View Full Version : DC 5V output connector

Prech Marton
April 13th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Hi!

I want to make a homebuilt 10-20W lamp and want to use
the DC5V output of my GL2, but when i attach a standard 2,5 mini jack i cannot see 5V on the output. Is this some special connector or when it works? Only with intelligent Canon accesories? :(

Mark Holland
April 13th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I've never used the DC5V connector, is it aux in, or out? Judging from it's location on the camera, I'm guessing it's for phantom power to a mic and it won't carry enough current to power a light.

Whatever it is, if you use 5 volts to light up a 20 watt lamp, you'll need 4 amps of current. I seriously doubt you're gonna get that much current from ANY 5v aux connector on the GL-2. If you DID manage to get that much, you'll drain the camera's battery fast. (Not to mention the heat generated by that much current flowing through the camera's circuits.) I'd say that the best way to do this is with either a light designed for the intelligent shoe, or a light with an external battery supply.

(BTW, for 10 watts, you'll need 2 amps. Still a lot from an aux connection, but who knows, it might work.)

Good luck,

Mark

Prech Marton
April 13th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Of course the lamp need 12V, and i want to use also a separate battery.
Maybe a 9V one, if the lamp can accept 14V (9+5) or 4*1.5V batteries (4*1.2V akkus), and i can use 11V.
This is also 1,5-1,8 amp, but ready now i only wondering why cant i see the 5V with a multimeter?

(and maybe i even dont want to use the full 20W power, perhaps if i add 10V to the lamp i can lower the brightness... ?)

Mark Holland
April 13th, 2007, 11:41 AM
You might also look at the Canon VL-10Li or the VL-3 lights.

Prech Marton
April 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
You might also look at the Canon VL-10Li or the VL-3 lights.

Yes, its not affordable for me.
VL-10 for the high price and VL-3 is only 3W, doesnt help to make video without 18db noise :(
This 15-20W would be good for me.

Dale Guthormsen
April 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Dear Prech,

If you wnat to make your own, it would be easy to get a 12 volt light in any of the various wattages available (used in camp trailers and vehicles).

make a cigerette lighter adapter to hook it to any 12 volt sized battery you like to use. (could get used at a junk yard).

A dimmer switch could be put in line between the battery conector and the camera or battery and lighter adapter.

I suspect that in the end you will end up spending as much as if you bought a light for your canon camera suc as the vl 10, or vl 3.

good luck, like to hear how you make out on this!!

Prech Marton
May 25th, 2007, 12:20 AM
the unomat dc 3000 lamp also work with 5xAA battery, and its lamp is 20W.
so its possible!

Graham Bernard
May 25th, 2007, 01:28 AM
the unomat dc 3000 lamp also work with 5xAA battery, and its lamp is 20W.
so its possible!

Good advice Dale!

Tell me Prech, under what circumstances do you want to light? Give me an idea? What works for me is deciding just WHAT I want to light and then planning my lightning accordingly.

As with audio capturing - there ain't a mic for all occasions - there ain't ONE light for all occasions! But me knowing what you want to do might just give me an opportunity to suggest what might fulfill your/our XM2.

The VL3? Got one. PITA! - And as you say, it needs GAIN. And IF that's what I want - clubby type atmos with some drunken faces leering UP at me, fine!! Otherwise? Eh, not so much!! . . .

Graham

Prech Marton
May 25th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Hi

My goal is to make wedding videos without +18db grainy image at evening.
Lot of places has only some 60W lamps on the wall, and that's not enough for XM2 1/4" CCD. People doesn't want my 2x500W lamp, so what can i do instead of a good 15-20W headlamp? (maybe with softener)

Graham Bernard
May 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Hi

My goal is to make wedding videos without +18db grainy image at evening.
Lot of places has only some 60W lamps on the wall, and that's not enough for XM2 1/4" CCD. People doesn't want my 2x500W lamp, so what can i do instead of a good 15-20W headlamp? (maybe with softener)

Ahah! Now we ARE getting somewhere.

There is absolutely NO alternative to 2 x 500 watt lights -PERIOD!! if that's what you want to light, then THATS'S what you need. But I guess you kinda knew that? So why make the comparison.

It is all about compromise, suitability just WHAT the client expects of you and convenience for the event - both for the B&G and their F&F and YOU!!

What is it that your 2x500 watts WOULD have given you?

What is it that you CAN deliver with a 20 watter? Actually I've upt my spec to 30 watts, driven by a lead acid battery!

Grazie

Don Palomaki
May 25th, 2007, 06:45 AM
You cannot see 5 VDC at the power jack because the 2.5 mm 5 VDC jack only provides the +5 volt conductor, not the ground return. These power jacks on the GL and XL series (and on many other Canon camcorders) are designed to support selected Canon accessory microphones, the MA-100/200, and RFUs. They use the audio cable ground as the DC power return. This design is to prevent accidental overloading of the circuit (and damage to internal circuit boards or fuses) by folks plugging things into the jack that shouldn't be plugged in.

As to camcorder lights at a reception. No guest wants even 50 watts in his face at 5 feet. A guest that is drunk might even try punch you out for the insult to his eyes. (I've seen a photog's flash go flying after he shot a guest within arms reach once.)

I've used 20 watts in a MiniCool powered by a 12 volt battery (more weight to lug about), and recently a Sony 10/20 watt that uses Sony camcorder batteries. It gives "enough" light to bring out color and reduce noise, but reduces the pain for guests.

It is a matter of managing client expectations. Be sure they understand that if they want studio quality imaging, they need studio quality lighting. But then, most clients will judge the result based on what they (or their uncle Charlie) could achieve with their handicam.