View Full Version : MX-300 vs. MX-500 vs. Sony PDX-10

Pages : 1 [2]

Vladimir Koifman
May 22nd, 2003, 02:10 PM
Ariel,

In these balanced pictures MX300 has more "solarized" look. PDX10 looks more natural to me.
Also, PDX10 picture is sharper here. For example, the small-sized text on the red background looks almost readable on PDX10 picture, while MX300 is more blured.

To add to your comparison, PDX10 has slow shutter speed all the way down to 1/3. This way one can improve its low light deficiency for the price of some "jerkiness". 1/25 might be a nice compromise, depending on the scene.

Also, widest angle in PDX10 is not really wide. In terms of 35mm its only 49mm. You'd miss it, if you switch over.

Boyd Ostroff
May 22nd, 2003, 05:38 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Vladimir Koifman : Also, widest angle in PDX10 is not really wide. In terms of 35mm its only 49mm. You'd miss it, if you switch over. -->>>

37mm wide adaptor lenses are really inexpensive, lightweight and give good results. Kenko makes some really cheap ones, or for around $100 you can get better ones. And the PDX-10 comes with two lens hoods; the larger one works fine with my .45x "digital" wide adaptor and doesn't cause any vignetting. The wide adaptor also has 49mm threads which accept inexpensive screw in filters.

I agree, the builtin zoom lens isn't wide enough, but I really like the results with the adaptor, especially in 16:9 mode. And this is a significant point if you shoot 16:9, since the anamorphic adaptor lenses for cameras like the PD-150, GL-2, DVX-100, etc. are fixed focal length and can't be combined with a wide adaptor (for that matter they don't even allow you to use full wide zoom without vignetting).

Frank Granovski
May 22nd, 2003, 11:10 PM
Actually, the Tiffen 37mm wide angle is amazingly good. It's better than the 43mm version, though this one's pretty good too---just not as good as the 37mm wide.

Ariel Hershler
August 3rd, 2003, 02:28 AM
Just wanted to update all of you: after long weeks of agonizing, I decided to get the Sony PDX10. My dealer was really nice, and allowed me to pay for what amounts to basically just the difference between what I had paid for the Panasonic MX300 and the current price of the Sony PDX10 (even though my MX300 was over a year old!)

I am still trying to get used to the new camera, and will let you all know my findings after I have had some experience with it.

I'd like to thank everybody for their contributions. It really helped in making up my mind.

Ariel

Frank Granovski
August 3rd, 2003, 03:46 AM
My dealer was really nice, and allowed me to pay for what amounts to basically just the difference between what I had paid for the Panasonic MX300 and the current price of the Sony PDX10 (even though my MX300 was over a year old!) This may be because there is a good resale market for the MX300.

I look forward to your findings once you've taken the PDX10 around the block.

Young Lee
August 12th, 2003, 04:34 PM
You're comparing the PDX10 with the now-discontinued MX300?

Frank Granovski
August 13th, 2003, 02:51 AM
I think they were. :)