View Full Version : FCS 2 now shipping

Heath McKnight
May 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/16/final-cut-studio-2-shipping/

Plus, here's the white sheet on ProRes 422:

http://images.apple.com/finalcutstudio/resources/white_papers/L342568A_ProRes_WP.pdf

heath

Gene Crucean
May 17th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the white paper link Heath

James Miller
May 17th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Mine shipped today, should be deilivered on the 18th...only a few more hours...

Steve Benner
May 17th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Let us know how it is...why can't the upgrades be ready!!! 2-3 weeks still, blast!

James Miller
May 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Hi, Mine was an upgrade, I ordered the night it came online in the apple store.

Gene Crucean
May 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Let us know how it is...why can't the upgrades be ready!!! 2-3 weeks still, blast!
Yeah mine says it will ship by June 8th!! wtf

Heath McKnight
May 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Be patient. There might be an update available if there are any problems now. I like that.

I usually wait to update FCP, since I first bought it in 1999. Though when FCP 2 came out, followed quickly by FCP 3, I snatched up 3 immediately with no regrets. The others, I waited at least 3-6 months. A lot of the kinks are worked out.

heath

Boyd Ostroff
May 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I'm with you Heath, I always wait awhile. Ditto for operating system and Quicktime upgrades. I'm happy to let everyone else be the first to find all the bugs :-)

Steve Benner
May 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Hi, Mine was an upgrade, I ordered the night it came online in the apple store.

I ordered it about an hour after the presentation and mine still has not shipped. That is very interesting...let us know when you get it please.

Gene Crucean
May 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I'm with you Heath, I always wait awhile. Ditto for operating system and Quicktime upgrades. I'm happy to let everyone else be the first to find all the bugs :-)

Yeah I'm with you guys too. But usually I only follow that when I'm mid project and don't need added stress with malfunctions/bugs. If I'm not in the middle of a project, I'm all for bleeding edge testing. I'm a beta tester for a couple of the big 3d apps so it's in my blood :)

Dom Stevenson
May 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
. I ordered my upgrade last week. I was told i'd have to wait till june the fourth, but got an email today saying i should expect it tomorrow. I'll believe it when i see it!

Steve Benner
May 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM
. I ordered my upgrade last week. I was told i'd have to wait till june the fourth, but got an email today saying i should expect it tomorrow. I'll believe it when i see it!

That is even more intersting...if it is true good for you, but I will in turn be very pissed at Apple. Oh, you are in Europe...yes, I heard the Europe versions shipped first for whatever reason.

Andy Mees
May 18th, 2007, 03:44 AM
ouch ... you guys are getting totally hosed on the price in the UK eh?

James Miller
May 18th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Got it, unpacking now.

Steve Benner
May 18th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Got it, unpacking now.

Was yours an update or a Full? If an update, did it come with full box and manuals?

James Miller
May 18th, 2007, 04:41 AM
It was an update, full box set all the manuals etc, must say much better packaging. Installing Quicktime update 7.1.6 now (needed for install) UK

Steve Benner
May 18th, 2007, 04:43 AM
It was an update, full box set all the manuals etc, must say much better packaging. Installing Quicktime update 7.1.6 now (needed for install) UK

Thanks

Update on the Final Cut Updates:

Mine shipped yesterday, just checked, and I will have it by 3:00 PM today. Awesome! Apple site Updated so anyone ordering the Updates now take from 1-5 days depending on which update you pick.

James Miller
May 18th, 2007, 04:52 AM
The whole package options ticked is:
36gigs or 40gigs with DVD Studio Pro NTSC templates.

James Miller
May 18th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Apple Colour / Base Look Settings
Screen Grab

http://www.millermiller.co.uk/fcs2/colour_baselooks.jpg

David Scattergood
May 18th, 2007, 05:31 AM
:(
I've not that long had FCS 1...although to be honest I've far from mastered that suite. I guess I shouldn't worry about this new version too much right? :)

Boyd Ostroff
May 18th, 2007, 07:00 AM
The whole package options ticked is:
36gigs or 40gigs with DVD Studio Pro NTSC templates.

Wow, that's a lot! I was thinking it couldn't really be that large so I went over to Apple's site to check. But to my surprise, the full install is even larger... total of 59GB!

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs.html

• 4GB of disk space required to install all applications (Final Cut Pro, Color, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, Cinema Tools, LiveType, Compressor, and Apple Qmaster)

•Additional 55GB required to install all optional templates, content, and tutorials (may be installed on separate disks):

• 9GB for DVD Studio Pro content
• 8GB for Motion templates and tutorial media
• 24GB for Soundtrack Pro audio content
• 12GB for LiveFonts and LiveType animated elements and templates
• 2GB for Apple Pro Training Final Cut Studio Tutorials media

Steve Benner
May 18th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Wow, that's a lot! I was thinking it couldn't really be that large so I went over to Apple's site to check. But to my surprise, the full install is even larger... total of 59GB!

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs.html

I have a Powerbook G4 with 80 gigs total! I think I am just going to install the updates to the Studio already without the added Content.

I also cannot install Color as of yet because it will not run on my notebook. I am getting a new Mac (likely the 24" iMac) once Apple puts them through another round of updates (likely at WWDC), then I will install everything.

Heath McKnight
May 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Good gravy! That's a lot of sound effects, loops, etc., just for SoundTrack! I have a MacBook Pro, so I'll only be installing what I need.

heath

James Miller
May 19th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Heath, It is but they are a good set of effects & loops

Kevin Wild
May 19th, 2007, 12:06 AM
We got our upgrade from FCPS today. A few quick observations:

-For geeks looking to a lot of changes to Final Cut, you'll be disappointed. There are under-the-hood changes and a few features. But 99% of it is not changed...all menus are nearly identical to before. A little disappointing...I always love radical ui changes. There are NONE of these in this release for FCP.

-The new "Stablecam" takes a LONG time to render. I did a 15 second clip and it took about an hour to "analyze" the clip. WAY too long to use regularly. I was on a slow machine...Intel iMac (I'm not upgrading on our main machines until bugs are worked out), but still.

-Master Templates rock! BUT, I probably won't use them for real client projects. Maybe some people will. They are very cool...just drop your shot into the box, change the text and poof...it looks like you designed a really nice graphic...which looks awfully similar to the graphics your competition has...because they used it, too. :-)

-Color may not be as much a fun app as I was thinking. It's pretty daunting when you open it up and it definitely does NOT look like an Apple app. The text on the opening splash screen is horrible...I am surprised it was release as-is. I'm sure it's an amazing app, though it's now out that it may have some bugs already. (It does NOT support drop frame timecode! Levels can still be non-broadcast safe.)

-Compressor has an all new ui. Seems great, though I thought it was going to have WMV's built in and I was hoping Sorenson .mov's were, as well. Neither. Episode and Squeeze remain in my life... At least it does now have the ability to burn in time code like Episode has had...

-Motion seems to have gotten the biggest overhaul. A lot of new filters and behaviors and all. I didn't get to fiddle much yet.

-Soundtrack Pro got some really nice updates. An all new mixer layout which is great. It also has a search function for "music beds" and you can search by mood, style, etc. Good stuff in STP.

-DVD SP? I think Apple forgot they owned that app...

So, I think there are some fun new toys and changes in the bundle, but do not think you're going to be blown away by Final Cut itself. I still think they have a rebuilt FCP in the works for the next OS. Surely this wasn't the one we were waiting 2 years for...

By the way, I ordered my FCPS Upgrade the day of NAB announcement and got it today. My date said a May 31st shipment until yesterday when it suddenly said shipped.

KW
-

Heath McKnight
May 19th, 2007, 12:13 AM
FCP didn't change the look until the fourth iteration--maybe FCP 7 will have a new look. Color's GUI reminds me of the DVDSP 1 and 1.5 GUI--tough! I almost expect them to make that better, like DVDSP 2-4, in a couple of years.

heath