Nathan Quattrini
May 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Heres what I need to fit in it.

Canon A1 (hood on if possible)
Firestore
Powerchords/pack for both
lense covers
extra battery
shotgun mic (unless i get a separate carrier for that)
a few back up tapes

Would this bag work well for that?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/393466-REG/Petrol_PWR_HDV_PRC_DV_Rolling_Wingbag.html
I like the fact it has the free rain jacket, but does that jacket fit the A1? Thanks guys

Robert Morane
May 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
I have the Kata Mc61, it has lots of room and is very well made. Its kind of half hard case half soft.
I carry my A1, a WA, Vidled Light, shotgun, wireless Lav and Rode Nt3. Still room for chargeurs, cables, tapes and filters.
I am told it is OK for onboard flight, but haven't try yet and a bit worry about it.
B&H sells it for $180 and includes a trolley.

Dearl Golden
May 22nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
I have that exact bag and it works very well for me. I particularly like the "roller bag" part. I carry my A1, with lens hood on, Rode NTG2 shotgun, 10 tapes, Sony monitor phones (in end zipper pocket), extra battery, battery charger, the camera remote, various other cords/cables, and the instruction manual (don't leave home without it). The camera fits very snugly inside the bag with enough straps and padding to protect it very nicely and it doesn't move around.

I haven't tried the rain cover yet in a real world situation, but when I initially slipped it on the camera, it was a bit of a tight fit, but I think with a little more time and patience on my part that it should be OK.

Paul Cronin
May 22nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Hi Nathan,

Glad to hear you received the A1.

I use the Kata rain cover and like it since I can access everything with ease.

For a bag I use two:
The Lowepro Dryzone back pack there are two sizes I use the bigger of the two. www.lowepro.com This is a first class bag and carries the camera and every extra. The bag floats and is a dry bag which means the camera will not get wet when sealed. There are two zippers one is a basic zipper then there is a dry seal zipper. You only have to use the basic zipper if it is dry out side I use the dry zipper all the time on the water. We have testd the bag with weights and it will float with a camera and all the gear. Also the comfort of the pack is excellent and very adjustable.

The second bag is a ThinkTank airport check bag. www.thinktankphoto.com This is the best for travel and daily work on land. It fits the camera and loads of gear and it is a roller bag with long handle that hides well.

Both bags have excellent padding and you can customize the inside of each with velcro dividers that are included. Also both have extra flaps with loads of storage so you don't have to open the camera section to access paper items like model releases and business cards.

Hope this helps.

Rick Underwood
May 22nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Personally I Use Cinebags. I think they are great... they can be a little pricy in certain locations but if you find a good sale they can be very reasonable.

Happy Hunting..

Nathan Quattrini
May 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Paul, the backpack you mention, would it be suitable for hiking through the mountains of Taiwan? I`m planning a moth long trip to visit my girlfriend and really capture the beauty of the country in the time I have there. Do you carry your tripod on it? Does the tripod position hinder or bump your body at all?

As for a bag, any other thoughts on the one I posted? It would be for everyday transport to the woods, friends houses, etc.

Paul Cronin
May 23rd, 2007, 06:08 AM
Nathan it could work perfect for that. The shoulder straps are great and the waist band keep it stable. Also loads of straps and loops on the outside to add extra gear.

Here is the link to the pack.
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/waterproof/DryZone_200.aspx

Since it is not cheap you should make sure it fits you requirements. I have over 200 days on the ocean on both of mine with out a single problem. If you don't need waterproof which I think is worth every penny then they offer other packs.

Both pack and roller bag are rated as carry on bags with the airlines.

Sounds like a exciting trip and great oppertunity for excellent footage. Enjoy!

Roger Beck
May 23rd, 2007, 06:40 AM
Porta Brace makes some nice cases, pricey though. I saw this one at the store and it would work great, it has moveable dividers to keep the camera in place and enough storage for a few accessories although for lots of extras they make bigger versions. http://www.portabrace.com/productC-CS-DV3UQS-M4

Bill Doyle
May 23rd, 2007, 07:27 AM
Just my two cents- I use the Porta Brrace DVO-1U. It is similar to the ccase mentioned above, but with rigid sides for protection. It holds my A1, lavalier, shotgun, AC charger, AV cables, spare battery, filters and a Zoom H4 digital audio recorder. The DVO-2U has more room at almost the same price, but the 1U is rated as an airline carry-on so I don't have to worry about a last-minute cheked bag situation.

The camera sits in a cradle and is tied down for extra protection.

Nathan Quattrini
May 24th, 2007, 07:54 AM
The more I think about it the more I may get a backpack instead. I will do alot of shooting in wooded areas for my short films, as well as my trip to taiwan, so i don`t see why i couldn`t also use a backpack going to weddings etc if need be. May look a little unorthodox, but carrying is carrying, and I don`t want to end up spending $500 on carry bags.

paul, do you think a glidecam would also be possible to fit on/strap on/ or in that backpack?

Paul Cronin
May 24th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Nathan I carry a tripod at times in the tripod pocket strapped onto the pack. If I am not using a tripod I carry my DVmultirig on the outside. So you should be able to carry the Glidecam on the out side. Look at the details of the slip out pocket for the tripod.

Nathan Quattrini
May 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM
how is it on accessibility, all the images seem to show you have to lay it down before opening it up, else the gear could all fall out. It only opens that big pocket right? No bottom area flap that opens? (DRYZONE 200)

Also what do you think/have heard about this?
http://www.rotation360.com/

also...what are the general carry-on guidelines for air travel ... dimensions it mean, for a back pack

Paul Cronin
May 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
You are correct with the DryZone 200 you have to put it flat to open the big pocket.

I would not hesitate to buy anything from ThinkTank their stuff is first class gear. I have never used their backpack just the check roller bag.

There are two check bag regulations one for NA and one international. ThinkTank has both posted on their site.

Nathan Quattrini
May 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I am waiting to hear back from ThinkTank about the revolution 360, if its water proof or not. I really like the idea of not needing to remove it every time you want something, especially when hiking. I`ll have to make sure its plane travel compatible still as well. I`d love to get the dryzone if it had a fold out bottom compartment instead of having to lay it down. I saw Another Lowepro bag at the store that had the bottom compartment...not sure the model though, i`ll have to go back. Something AW...i forget

Robert Wertheimer
May 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM
You just might get that all in a Kata Shell -03 if you carried the mic in an external case. Though, I must admit that it would be very, very tight. I carry ALL the cables that came with the camera, the charger, remote, and 6 tapes or so and have room for a bit more. It's a great semi-hard case if you are looking for something very small and lightweight.

Heres what I need to fit in it.

Canon A1 (hood on if possible)
Firestore
Powerchords/pack for both
lense covers
extra battery
shotgun mic (unless i get a separate carrier for that)
a few back up tapes

Would this bag work well for that?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/393466-REG/Petrol_PWR_HDV_PRC_DV_Rolling_Wingbag.html
I like the fact it has the free rain jacket, but does that jacket fit the A1? Thanks guys

Maksim Yankovskiy
May 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM
After months of pain and suffering I am settling on MC61 as well. By the outside dimensions, it should be ok for carry-on (the limit is 43inches for the sum of all three dimensions, so the MC61 should be just a bit over).

I have the Kata Mc61, it has lots of room and is very well made. Its kind of half hard case half soft.
I carry my A1, a WA, Vidled Light, shotgun, wireless Lav and Rode Nt3. Still room for chargeurs, cables, tapes and filters.
I am told it is OK for onboard flight, but haven't try yet and a bit worry about it.
B&H sells it for $180 and includes a trolley.

Robert Morane
May 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM
You will love it. Let me know about the carry on thing.

Nathan Quattrini
May 27th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Had a hoorible experience going to Ritz Camera yesterday to check out backpacks. The A1 didn`t fit in ANY back pack without being a tight squeeze (too tight for my taste). I asked for help and the guy just kept asking "DId you try this one?" After I told him I tried what they had, and asked if he knew anything about other packs that weren`t there. So he took one down and opened it, re-arranged it and told me to try it. To humor him i put the cam mostly in but the eyepiece wouldn`t fit without breaking it off, and I told him again it was too big for the packs there...so he re-arranged and asked to see the camera, the first thing he did was try to take it by the mic piece...I refused to let it go and he looked at me like i was a mutant. He put his other hand under it after i didn`t let it go, and kept looking at me trying to take it, I told him to take it by the handle, "I`ve got it from underneath guy, I wouldn`t let it drop". "Don`t hold it by the mic, hold the handle " Again he glares at me" "Wow your pretty uhh..." "Listen I`m putting alot of money into this camera and I don`t want it broken." So he tries to put it in the bag again, again its STILL too big, he suggests pulling the eyepiece up to put it sideways, I say again the bag is too small, take my camera and walk out. Not a good place by any means for customer service.

Paul, are there any video shops around here that caryy video stuff more than SLR camera stuff? Also, they had the Dryzone 200, it seemed very heavy without anything in it. Do you know of a lighter version that size maybe?

Paul Cronin
May 27th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Nathan I have had similar experience at Ritz camera in Warwick and Newport. They are not worth the time.

As for other shops in the area sorry to say I do not know of any. I purchased got the DryZone 200 direct from Lowepro and the ThinkTank direct also.

The DryZone is a little heavy when empty but it is due to all the padding and heavy construction which is excellent. But for lighter packs I do not know where you can go to try out. How about a train ride to NYC for B&H? I think about doing this at times just to check out new gear but have not invested the time yet.

Bill Pryor
May 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I use the Petrol PCUB-1N. It has a large pouch on each side, and I get everything in them, including wireless mic, charger, etc.

A friend of mine got an XH A1 last week from Tapeworks Texas and got the free Camrade bag deal. I like that Camrade bag too. The camera itself actually fits in the main compartment better than my bag, and there's a nice tiedown strip in the bottom of the bag--you can loop it over the camera, and it velcros together. Nice to keep the camera from bouncing around. It's a little longer than the Petrol but not as wide because it has one full length pouch on one side. There's also a partition inside so you can put batteries, etc., behind the camera. I think it's easier to carry than the Petrol. It's also lighter weight but appears to be sturdy and well made. The Petrol has more structure, with hard end pieces and feet on the bottom, while the Camrade is more like a still camera bag. If you're going to be carrying the bag a lot, the Camrade might be better.

Maksim Yankovskiy
May 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM
As far as I am concerned, the only thing I would ever buy from them are filters if I am pressed on time and can't order online.

A long time ago, there were Wolf Camera and Ritz Camera. I once bought a pretty expensive Canon SLR, with two L lenses, flash, the whole bang from Wolf Camera. The salesperson was a pro photographer himself and spent a lot of time explaining the details of the camera for me. He only had used 28-70 2.8L lens, which I wanted new, so he said, "Buy the used one, in the mean time I will order a new one for you, but you will at least have the used one for this week to shoot." He kept his promised and called me five days later saying that I could stop by to drop off the used lens and to pick up the new one.

Alas, these days are long gone. Every time I am at Ritz Camera, which is not often these days, I can't listen to how the sales guys sell the camera to less knowledgeable customers... It's just horrible. My experience with trying to find a backpack there ended up in disaster - for the sales guy. I just asked him to leave me alone, because he could not provide any more valuable information to me. Plus, the prices they charge are WAY more expensive that you would pay, if you ordered the same item from the web.

Had a hoorible experience going to Ritz Camera yesterday to check out backpacks.

Bill Pryor
May 27th, 2007, 08:26 PM
All those corporate stores are not worth going into for anything professional. It's like a mechanic trying to buy a quality wrench at Wal-Mart. If you luck out and get a clerk who actually knows something...well, he won't last long. I think in most corporate stores of any kind today there is a company policy against hiring competent, knowledgeable people. If you demonstrate accurate product knowledge in front of a manager, they might fire you.

Maksim Yankovskiy
May 27th, 2007, 11:34 PM
If you demonstrate accurate product knowledge in front of a manager, they might fire you.
Probably because that will make him worried you are aiming for his job.

Kris Bird
May 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Slightly off topic, but I've been v impressed with Petrol ... In my case I needed to hold two, but the build quality of the bag is outstanding-

http://www.thehold.co.uk/misc/2x_XH-A1_in_Petrol_PDB-1_-_Top.jpg

If I was needing to house one cam, I wouldn't hesitate in picking up another Petrol- attention to detail top notch. I can't recommend a model/size unfortunately.

Nathan Quattrini
May 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
which model is that one?

I`m going to make a separate thread for the backpack hunt if thats ok with the mods. This thread is getting too hard to try and get separate answers.

Oren Arieli
May 29th, 2007, 11:48 PM
With a bit o' luck, and a willingness to think outside the 'overpriced pro-gear' box, I think I found a solution for my XH-A1's tender-lovin' needs. No offense to the Porta-Brace's and Kata's (I own a Porta-Brace and love it!); I just couldn't justify another $200-300 bag just for the name-drop value. By the way, the camera thieves out there (may Karma catch up with them) know you've got expensive goodies in the bag by the name on the side. Who buys a $300 bag for a $500 single-chip camera?
So, the moral to my story is this: Went to Ross, bought a Targus rolling briefcase for $40, modified it by adding some foam to the bottom, and cutting the interior laptop-holding pad. Now I have a LOCKABLE, hard-side rolling carrier (with telescoping handle) that fits the A1 with my AT897 shotgun AND my wireless mic bracket attached. Its got room to spare (especially in height), and a front fold-down compartment suitable for batteries, charger...biz cards etc.
Ain't life grand?
Here's a link to the exact model I'm talking about: http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TBR001US

Benno Reiss-Zimmermann
May 30th, 2007, 03:03 AM
i was looking for a backpack that would accept the a1. my research was pretty disappointing, since the camcorder is just too big for the average backpack.
finally i found the kata panda for sale at b&h. from the pics and the specs i guessed, that it would be big. haha. it's huge! i'm 6'6", but when wearing it, i look like a firstgrader. it's also not the pretties bag, but it has enough room for the a1, a glidecam2000, tripod, mic, laptop and lots of small accessories. plus, since it's a backpack, i can travel by bike, which was of upmost importance to me

Nathan Quattrini
May 31st, 2007, 10:18 AM
how useful would roller wheels be do you think? I found this bag a bit cheaper still with rain cover and seemingly enough room for what I have, but no roller wheels/pull out handle.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/399830-REG/Petrol_PCCB_2N_Camcorder_Bag_Kit.html

Just wish they weren`t all so bright and saying 'look at me! expensive equipment right here!' Is there any cloth safe spray paint out there that i could paint it black with :D

Janiel Corona
May 31st, 2007, 02:09 PM
I'm actually thinking about purchasing a decent traveling backpack for my Canon XH-A1. Something that's small, not too bulky, and handles the camera and bare accessories, tapes, etc. without a problem.

I'm leaning toward the Kata R-103 right now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368038-REG/Kata_KTR103_R_103_GDC_Rucksack.html

The price is right, but I'm still not 100% sure about it. I'd feel much better if I had a professional opinion.

Any help, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, guys. Thanks!

Jeff Price
May 31st, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm also looking at the Kata R-103. I have a Lowepro Computrekker AW but don't like its fit, the shoulder straps are really placed too far apart making it uncomfortable to carry. It is also heavy (6 pounds) on its own.

There are many things one needs to think about for carry-on. First, rules vary between countries. The UK had much more stringent size restrictions for awhile but they have been relaxed somewhat (but still limited to ONE carry-on period). Many airlines are now imposing a 10 pound weight limit for carry-on bags. Thus, you may not want a bag that weighs 6 pounds when you can get one that weighs 3 (this is especially true in Europe and with low cost airlines, also in Brazil). You may get lucky and they won't weight your bag - or not, then you have to check your gear in a soft bag at the last minute.

Finally, note that some smaller commuter plains don't allow full-size carry-ons and gate check them - surprise!

So, the moral is to not push the size of the bag and be careful of the empty weight if you plan on travelling internationally with your kit. Or, take a chance on locking a pelican case and hoping the vibration doesn't hurt the camera (but then TSA loves to cut the locks of pelican cases, even TSA approved ones).

Jeff

Bill Watson
June 1st, 2007, 01:09 AM
I bought a Pelican 1520 case which takes the A1 plus spare battery, hood, extra tapes, a couple of lens' and my Sony UWP-C1 wireless mike kit.

I then scouted around and found a backpack that it fits very snugly inside for $57.00.

The back pack is for fishing tackle! Made by Abu Garcia. It has two long side pockets, one on the top flap and two on the front.

Can't believe how perfect it is for my purposes.

There's no model name on it but if anyone's interested I'll try and find out from the tackle store.

Jeff Price
June 1st, 2007, 02:32 AM
Interesting approach. I know there is at least one company that does it the other way around. Think tank photo makes a backpack that fits inside of the Pelican 1510, I may take a look at one this weekend.

Janiel Corona
June 1st, 2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the advice, Jeff. I honestly did not know that carry-on weight was such an issue in Europe, but now I will definitely make sure to take that into consideration when I buy my backpack.

Eric Weiss
June 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM
i'm actually using an Eddie Bauer carry on bag from Target. It fits the
A1, Gl2, and HV-20 and a whole bunch of other carry on BS. I fitted it with foam inserts and use a portabrace sleeve around the gl2. All 3 cams right under the seat. I also carry on a Loweproe rolling backpack which fits my 20D setup, wireless mics, tapes, and all the other accessories for the video cams. That goes in the overhead. I pack my lights in a weather proof Petrol camera bag inside my checked luggage and swap it all around based upon our needs when we arrive at the destination.

Most "pro" bags are horribly overpriced and leave so much to be desired.
I once found a rolling sewing machine case for like $30 which was ideal for my XL1-s and Gl2. Top loaded.

Janiel Corona
June 3rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Haha, thanks, Eric. I'll keep an eye out.

David Sayed
June 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I bought a Petrol PWR-HDV bag from B&H (link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/393466-REG/Petrol__PWR_HDV_PRC_DV_Rolling_Wingbag.html), which I'm liking quite a lot.
It fits the XH-A1 with Anton-Bauer elipz battery attached underneath, shotgun mic in the supplied bag, furry windshield (flattened), handheld wireless mic, wireless receiver, Anton-Bauer elipz on-camera light and boomerang handle support together with various wires and other bits and bobs.
The camera fits its compartment well and there are two velcro straps to stop it from moving around too much. The gull wing design means that you can get at the camera quickly, and there is an extendable handle and wheels so you can pull it behind you.
Constuction quality seems good. I have a Portabrace Hiker Pro backpack for my XL-1, which has been indestructible, but it is too early to tell how the Petrol compares.

Ryan Hough
June 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Nathan it could work perfect for that. The shoulder straps are great and the waist band keep it stable. Also loads of straps and loops on the outside to add extra gear.

Here is the link to the pack.
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/waterproof/DryZone_200.aspx

Since it is not cheap you should make sure it fits you requirements. I have over 200 days on the ocean on both of mine with out a single problem. If you don't need waterproof which I think is worth every penny then they offer other packs.

Both pack and roller bag are rated as carry on bags with the airlines.

Sounds like a exciting trip and great oppertunity for excellent footage. Enjoy!

Hey Paul,
I have the same bag but I use it for my Canon 1Ds Digital camera. I re-arranged the padding in it and put the XH-A1 in there and the handle sticks above the bags bed. It will zip up but it doesn't fit so well in terms of height. The water protection carcass is also adds a lot of bulk to the ag and makes it somewhat cumbersome. I guess that is the price you pay for water protection.

Paul Cronin
June 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Ryan,

It is a tight fit on height but if you keep the camera in the middle it works fine.

Make sure you lube the dry zipper so it does not pop open. They give a tube of zip lube with the bag.

Yea the extra padding and dry bag liner do add the weight but they are worth it for me.

David Sayed
June 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I have just realised that the Petrol PWR-HDV bag does not meet the current European carry-on requirements of 55 x 40 x 20 cm (21.7 x 15.7 x 7.9"), which is a major bummer.

Nathan Quattrini
June 10th, 2007, 08:16 PM
for carrying I got the Petrol PCCB-2N. It has plenty of room, the handle is plastic which kind of makes a heavy bag uncomfotable to carry for long...also the shoulder strap is really short...haven`t found a way to make it longer. An ok bag, just wish it were a bit more comfortable.

For a backpack i`m considering this one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/301645-REG/Lowepro_3448010_Rover_Plus_AW_Camera.html

Seems to have the right dimensions to hold it all fine, just not sure if it can go on a plane safely.

Jeff Price
June 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I have my doubts that the bag you ;ist will work. As I recall it is two compartments - great for still photo gear but not so good for the A1. My Pelican case won't work because of the height issue (unless I sit it on its side, then it takes up mot of the case. The Kata bag I have works fine and it holds batteries, tapes, etc. - not a backpack though.

Dave Park
June 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I got the porta brace dvo-2 after reading this thread. It fits all of the accessories, camera, and canon wide angle lens with hood. Not much else is going in there though.

Christopher Warwick
January 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
My problem is that I will need my equipment for both filmmaking work and run 'n gun. If I wasn't doing run 'n gun, I'd be choosing the Pelican cases in an instant because I prefer the protection they offer as opposed to any petrol bags. However, they aren't really practical for run 'n gun work, so am going for the bag option.

My own view is that stuff gets broken more quickly if the disipline is to throw it into a bag. If I have the pelican case with foam pockets, I'm more likely (psychologically) to be extra careful with the gear.

I like the production cinebags CineBags - Life on Location (http://www.cinebags.co.uk/index.php?page=productionbag)
but I'd rather not pay £219 plus VAT for one... That's a tad excessive I feel. Why is it most manufacturers of camera accessories feel they can charge the earth for it because it's cool to.

Does anyone know where I could ship a cinebag over to the UK for less that £250? I did go to Amazon and saw them there in the USA on sale for $175, which is cool... until they demand almost the same again to ship it to the UK. Ridiculous!

Christopher

Corey Clark
January 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
We have a Porta Brace case that included a rain slicker for the A1. Nothing but good things to say about it... solid, customizable interior and more pockets than I know what to do with.

Porta Brace | DVO-2U DV Case with QSM4 Quick Slick | DVO-2RQS-M4 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577945-REG/Porta_Brace_DVO_2RQS_M4_DVO_2U_DV_Case_with.html)