View Full Version : Sports Score Bar

Michael Elsegood
May 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I am in Australia and I'm shooting and editing a couple of football games. I would like to make an overlay bar that appears at the bottom of the screen after each goal to show the score. (Australian Football is frequent scoring). I searched for tutorials with no success. Has anyone seen a tutorial online they could direct me to?

Regards
Michael

Matthew Amirkhani
May 4th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Hi Michael,

Are you doing this live? tell me which editing software you'll be using?

Matthew

Michael Elsegood
May 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM
It is to be done in post. It is to produce a DVD of the game which i have already shot. I have Premiere, After Effects & Photoshop.

Thanks
Michael

Martin Pauly
May 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Michael,

this should be extremely easy to do. I am a Final Cut guy, so my terminology may be a little off (compared with Adobe Premiere), but the basic procedure should be the same.

Using Photoshop, you can create still images for the graphics overlay. Use transparency to control where you can "see through" the overlay (completely or partially), so that most of the foorball game can still be seen. When you create the images, use one of the Photoshop presets that match the resolution and color space of your video (4:3 NTSC, for example). Then import this image into Premiere and put it into its own video layer in the timeline, above the layer that shows the football match. Adjust it's position on the timeline such that it starts and end at the right times.

You can fine-tune this process by using multiple images: maybe one with just the constant portion of the graphics (that remains the same for the whole game) and another one that has just the updated score - and make as many versions of just this second file as needed. This should make it easier to produce and maintain the different still images for the overlay.

Again, I don't know Premiere, but what you are trying to do is extremely basic. Maybe you can search your online help for the word "layer" - or wait until someone who knows Premiere chimes in.

Good luck!

- Martin

Mike Teutsch
May 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
It is to be done in post. It is to produce a DVD of the game which i have already shot. I have Premiere, After Effects & Photoshop.

Thanks
Michael

Why not just do a crawl at the bottom, using the Premiere titler.

Mike

Frank Hardie
May 8th, 2007, 04:36 AM
You could make a fancy, animated lower-thirds in AE, but for something as simple as AFL scores, I'd just use Premiere titles (File > New > Title).

Go St Kilda!!!

Michael Elsegood
May 8th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Sorry i wasn't specific enough.

I want to do some kind of fancy lower thirds thing like Frank said. I have been playing around with it in after effects and I seem to be getting it pretty close to how i want it. Thanks for your input.

Go Eagles !