View Full Version : Highest Quality QT export settings for DVD Pro

Ronald Wilk
May 27th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Hi:

I have had little need in the past to transfer my projects to DVD but the time has come. My most recent project consists mostly of animation (Frame=960x720 16:9@ 30fps). When it was exported as a QT movie using "current setting," the resultant resolution was more than acceptable when played back on an Apple Cinema 23" or a JVC Broadcast monitor. When the QT movie was imported into DVD Pro and the DVD eventually burned in SD with a 4:3 aspect ratio, however, the resultant quality was seriously degraded. While I realize that SD has its own inherent limitations vis-a-vis quality, I wonder if the problem lies in my FCP 5.1.4 QT export settings?

Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions,
Ron

Pete Cofrancesco
May 27th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Use Compressor to save it as an mpeg 2, it allows you to control the quality of the compression. If this isn't sufficient your only other option is HD.

Zsolt Gordos
May 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Ronald,

I have heard from someone expert here that DVD SP is way worse for compression vs Compressor. In FCS2 Compressor has got some facelift but it it seems also produces better outputs.

There are a couple of DVD output options in Compressor, depending on the length of your movie - choose the right one, then once Compressor is ready, import the output files (audio and video file will come separately) to your DVD SP as assets, then do the rest, e.g. menu creation, etc.

Btw, I managed to output a Hi Def (1920 x 1080) .m2t file with audio and burned on a normal 4.7 Gb disc - it plays back on my PS3 very nice.

Geoff Dills
May 28th, 2007, 01:39 PM
And I recommend first exporting from FCP a QT movie and uncheck "make movie self contained" to make a reference file. Then you can bring that into Compressor to turn into mpeg and it frees up FCP (if you export directly to compressor from final cut, you can't use it til it's finished)

Ronald Wilk
May 29th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Hi:

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll give them a try.

Ron