View Full Version : San Francisco Weekend Footage

Anil Dasari
May 14th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Friends,

Here is some footage I recently edited: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N3TXP72X

It's a 6 minute clip. The original is over 950 MB; I compressed it down to 200+ MB so I can upload. Obvisouly I had to trade quality for file size.

It's an mpeg. Plays with the latest Windows Media Player, or VLC Player.

Turn your speakers on. There's a nice foot-tapping song in the background.

- anil.

Anil Dasari
May 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM
it's Canon HV20. Completely handheld - no tripod usage. Some shots are digitally zoomed in post for effect.

- a.

Martin Newsome
May 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM
what were yo u setting did yo ushoot 24p or 60 i and if 24p did you use cinema mode? also thanx for sharing the footage

peace n luv

Martin

Anil Dasari
May 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Martin,

it's 24P with Cinemode.

- anil.

Javier Gallen
May 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Good shots, good handheld moves (especially the rotation one) with good "Bollywood style" music. :)

BUT I think is too long... I guess because the song. I prefer shorter edits, even if I have to re-edit the song himself.

John Hotze
May 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I thought it was well shot and edited. Lots of variety in the scenes. plenty going on all the time, and great camera work. I would have prefered it to be half as long and posted in HD to show off the cameras HD quality. Thanks for sharing you video. I would have never guessed it was all hand held and taped on an HV20 after hearing all the complaints about 24P and wobble. I think you just blew a hole right through those complaints.

Ajit Bikram
May 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Nice footage. Your handheld technique is really good. Though I agree with the previous post about posting in HD.
BTW did you increase the playback speed while editing?
Ajit B.

Anil Dasari
May 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Ajit,

you're right. Sometimes I sped them up, sometimes slowed down and a couple of times reversed the clips to match the music beat. The sea gull closeup, for example, was 4 times the original speed.

My trick for steady handheld shots is to shoot while holding the breath and standing still. I can still pan and tilt the camera without noticeable shake. Such shots, I won't shoot for more than 15 seconds (as I don't want to mess up my lungs).

I'll try to limit my future clips to 4 minutes or less.

Cheers,

- anil.

Martin Newsome
May 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM
i notice the footage lookes not as sharp on the cinemode almost dust like and older 1970, 1980 dvd kung fu movie i think that what i mean any one chime in if they understand what i mean it look dusty like, but loved the footage and the 6 minutes was just fine with me i apprecitate the time you gave too put it up and show to us

peace n luv

Martin

Anil Dasari
June 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
i notice the footage lookes not as sharp on the cinemode ....

Martin

The lack of sharpness is due to excessive compression. As I mentioned in the opening post, it's an 1GB clip reduced to 200 MB for ease of upload/download. The 'dusty' look in some of the moving shots is because of the dirty windshield of the car I's shooting from.