View Full Version : Low light Problems - Onboard Light Problems

Jason Balich
May 12th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Ok, I have been playing around with TV mode and Manual mode. Manual which I like the best. But I went out and bought a VL-10Li Battery Video Light. WHat a nutty light and the price is rediculous. What is Cannon thinking? I get complaints from everyone i blind with it.

Here is what cannon says fo rthe light "The VL-10Li is a 10-watt video light for both indoor and outdoor use."

I dont think it is for anything. Is there any way i can dim this for use on people? Say to get some acitate to dim it or something? People feel like they are being interigated with this light. What is the story with it and did i make a mistake in buying it? ANy suggestions are appreciatted.

Ken Tanaka
May 12th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Jason,
The fault is not with the VL-10 light. It's actually a very modest power light. A more powerful light will merely magnify the discomfort. You can try attaching some diffusion material to it, although that can be difficult, but in doing so you will defeat some of its effective illumination. If you've ever stood in front of a news crew's camera lights you know that that's even worse. If you're swinging the camera and light around a dark room, where peoples' pupils are somewhat dilated (both from the low-light and from other influences) that little 10w light will seem like 1000w.

Mainly, it's just the nature of on-camera lighting. For some situations it may be unavoidable. But whether harsh or soft, it's the worst way to light people (in my opinion). It can be very uncomfortable for the subjects, it flattens facial features leaving a generally miserable image for the lens.

Bud Kuenzli
May 12th, 2003, 12:07 PM
I'm aware that direct light is the worst choice but sometimes it's all you can use so my question is, 'do either of these lights create hot spots or is the illumination fairly even. If it creates hot spots, how wide of an angle can you shoot before you start to see problems?'

Tustin Larson
May 12th, 2003, 03:49 PM
To "Soften" the VL-10 light, I took some laminating sheets/pouches. One side is clear, the other is frosted. I cut them to fit just over each edge of the light, layered them about 4 or 5 high, and taped them in front of the light.

This laminating plastic is made to take the heat, so it works great. I will provide a picture later.

Tustin

Jason Balich
May 12th, 2003, 08:54 PM
You obviously have felt my pain. I look forward to seeing a pic. What do u do with your camera? How do u use the light in regards to projects?

Tustin Larson
May 13th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Here are the pics
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2569912.jpg
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2569913.jpg

Not much to look at, but it works. I usually mount this light on my mini rover handle, so it is not too straight on. I usually use this light for outdoor work, indoor work, lots of stuff. I have found that when you use the big battery, the light will stand on its own. So i set it on a shelf, a desk just about any flat surface, it adds new dimension to my shots.

Hope you like.

Please check out my picture w/info on holding the Mini Rover...
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2231890.jpg

Please check out my GL2 Title Mix Video Tutorial
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6136&highlight=title+mix

Enjoy

Jason Balich
May 13th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Im going to give this a diffusion of light a shot now also.

What is the mini rover for? Stabalization? I see it used with alot of sony digi cams in broadcast. DOes it make that big a difference and add alot of weight -or- add comfort?

Tustin Larson
May 13th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Yes, the mini rover is a stabilizer that works really well IMHO. Of course I don't hold it the way you are supposed too... but then again I like to find different ways to do alot of things. I will almost always use the MR when doing handheld work. You should try it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.. I would be happy to help.

Thanx,
Tustin Larson
TKL Productions