View Full Version : DVC 8 Theme announcement - GO GO GO!

Dylan Couper
April 12th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Here is the theme for DVC 8!

TELEVISION

(told you it would be NAB related)
That's it! You now have until midnight, Sunday the 29th to shoot, edit, upload your short, and email the URL to me at thedvchallenge@hotmail.com

TIME EXTENSION!
Since you have twice as much time as usual, I'm going to open the duration up to a maximum of around five minutes. Your film doesn't have to be five minutes, it can still be three or less. This five minutes does not include your title time, and can run a few seconds over if need be.

Any questions? Post them here. I'm off to NAB

Marco Wagner
April 12th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Nice!

Resolution and file sizes don't matter correct? Sorry for the dumb question...

Mike Horrigan
April 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM
TIME EXTENSION!
Since you have twice as much time as usual, I'm going to open the duration up to a maximum of around five minutes. Your film doesn't have to be five minutes, it can still be three or less. This five minutes does not include your title time, and can run a few seconds over if need be.

Oooohhhh... this intrigues me!
Love the theme as well.

I just hope I have time for this...

Mike

Sean McHenry
April 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Oddly enough I had an inspiration just last night about television in a sort of gloomy artistic piece. I'm almost ready to go then.

Sean

Mike Teutsch
April 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Here is the theme for DVC 8!

TELEVISION

(told you it would be NAB related)
That's it! You now have until midnight, Sunday the 29th to shoot, edit, upload your short, and email the URL to me at thedvchallenge@hotmail.com

TIME EXTENSION!

Any questions? Post them here. I'm off to NAB

Does this mean that you are superstitious? You were going to announce on Friday the 13th, but you changed it to today!!!! :)

Cluck cluck!

Mike

Fredrik-Larsson
April 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM
ohh... television.. hmm.. maybe it could be 5 minutes of me watching television... damn.. this is gonna take some inspiration... Beeeeer? Where are you? Come out wherever you are... ;)

Marco Wagner
April 12th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Did someone say beer?

Brent Graham
April 12th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Now that would be a theme!!!

I'm loving the 'television' theme...but...

Who votes for the next theme to be BEER?!!!!!

YES!!!!

Marco Wagner
April 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Now that would be a theme!!!

I'm loving the 'television' theme...but...

Who votes for the next theme to be BEER?!!!!!

YES!!!!

Ever seen "Beerfest"? Stupid but funny in a lot of places.

Sean McHenry
April 12th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Isn't that the Guy Madden film?

Sean

Gabriel Yeager
April 12th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hmmmm television..... Now Dylan, how am I suppose to make that fit into the starwars theme???? Hahaha. jk!

This one sure is going to be a toughie (I never knew that was a real word :-P )...
~Gabriel

Per Johan Naesje
April 13th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Yiiik, my talents dosn't even know what a television looks like!!

It's Friday let's have a beer :-)

Anders Risvold
April 13th, 2007, 01:31 AM
ohh... television.. hmm.. maybe it could be 5 minutes of me watching television... damn.. this is gonna take some inspiration... Beeeeer? Where are you? Come out wherever you are... ;)

Funny, thats exactly what my movie will be about :)

Fredrik-Larsson
April 13th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Funny, thats exactly what my movie will be about :)
Don't forget to send me my royaltycheck! I'll take it in beer please. ;)

Anders Risvold
April 13th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Don't forget to send me my royaltycheck! I'll take it in beer please. ;)

Bah, I had the idea long before you posted it :)

Steven Gotz
April 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Yiiik, my talents dosn't even know what a television looks like!!

Can you set up a television with some bird food in front of it and entice the birds to look they are watching it?

I have a plot for my movie. I just need to work out a script and some lighting issues. I have been telling a story for a few years about something television related. If I can put that story on video, I'll have a shot.

Sean McHenry
April 13th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I wonder if you shot the birds and had a monitor in front of the feeder if they would watch themselves eating?

Sean

Jamey Hastings
April 13th, 2007, 04:01 PM
oooooooh television...i work in News...this should be in-teresting! I'm excited!

John Hudson
April 13th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I've been needing an excuse to shoot something

(I'm thinking ......................)

Oscar Nam
April 15th, 2007, 12:11 AM
is it too late to enter?
just wanna know so i dont start brainstorming for nothing.

Lorinda Norton
April 15th, 2007, 12:26 AM
That's a good question, Oscar. Dylan is in Las Vegas and might not check the forum for awhile.

Normally, he cuts off entries once the theme is announced; however, last Challenge he allowed late entries, and this time he didn't lock the sign-up thread. On the other hand (don't ya love it?), I think this is the largest number of people we've ever had sign up. So.....it's hard to say!

One last note to add to this nonsense: Dylan doesn't seem like a hard-and-fast-rule kind of guy, so I'd guess he'd tell you to join the fun.

If he doesn't answer your question by Monday, I'll ask him and try to post. Maybe you can just kind of half-brainstorm until then. :)

Dylan Couper
April 15th, 2007, 01:47 AM
is it too late to enter?
just wanna know so i dont start brainstorming for nothing.

Lorinda saved you on a technicality. Normally I lock the sign-up thread and close entry, but forgot to this time.

So yes, you can still sign up. I'm going to leave entry totally open this time, just to see what happens.

Bob Thieda
April 16th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Well...three days down and the light bulb still hasn't turned on....

Thinking, thinking.......

Bob T. -- Thinking a beer does sound good!

Meryem Ersoz
April 17th, 2007, 08:24 AM
TELEVISION? TELEVISION???? you've got to be kidding me. i'm in bhutan. there is no television! none! the internet is surprisingly accessible. cell phones are oddly ubiquitous, even in the truly remote locations. but only one state-sponsored television broadcast per day, so there's really not much television, and none at all where i am....

better hang me on the wall immediately.

Fredrik-Larsson
April 17th, 2007, 08:30 AM
TELEVISION? TELEVISION???? you've got to be kidding me. i'm in bhutan. there is no television! none! the internet is surprisingly accessible. cell phones are oddly ubiquitous, even in the truly remote locations. but only one state-sponsored television broadcast per day, so there's really not much television, and none at all where i am....

or make a short documentary how life is when there is very little television.. the imagination is the limit!

Mike Horrigan
April 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM

That's easy. Just base your film on how your character is altered by the fact that they no longer have access to television.

Even worse if they were a TV addict!

;)

Mike Horrigan
April 17th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Fredrik, beat me to it...

Fredrik-Larsson
April 17th, 2007, 08:36 AM
It can be good sometimes to be first but the chicks sure don't like it... ;)

Gabriel Yeager
April 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Wow Meryem! That place sounds/looks wonderful (out side of the fact that there is no TV, but I think I could go without)!

Hmm, that will be a tough one. I think Fredrick and Mike both have a good concept for you! :-)

Hopefully you'll be able to bring back some footage to share if you don't make the challenge! :D

I think I am heading to the wall of shame right now....
~Gabriel

Chris Barcellos
April 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM

So there is your theme.... no television....

Sean McHenry
April 19th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Maybe a short doc on what people would want to see on TV where you are. If you can get away with it, what's wrong with television where you are (not recommended in areas with certain governments - don't want anyone getting shot at dawn over a DVC entry)

Sean

Cole McDonald
April 19th, 2007, 09:54 AM
When is the submission deadline? We've got a fun story, but have to schedule everyone now :)

Harris Porter
April 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
So how does this work: The finished video must be viewable online on Sunday, April 29, by... what, midnight? And do we contact Dylan when we have the video posted or will there be another thread similar to the sign-up thread?

Sorry. Newish here.

Best of luck to everyone.

Fredrik-Larsson
April 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
So far Dylan has decided it's cool to enter anytime during contest (a NAB-special thingy).

You mail Dylan on the hotmail-address that is provided somewhere so that he can review the files first before he make them public.

See http://www.thedvchallenge.com/ for more info.

Dylan Couper
April 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
IMPORTANT!

I'm switching the DV Challenge to gmail, so please email me at

thedvchallenge@gmail.com

Thanks!

Dylan Couper
April 19th, 2007, 12:47 PM
So how does this work: The finished video must be viewable online on Sunday, April 29, by... what, midnight? And do we contact Dylan when we have the video posted or will there be another thread similar to the sign-up thread?

Sorry. Newish here.

Best of luck to everyone.

Once you have your video finished and online, email me the URL, and I will post them once I've reviewed them all. Midnight, Sunday the 29th is the deadline.