View Full Version : What's the best way to downconvert DVCPRO HD P2 footage?

Shawn Alyasiri
May 18th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I've just acquired the new HPX2000 P2 camera. The HD images are fantastic.
However, I've recently had a lot of trouble with DVCPROHD 108060i footage tearing/warbing on the edges when trying to downconvert & play back in SD. I'd like to try 720 60p the same way. I've tried a number of options/settings, and I can't seem to get it to look truly acceptable in SD no matter what I do without jags/tears/moire, etc.

I'm curious what others are doing to successfully downconvert 720 60p or 1080 60i footage to SD DVD, or into an SD timeline for live playback into an SD VHS player, etc. I'm currently using Edius broadcast 4.24 (with SP breakout box) with ProCoder2. I've also got Vegas, PremierePro 2, After effects, etc. (although no live output from these programs).

Any advice is enormously appreciated.

Thanks.

Andzei Matsukevits
May 18th, 2007, 05:37 AM
search the forum, there has been a lot discussion about it...

Best way is via After Effects, next one is Virtual Dub(thats what I've heard)

Eric Darling
May 18th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Wouldn't the best way be the one that works well and fast? I don't use Windows for a lot of video editing (small hack together jobs in Vegas, when I do). So, I can't speak as well to full workflow as I would on a Mac.

If you're doing a lot of downconversion to SD videotape, you really should have a real-time video card capable of doing such a thing, such as the AJA Kona LH (or, in the case of a Windows box the Xena equivalent). That way, there's no need to do any software transcoding beforehand - it's all live and on-demand.