View Full Version : Improved method for true 24p using JES Deinterlacer

Brett A. Noe
May 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM
This is posted on the HV20 forums. Works correctly, and doesn't require any trimming in QT Pro!

http://hv20.com/showthread.php?p=1840#post1840

Austin Meyers
May 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM
as of lately i've been editing the 24p stuff without removing pulldown, then after i finish the edit i export out to a master file and then run that through JES as it doesn't care about edits and finds all the pulldown breaks etc and outputs a nice edited 24p final product which i then use to compress for web dvd whatever...

David Garvin
May 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM
as of lately i've been editing the 24p stuff without removing pulldown, then after i finish the edit i export out to a master file and then run that through JES as it doesn't care about edits and finds all the pulldown breaks etc and outputs a nice edited 24p final product which i then use to compress for web dvd whatever...

The only downside to this method, that I've found, is that rendered effects can still show signs of interlacing. So keep your eye out for that.

Austin Meyers
May 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM
i didn't even think about that, i've not put any text or anything on the stuff i've edited thus far. although it wouldn't be too difficult to bring the 24p version back into FCP and nest it in a sequence to add CG's etc...

Neo Castillo
May 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM

I just tried the method last night and it was filled with interlacing artifacts and lines. I will stay away from this method. Sometimes its best to just take your time and not look for shortcuts. I'll applying revere telecine to each clip individually. Good attempt though Austin.

Brett A. Noe
May 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I just tried the method last night and it was filled with interlacing artifacts and lines. I will stay away from this method. Sometimes its best to just take your time and not look for shortcuts. I'll applying revere telecine to each clip individually. Good attempt though Austin.

I noticed that the first time I tried using JES. I then followed this tutorial exactly. I haven't noticed any of the artifacts you describe. I compared the footage to that done with Cinema Tools. To my eye they appeared to be identical.

Austin Meyers
May 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM

have you selected "detect cadence breaks" and "suppress interlaced scene changes"? because those are critical.

Neo Castillo
May 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM
have you selected "detect cadence breaks" and "suppress interlaced scene changes"? because those are critical.

Yes. I find that if I edit the the 24p in the 60i container then try to remove the pulldonw to leave me with just the 24p footage the output file is just crap, but if I run the clips through JES using the exact same settings and then edit, I get beautiful 24p footage.

Brett A. Noe
May 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM
I should make it clear that I'm extracting the 24p before editing. This way the cadence feels right when I'm editing.

It also makes effects rendering a shorter process pecause there are fewer frames to render.

Neo Castillo
May 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM
I should make it clear that I'm extracting the 24p before editing. This way the cadence feels right when I'm editing.

It also makes effects rendering a shorter process pecause there are fewer frames to render.

Ok sorry for my confusion. That makes sense.

On a side note: Has anyone noticed that he file before JES is stereo and after it is mono using the copy option?

Glenn Horn
May 23rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
I was having the same mono sound issue with Jes 3.1.9. Did some searching and found vers. 3.2 was just released. Now I'm gettting stereo sound when I import clips to FCP.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13069

Michael Krumlauf
July 31st, 2007, 07:52 AM
I have been trying this method using this plugin for a bit now and when i go to select reverse telecine it is not a choice i can choose!!!! If you can see in the picture linked bellow this is what i get, its really pissing me off!!!!!

what am i doing wrong?

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/mikekrumlauf/?action=view&current=Picture1-18.png

Austin Meyers
July 31st, 2007, 11:11 AM
I have been trying this method using this plugin for a bit now and when i go to select reverse telecine it is not a choice i can choose!!!! If you can see in the picture linked bellow this is what i get, its really pissing me off!!!!!

what am i doing wrong?

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/mikekrumlauf/?action=view&current=Picture1-18.png

your version of JES looks different than mine... what version do you have?

also make sure on the input tab that it isn't showing the file is 24p already...

Michael Krumlauf
July 31st, 2007, 06:29 PM
I have the newest version of JES and the file was captured in final cut under the easy setup of HDV1080i60 so the file is at 29.97.

Austin Meyers
August 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM
just to verify, when you play the clip in QT it shows as being 2997? do you have a small clip you could upload? i'd be interested in playing with it....

Michael Krumlauf
August 1st, 2007, 10:56 AM
okay so i was messing around with the app a little more today and just to question something, i put a full res XL2 video i did awhile back which is a 24p file i went over and low and behold the telecine option was an option!

So what the hell, it lets me choose it on 24p clips but not 29.97 clips?

Just to make sure, i am using the HDV1080i60 easy setup to capture, i go and try to convert the file in the capture scratch folder correct? do i need to do anything extra to the file before putting it into JES?

Thanks

Michael Krumlauf
August 3rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Anyone know what might be going on???????

Are there any other programs for us mac users that we could try out besides this because i cant seem to get that method to work with my footage

Austin Meyers
August 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
have you reinstalled JES, like i said earlier yours looks different than mine, i'm using 3.1.2. your input and project tabs are reversed from mine. can you take a screen shot of each tab in JES as you work through it, ie. the input tab just after you drop in the file you want to convert, then the project tab when you're changing the settings etc... also of note if you have the "progressive" box checked in the input tab it won't allow you to inverse telecine

Michael Krumlauf
August 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
I have the newest version of JES, i installed it on July 31st!

Here are pics off all of my tabs:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/mikekrumlauf/Picture1-19.png
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/mikekrumlauf/Picture3-1.png
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/mikekrumlauf/Picture4.png

Hope this helps you guys, thanks for taking time out and trying to help.

Mike

Austin Meyers
August 3rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
ok i think i've got a handle on this now, it appears that you're using the 2.7.4 version for os x 10.3 and under... if you're running 10.4 you need to dl the 3.2.1 version linked below:

http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ejeschot/JES_Deinterlacer_3.2.1.zip

after running though the jaguar version it appears that it has issues with removing pulldown on hd resolution files regardless of their framerates

since it sounds like you're capturing HDV in FCP i'm assuming you're running tiger, so you should be able to dl the 3.2.1 version and everything should work as advertised...

personally i no longer use JES because i've upgraded to FCS 2 which has a pulldown remover in compressor

hope that helps

Tomas Chinchilla
August 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Humm, thank you man it was very confusing as I have been using it for quite a while and couldn't figure out why he was having issues.

It would be nice to have ProRes422 HQ Support from the DIRECT dropdown menu. I am doing it via the Export menu and it's unreal how you can abuse this format in CC (POST)

Austin Meyers
August 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Humm, thank you man it was very confusing as I have been using it for quite a while and couldn't figure out why he was having issues.

It would be nice to have ProRes422 HQ Support from the DIRECT dropdown menu. I am doing it via the Export menu and it's unreal how you can abuse this format in CC (POST)

interesting, i've only used it just to say i have, and i haven't done much CC work as of late, most stuff i'm just leaving in HDV with render set to prores. are you using Color or just the CC in FCP?

Tomas Chinchilla
August 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Combination of both, I need to learn to use Color as it looks like it has potential, I was surprised about Adobe Photoshop CS3 and how you can work with video there as well.

Robert Ducon
August 4th, 2007, 02:48 AM
I've used three alternatives for 24P (from the HV20's 60i stream):

a) JES

b) After Effects

and today

c) FCS2 Compressor

Results:

A - JES is good - works well, but leaves some artifacts from the deinterlace. works well though! Great for most projects - most people won't be able to tell.

B - Cleanest result yet. Probably a slight reduction in sharpness, but, wow - the image is as smooth as butter. Took forever to render, even on a Quad Mac Pro.

C - WORST results yet! Wow.. everything went macroblocky.. what the hell's up with that? It was very fast, and the cadence is correct, but the image is worse than the other two! Hardly what I expected.. (this is exporting to Prores 422 HQ!!) Am I doing something wrong? I dragged, dropped and set the settings as high as I could.

I'd expect Compressor would 'beat' JES, but not so.

Tomas Chinchilla
August 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM
I've used three alternatives for 24P (from the HV20's 60i stream):

a) JES

b) After Effects

and today

c) FCS2 Compressor

Results:

A - JES is good - works well, but leaves some artifacts from the deinterlace. works well though! Great for most projects - most people won't be able to tell.

B - Cleanest result yet. Probably a slight reduction in sharpness, but, wow - the image is as smooth as butter. Took forever to render, even on a Quad Mac Pro.

C - WORST results yet! Wow.. everything went macroblocky.. what the hell's up with that? It was very fast, and the cadence is correct, but the image is worse than the other two! Hardly what I expected.. (this is exporting to Prores 422 HQ!!) Am I doing something wrong? I dragged, dropped and set the settings as high as I could.

I'd expect Compressor would 'beat' JES, but not so.

I am confused again:

A) Deinterlace? 24p? (Shouldn't you be doing Inverse telecine on 24p material?)

Michael Krumlauf
August 4th, 2007, 09:06 AM
YES! It was the version of the software i got it to work, thank you so much! you all rock!

Mike :)

Michael Krumlauf
August 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
ok i have one more question, could you capture the footage and edit it in a 60 timeline then send ur master export to jes and telecine what u edited or is it better to just telecine the captured stuff and edit like that?

Robert Ducon
August 5th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I am confused again:

A) Deinterlace? 24p? (Shouldn't you be doing Inverse telecine on 24p material?)

I did do inverse telecine, but there are evidence of "interlace tears" still on the footage when viewed at 100%. I see it, and other have said this too.

I should note, these artifacts are there EVEN when capturing uncompressed footage and then running it through JES. But hey, it's free, beat Compressor so far, and gives me progressive. GO JES!

Austin Meyers
August 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM
ok i have one more question, could you capture the footage and edit it in a 60 timeline then send ur master export to jes and telecine what u edited or is it better to just telecine the captured stuff and edit like that?

you can do it this way... but you will get some weird jaggies on scene changes. you can tweak some settings is JES to improve it, but in my experience i couldn't get rid of all the instances...