View Full Version : AAARG - on "The Wall" again!!

Edward Slonaker
April 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Well, we're here in Boise tonight, on our way up to the Great White North when I had an epiphone for this DVC. Maybe it's my proximity to Lorinda that's made me a little sharper....or more creative minded.....or somethin'....

But, alas, I am without a lot of the tools I would need. Got camera, got Premiere on the laptop but still missing some "toys." No chance this would end on the 5th when we get back home. @#$%! I may be able to pull something out of my .... suitcase in time.

Oh well, I see my spot on the "Wall of Shame" hasn't even collected dust yet so I may be taking my place there again.

Who's with me??

Lorinda Norton
April 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM
WHAT???? You're in my town and didn't tell me???? Now it's my turn to groan!

If you're not leaving too early, shoot me an email with your phone number and I'll find you in the morning. I'd love to meet the man whose photos grace my desktop!!! :)

Owen Bickford
April 22nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
it's going to take some miracles to get this one out. the friend who is trying to help is also balancing the last two weeks of college, and I'm finishing some tracking sessions for my band. it may be a one day shoot and a one night edit.

Stephen van Vuuren
April 23rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Nothing wrong with the wall. I'm still on the shoot from hell that was supposed to wrap on the 15th and still going.

I have my idea/script set and I still am going to do mine, but since we are still shooting this upcoming weekend, I've got no chance of making it in time.

Josh Johnson
April 25th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Last time I signed up for DVC (DVC#?=Spirit??), I was on the wall... Looking like another visit to the wall this time too... Although, this weekend is looking good...

Kris Holodak
April 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM
...even with Dylan's extra 24 hours. Though if inspiration comes I'll try to squeeze it in. I'm so obsessed (pre-occupied, pathetic) with this 12 minute short based on late inspiration from the last DV Challenge that I haven't been able to think about anything else, so I have nothing for this one.

Contimplated plopping Blue down in front of the TV, but havne't thought of an actual story around that idea.

Smile,
Kris

Bradley L Marlow
April 25th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Blue is always a great idea Kris! Can't go wrong there. :)

Best wishes~
Bradley

Meryem Ersoz
April 25th, 2007, 02:13 PM
string me up. i thought it would be cool to try to make a DV Challenge video from bhutan, but the theme was a huge stopper. some of you nice folks made interesting suggestions about approaching it as "life without TV" but that still assumes TV as the determining vibe, and the vibe there simply doesn't support the whole notion of TV, so that wasn't really working for me.

life with monks, life with reincarnated deities, yes, life without TV, too cold to touch.....will have some interesting footage to post at a later time, however....

Marco Wagner
April 30th, 2007, 08:28 AM
nail me to the wood, i've had too many issues during the course to get something worthy put together. Darnit!

Kris Holodak
April 30th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I thought about throwing something together last night since Bradley at least is willing to watch Blue watch herself on TV, but then thought you all will have enough good entries to look at you don't need anything less than my best effort cluttering the process. Have fun with the viewings. I'm sure I'll be back next time.

Smile,
Kris

Sean McHenry
April 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM
All my heroes are dropping like flies on the beach head. What's up? I know. Everyone has a job and all that. Still, it was nice working under the fear of running up against some of the DVC greats. Glad the pressure has lifted and the sounds of static are fading away - until next time that is....

Sean

Steven Gotz
April 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM
My first signup and my first failure to submit. I had an idea and just couldn't get it all together into a project that made any sense. I think I'll stick to pretty pictures in the UWOL contests.

Bob Thieda
April 30th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Put me on the wall....I'm toast... :(

Bob T.

Marco Wagner
April 30th, 2007, 12:14 PM
My first signup and my first failure to submit. I had an idea and just couldn't get it all together into a project that made any sense. I think I'll stick to pretty pictures in the UWOL contests.

Likewise, we even filmed two days worth, but it would be a bunch of stuff with no point, argh...

Mike Horrigan
April 30th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I posted a Teaser (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91680) for my entry but never got the time to finish it.

Just too busy lately...

I will take the time to view all the entries and post some comments.

Good luck!

Mike

Bradley L Marlow
April 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Kris? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Meryem? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Mike H? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Dang nab it. Will miss your art.

Best wishes~
Bradley

Joey Taylor
April 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I worked 32 hours this week, and had no time to develop a script and film anything. I've got a great storyline to work with, so I still plan on making the short film, obviously not for the contest.

I'll post it when it's done, :)

Sean McHenry
April 30th, 2007, 11:24 PM
As always, I will be curious to see the total number of entries and compare that with the number of folks that couldn't quite drag it to the finish line (likely all for very good reasons mind you). I just like to see how big the competetive field is getting. It's grown with each DVC.

Happy to be here in the trench with all of you. And yes, everyone is a winner, even if DVC8 only got you out to shoot a few hours and you didn't quite finish. At least you got out and shot something. You might not have shot anything if it weren't for the DVCs.

Sean

Mat Thompson
May 5th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Gutted I didn't get time for this !! I loved the topic as well and had a few great ideas....ah well its the first wall in 4 sign ups I guess........I'll be back next time!

Andrew Paul
May 6th, 2007, 05:22 AM
The wall for me. Uni suddenly piled loads of work and not enough time. Roll on DVC 9.

Lorinda Norton
May 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
That’s too bad, Andrew. Your movie “Speed Camera Kills” came up when Dylan, Bradley Marlow and I were chatting by the pool at NAB last month—something about that hilarious gremlin getting vaporized, etc. I was really looking forward to seeing another Andrew Paul movie! We'll see you next time. :)

Andrew Paul
May 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks Lorinda, I will there at DVC 9 no matter what ....

Bruce Foreman
May 6th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Gutted I didn't get time for this !! I loved the topic as well and had a few great ideas....ah well its the first wall in 4 sign ups I guess........I'll be back next time!

Well, you've got company. At first I couldn't get actors, then about the time I was about to revise my idea so I could once again get in front of the camera and do it all myself I had an unwanted effect from some of the meds 3 docs have me on and couldn't do anything.

So I'm hangin' there right with you.

Like the line in the song says...

"So we tanned 'is hide, Clyde...
...And that's it a hangin' on the shed."

Per Johan Naesje
May 7th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Well as a first timer I should have finished my entry but this time it didn't work.
Too much things was coming up and the talents (the ducks) wasn't in the best mood!

Sorry guys, maybe next time...

Bradley L Marlow
May 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Bruce, Mat and Per too? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Dang nab it. Hope to see you for dvc 9.

Robert Martens
May 8th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I just realized I haven't said anything for days...haven't even been logged in, as it turns out. Must've cleaned out my cookies.

So I'm up here again, for the time being. Took me a week to come up with an idea, another couple days to get over my usual woe-is-me depression about not being able to get anything accomplished, even more to get some props and equipment, and when all was said and done, I didn't have time to finish what I'd wanted to. Around noon Monday I had an idea for a potential last minute substitute submission, and I managed to clean up my bedroom and shoot the entire thing before midnight. I cut it together, but the end result was way too dark. I'm used to getting acceptable results from this camera in low light, but I neglected to take into account how much is lost in the wide angle adapter; it looks better now that I've had a few days to separate myself from the footage, but the whole premise kinda sucked anyway, so no entry from me.

But all is not lost! I already own a previous generation Evolution 100 kit, so I'm not concerned about missing out on prizes (as usual, with some of these entries I wouldn't have stood a chance...real cops, even homicide detectives? How could I compete with that?), and I still plan to complete the movie. I've got my thirty-someodd yards of fabric, the thrift store suit jacket that doesn't button 'cause it's not my size, a thirteen dollar TV I got along with it, two brand new worklights, daylight bulbs for a couple of fluroescents my dad had lying around--from some ad agency in Manhattan that was moving out of their space in the late eighties, even with the bulbs they've got they don't flicker on camera, and there's no audible buzz--a few two by fours, eight cubic feet of play sand (it's white, for some reason, I've never seen that before), and permission to use the music I want. Can't let the musicians down, now can I? Here's hoping I get it done in the next week or two.

Sorry to hear so many of us didn't complete what we'd planned to, best of luck next time!

Kris Holodak
May 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM
But all is not lost! I already own a previous generation Evolution 100 kit, so I'm not concerned about missing out on prizes (as usual, with some of these entries I wouldn't have stood a chance...real cops, even homicide detectives? How could I compete with that?), and I still plan to complete the movie. I've got my thirty-someodd yards of fabric, the thrift store suit jacket that doesn't button 'cause it's not my size, a thirteen dollar TV I got along with it, two brand new worklights, daylight bulbs for a couple of fluroescents my dad had lying around--from some ad agency in Manhattan that was moving out of their space in the late eighties, even with the bulbs they've got they don't flicker on camera, and there's no audible buzz--a few two by fours, eight cubic feet of play sand (it's white, for some reason, I've never seen that before), and permission to use the music I want. Can't let the musicians down, now can I? Here's hoping I get it done in the next week or two.

Yes, please get it done. I'm very curious now to see what you make from that relatively random list of stuff.

Smile,
Kris