View Full Version : Need a weather cover for HVX w/ mattebox-- fast.

Matt Irwin
May 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
I just got a shoot in the desert with high winds forcast, so I'm looking for a rain slick or weather cover that will work with my HVX x/ Chrosziel 450 matte box attached. I could always go the way of clear plastic and gaff tape, but I'd much rather keep it looking professional...

Anyone use the Kata CRC-15 with a similar camera setup?

I checked Porta-brace, Kata, and Petrol, and didn't see much that would work with a mattebox. Didn't find much in a forum search either. Any favorites? Anything new from NAB perhaps?
Shooting in four days...

Thanks,

Craig Chartier
May 2nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
kata had a very tight cover at NAB for this camera. they were not showing it with a matte box though it looked like it would cover. it will take care of dust on the camera.

Dean Sensui
May 2nd, 2007, 11:29 PM
I use a Kata rain cover in conjunction with a CAVision Matte box.

I had to "rip" the first 3.5" of the seam at the front enclosure to get the matte box to fit through. It was re-stitched by hand and that wasn't a big deal at all.

Matt Irwin
May 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
Dean-- which model do you use? I'm close to ordering the CRC-15 since it looks like it has an adjustable draw-closure around the lens. The rest of the HVX covers I have seen seem to.... "fussy."

Dean Sensui
May 3rd, 2007, 12:44 AM
Matt...

Yes, it's the CRC-15.

It's easily "thrown on" and the drawstrings will seal it up nicely.

As you noted, some other covers have elastic openings that make them a lot more difficult to install.

Matt Irwin
May 3rd, 2007, 01:31 AM
CRC-15 it is-- thank you Dean!

Dean Sensui
May 3rd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Matt...

By the way, the CRC-15 has a sleeve that can be removed. it's a handy feature when the sun comes out and all that clear plastic threatens to turn the whole thing into a hot house!

And then the sleeve works to protect your investment against dust.

I shot a mototcross event and DID NOT put on the sleeve. I ended up brushing out dust from all the corners of the camera.

Luckily none of it got into the tape drive! Not that I use tape all that often.