View Full Version : Focus Position Preset Question

Ryan Mueller
May 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Does anybody know how to slow down the focal change when using the "ON" preset button? They show that it is possible in the Product Tour, for following a moving subject, but I can't seem to figure it out. The focus always seems to change extremely quick. Thanks in advance!

Richard Hunter
May 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Hi Ryan. There is a menu setting, CAMERA SETUP - F SPEED PSET, which allows you to change the speed. The bad news is that the settings are more like FAST - FASTER - FASTEST and there is no setting that is nice and slow.

Richard

Ryan Mueller
May 11th, 2007, 09:00 PM
That's odd, cause in the XL2 Feature Tour they lead you to believe that you can make an adjustment to do a slow focus preset in order to follow say, a woman walking towards the camera. Oh well, thanks Richard. I do agree that the rack focus presets do seem fast, and there isn't a very big difference between the speeds.

Jarrod Whaley
May 11th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Yeah, the slowest setting will still rack faster than lightning. Don't blink.

It's a useful thing to have on the lens, don't get me wrong. It can be pretty handy if you're shooting a doc or an event or something like that where you just want a functional focus and not an aesthetic effect. It's pretty useless if you're trying to rack on a narrative shoot though. It would be really nice if it were about four times slower.

It's pretty impossible to hit the button without jarring the camera anyway, so I guess that makes the whole issue moot to begin with.