View Full Version : Image too soft Bravis 35mm/HVX200 ?

Vincent Thomas
April 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I was seduced by everything but i'm still unsure about its image sharpeness... To be honest all the footages i have seen from the M2 have better sharpness..
As i know Dennis is also working hard on the current bravis system day after day, i was wondering if there is a huge difference at this moment in term of image sharpness between both product?

Could someone help me to make my choice...?

PS: I have already seen the Phil Bloom comparaison article.. and it's clearly show that..

Many thanks

vince*

Jaadgy Akanni
April 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Thomas, I have used the M2 alot and up until recently I thought it to be the best of the crop of adapters floating around. However, I recently ordered a Brevis 'cause I like what's happening on there. I like that it's physically less cumbersome than the M2. Dennis is constantly improving his product, and I hear that his Achromat is quite superior to the one sold by RedRockMicro. Plus, as I understand it, the Brevis loses less light. One thing I've always appreciated about the M2 is it's Bokeh, the sweetest among all the adapters of its kind. I'm actually gonna be one of the first Cinevate clients to get the new and improved Achromat, which is specially spec'd for the bigger HD cameras like the JVC HD100-250, Panasonic HVX200, etc. So, I'm looking forward to using the Brevis. It should be at my door by Friday. Let's see.

Ash Greyson
April 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM
It is all about set up and focus. M2 has more restrictions in set-up, therefore the image is more consistent across all users. What you are noticing on the Brevis has zero to do with sharpness and everything to do with setup. The CF1 loses WAY less light than the M2, therefore, you have to use a matte box with ND filters, etc. I can say with 100% assurance the brevis is as sharp as the M2 WHEN USED PROPERLY AND MONITORED PROPERLY. Let me also add that about 80%+ of all adapter footage I see online is not focused properly, hence the softness.

ash =o)

Jaadgy Akanni
April 12th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I can say with 100% assurance the brevis is as sharp as the M2 WHEN USED PROPERLY AND MONITORED PROPERLY. Let me also add that about 80%+ of all adapter footage I see online is not focused properly, hence the softness.
ash =o)

I have to agree with Ash. Although most of the Brevis footage I've seen so far has left me much to be desired, I've always suspected that it has to do with human error and lack of skill. BTW, in less than an hour, the Fedex guy will be at my door with the Brevis; I'm so excited.