless transmitter to your director's monitor, which you can loop off the rig's monitor.

Keith Winstein
March 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Keep in mind, the Firewire output is delayed by about 1/3 second on the HD100, and your decoder may introduce additional delay.

Scott Jaco
March 28th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Have you thought about using the Viewfinder (eye piece) output for your jib monitor, then using the component out for your bigger HD monitor?

I have no idea what the output resolution is on the V/F, or if there is a multi pin to RCA adaptor in existence for something like this, but it's just an idea.

Brian Drysdale
March 28th, 2007, 08:02 AM

I do this quite regularly if the production can't afford a video sender.

Ben Lynn
March 28th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Michael,

It sounds like you need some more equipment to accomplish what your wanting to do.

You would need to run the component outputs from the jvc to an HD Component DA (distribution amp). Take one of the outputs from the DA and run it to your dedicated monitor. The second output would need to be downconverted to an SD composite signal that could then be run back to the crane. You would need an aja hd componite to sd composite converter for that.

If I were in your position I'd buy those two items and build a custom box that could house the units and would have connections built into the box. That would make it portable and quick to set up on site.

It sounds like you already have a lot of equipment on hand for a shoot so these additional items and cables shouldn't be an issue. If you're taking the time to setup a crane/jib then running the extra cable back to the camera for a monitor feed won't add much time and will be well worth it for a proper feed that you could patch to any monitor you like.

You may even want to spend the extra money for a 1x4 da rather than just a 1x2 da so that you have some spare lines if you need to hd monitor feeds later on.

Ben

Michael Maier
March 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM
On a jib or steadicam even with two outputs on the camera you would have to tether your rig with cables anyway, by looping off the monitor you're just changing where you're tethering from. In either case the best option would be a wireless transmitter to your director's monitor, which you can loop off the rig's monitor.

Yes, although slightly more complicated. But anyways, I found out my monitor has no loop function. Since I never needed it I never checked to see if it had one. So no game unfortuanlly. I have 3 HD monitors and none of them have it.

Keep in mind, the Firewire output is delayed by about 1/3 second on the HD100, and your decoder may introduce additional delay.

That’s one more thing to consider. Although since it would feed the main/director monitor the delay wouldn’t matter much. If it was the operator monitor or something it would be bad.
By the way, I have a HD monitor that has a DVI-D and a HD15 connector. Is there a component converter to these formats?

Have you thought about using the Viewfinder (eye piece) output for your jib monitor, then using the component out for your bigger HD monitor?

I have no idea what the output resolution is on the V/F, or if there is a multi pin to RCA adaptor in existence for something like this, but it's just an idea.

That probably wouldn’t work. There’s something about the HD100 EVF output. It’s not really an EVF output. That’s why you can’t use of EVFs with it. On the top of that I would need the pinout and I have tried several times to get it from JVC but they won’t give it out. So there’s nothing I can do there.

Michael,

It sounds like you need some more equipment to accomplish what your wanting to do.

Yes. Since JVC couldn’t put another video out in the camera I guess you are right. I need to find a work around. All that work for the lack of a single separated composite jack, which any $200 consumer camcorder has and all the other 1/3” HDV cameras too (on the top of component).

You would need to run the component outputs from the jvc to an HD Component DA (distribution amp). Take one of the outputs from the DA and run it to your dedicated monitor.

Would you have any recommendations for a portable and affordable component DA?
That would be basically the same as just using RCA splitters to split the component signal but the difference is that it would not weaken the signal right? Just making sure we are on the same page..

The second output would need to be downconverted to an SD composite signal that could then be run back to the crane. You would need an aja hd componite to sd composite converter for that.

That would run me what? $1,000 just for the downconverter? I wonder if it would have cost JVC 1/100 of that to put a dedicated composite jack there.

If I were in your position I'd buy those two items and build a custom box that could house the units and would have connections built into the box. That would make it portable and quick to set up on site.

How much are we talking about here? Because as I said, before I spend a couple thousand on a work around to fix a limitation of the camera I would just sell my HD100 and get a camera that has a complete set of professionally usable video outputs. A Canon A1 is just what, 3k?

It sounds like you already have a lot of equipment on hand for a shoot so these additional items and cables shouldn't be an issue. If you're taking the time to setup a crane/jib then running the extra cable back to the camera for a monitor feed won't add much time and will be well worth it for a proper feed that you could patch to any monitor you like.

Yes, the extra work isn’t really the problem.
I tried having a RCA splitter hook to the Y jack and sending one Y signal to the component HD monitor and the other Y signal to a composite monitor. You can’t see anything on the Composite monitor. The Component monitor works fine. But if you unhook the Pb cable from the HD100 the picture shows up on the composite monitor and the picture on the Component monitor turn B&W (kind of).
And I think if I just split the Component signals and sent one to my HD Component monitor and another to a SD Component monitor it wouldn't work either. I really don't want to buy one more monitor because I already have several and I don't want to spend a couple thousand to fix something that coul have been easily added to the camera, specially that other cameras on the same price range and even lower have it. I would sell and buy another one before I would spend a lot of money to fix it.
Frustrating.

Ben Lynn
March 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Yes, a DA is used to reproduce the signal with no loss. If image quality is important or critical to you, and it sounds like it is, then you need a DA to properly distribute the signal to multiple monitors.

Here are some affordable DA options:

1x4 DA for $110

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=CEL%2DAV400COMP&off=0&sort=prod

1x2 DA for $54

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=HDDA%2D2&off=2&sort=prod

At this point however, your affordable options run out. I did some additional research and you would need to spend $800 on a component to HD-SDI converter and then another $500 or so on an HD-SDI to composite downconverter. I couldn't find any direct HD component to SD composite converters.

So your looking at a total cost of about 2K for that extra composite monitor feed.

OR,

You could simply buy a small HD lcd monitor for your crane:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=MAR%2DVR70P%2DHDA&off=5&sort=prod

I found that monitor on a quick search and it was $1400. I think you could find one for a few hundered less if you search around.

You really don't have a cheap option ahead if you absolutely need that second feed every time. You'll need to decide if you want to spend LOTS of money in downconverting, or just spend a lot of money to buy a small hd lcd that will display your signal. I suggest the lcd not only for the cost savings but because it will work for other purposes as well.

You may decide to simply sell your camera and buy the A1. I'm sure you know the benefits to each camera at this point so that may be your best option if cost is the main factor.

Hope the info helps.

Ben

Oscar Villalpando
March 28th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Michael,

I found this solution but it's about $500.

https://www.audioauthority.com/indexh.php?ret=https://www.audioauthority.com/index.php?p=productMore&iProduct=40

Nix this! It's not a solution. Output is either composite and S or analog component and HD pass through. Sorry!

Ben Lynn
March 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Oscar that's actually a great find!

That unit solves Michaels issue. You could run the hd monitor from the component pass through and run the crane monitor from the composite out.

Good eye.

Michael, that's a cheap solution that would be worth some serious consideration.

Ben

Oscar Villalpando
March 28th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Ben,

It's not the solution Michael is looking for. This unit does not offer HD pass through and composite out at the same time. It's an either/or situation.

Ben Lynn
March 29th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Yes, but you could couple that with a $100 HD component DA and that would be a very affordable solution. Plus with a 1x4 DA you could later add a second full size monitor to the set at any time.

Ben