View Full Version : can ntsc dvd be played on pal land's dvd players?

Yow Siang
April 3rd, 2007, 03:35 AM
can ntsc dvd be played on pal land's dvd players?
The reason i am asking this is because i am interested to purchase a ntsc camcorder but i am living in a pal region. i need to edit them and duplicate into dvds to pass to my customers, will there be any forseen problems?

ys

Rajiv Attingal
April 3rd, 2007, 04:18 AM
yes you can.

Ervin Farkas
April 3rd, 2007, 05:43 AM
There is no guarantee. While some players will play anything, others will not - your best bet is to look around what you have in your particular country.

Andy Graham
April 3rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
As Ervin says most dvd players nowadays have the ability to play any region however there are still many that can't, older dvd players for example.

Profesional DVD replication companies will tell you that even the big budget DVD's are only 98% fullproof (i forget the exact percentage, it may be 99. something). My point is that DVD production is not a completely fullproof medium whatever the application so your safest bet is to shoot in the region that it is to be shown in, (although i think in DVD studio pro you can set it to play in all regions).

Having said that you get a number of camcorders these days that shoot ntsc and pal so you have the choice, the jvc hd100 for example.Just do some research.

Andy.

Chris Colin Swanson
April 3rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
You can also convert to PAL during editing. I had no problems playing NTSC in PAL land.

I wonder if anyone knows if NTSC plays 25 frames in PAL land or the NTSC 29-30 frames?
Also would a standard PAL television be able to be hooked up as a monitor?

Vaughan Wood
April 4th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Most modern PAL DVD players and TV sets will automatically recognise and play NTSC DVD's. This is because Hollywood is in America!!!!!!!

Unfortunately the reverse is not true, and PAL DVD's have to be converted to NTSC during editing and be re-authored before being sent to America etc.

Cheers

Vaughan